Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 11:45:06 AM
I'll read up on both.  Thanks.
Civ III has the same problem as Civ II--won't run on new machines.  IV sucks big time.  V I've played quite a bit.  Probably not as fun as II, but then it does scratch that itch for II, at least for me.  VI seems pretty good, but as I said before I haven't played it much.  I've been on RPG kick lately, so I've been playing them. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Who's got Tabletop Simulator?  I'd love to play Illuminati (small-card or CCG) or Nuclear War again.

Also, anyone wants my Steam ID, PM me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Failure to back-allow old games in OS updates is EVIL!  I'm going to have to buy an old PC just to play Civ2...

Speaking of old games, I wish I still had my Commodore 64 and Atari.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 02:44:12 AM
Failure to back-allow old games in OS updates is EVIL!  I'm going to have to buy an old PC just to play Civ2...

Arn't there simulators of old games for them online?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 28, 2017, 03:53:18 AM
Arn't there simulators of old games for them online?

I've tried a couple. Microsoft 10 resists them.  Or it might be my failure.  Either way, they sure don't make it easy.

Hijiri Byakuren

https://classicreload.com/
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 02:44:12 AMFailure to back-allow old games in OS updates is EVIL!  I'm going to have to buy an old PC just to play Civ2...

As much as I love backwards-compatibility, there comes a time when the system architecture has changed so much that it's no longer feasible to directly support a program any longer and emulation is the only remaining option.  Civ II was released for Windows 95, for pete's sake.  The fact that most of my library from around 20 years ago is still viable is nothing short of a miracle.

I've seen threads complaining that PS3 games aren't compatible with the PS4, and that's only a single generation's difference.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 28, 2017, 10:26:28 AM
As much as I love backwards-compatibility, there comes a time when the system architecture has changed so much that it's no longer feasible to directly support a program any longer and emulation is the only remaining option.  Civ II was released for Windows 95, for pete's sake.  The fact that most of my library from around 20 years ago is still viable is nothing short of a miracle.

I've seen threads complaining that PS3 games aren't compatible with the PS4, and that's only a single generation's difference.

Backwards compatibility failure is just lazy, deliberate, or uncaring programming.  The programmers or programmer managers could but won't.  My windows 95 PC literally fell apart in my hands last month or I would be happily playing it still. 

22 year old piece of crap.  How dare it fail, LOL!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 10:39:39 AMBackwards compatibility failure is just lazy, deliberate, or uncaring programming.  The programmers or programmer managers could but won't.
Computer backwards-compatibility is pretty good - it's the yardstick other backwards-compatibility schemes are measured by.  But sometimes, it's not feasible.  The 32-bit to 64-bit jump alone was a pretty massive change, let alone the hardware changes over the years.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 28, 2017, 11:22:51 AM
Computer backwards-compatibility is pretty good - it's the yardstick other backwards-compatibility schemes are measured by.  But sometimes, it's not feasible.  The 32-bit to 64-bit jump alone was a pretty massive change, let alone the hardware changes over the years.

I wonder how long it will be before changing the bit rate becomes economically routine to force new software purchases.  They KNOW we will be forced to upgrade.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 08:35:21 AM
Bookmarked it later investigation.  Thanks.
Just a word of warning: the games on that site will run slow if your processor isn't up to snuff.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

trdsf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 28, 2017, 08:30:33 AM
https://classicreload.com/
Bookmarked.

Also, Good Old Games has reconnected me with a few old favorites, in formats that can run on up to at least Windows 7.  Almost 25 years later, and I still love The 7th Guest.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 28, 2017, 12:56:10 PM
Bookmarked.

Also, Good Old Games has reconnected me with a few old favorites, in formats that can run on up to at least Windows 7.  Almost 25 years later, and I still love The 7th Guest.

My bookmark list is growing longer, and I thank everyone.  One day this week, I will sit down just to explore them.

Baruch

Games typically program at the hardware level, not the OS level.  Even if the API of the OS stayed the same, the hardware changes would kill your old games anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.