News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 08, 2017, 10:36:23 AM
There's no good answer to that one.  I've tried it both ways and I preferred letting him live.
I suppose it is an even up choice.   But believe it or not, I feel better if I let him live.  It just feels more 'just'.  It is sort of like not letting Caeser live on FO New Vegas.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2017, 11:55:53 AM
I suppose it is an even up choice.   But believe it or not, I feel better if I let him live.  It just feels more 'just'.  It is sort of like not letting Caeser live on FO New Vegas.
I kill the crap out of Caesar's Legion every time I play that game.  NCR 4 life!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 08, 2017, 12:15:39 PM
I kill the crap out of Caesar's Legion every time I play that game.  NCR 4 life!
I've done that way a couple of times.  I like to use the legion for making money.  I kill them everywhere and I especially like the assassin quads--they have good stuff.  My fave is to take over house for myself.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Woot, racked up some pretty obscure achievements today (obscure as in <1% people have it)

Amplitude has an Endless Day event, where you can unlock some new content if you accomplish certain goals during a roughly week-long event.

For Endless Space, you get access to a new hero if you win a game on the hardest difficulty possible during the week (technically, you just have to start it during the event, you can finish it whenever you want for the achievement)

So I went 1vs1 against the least militaristic faction in the game and bombed the holy hell out of them.  Technically, it's a victory, and victory is all that counts.  :)

Hijiri Byakuren

Working on a new Skyrim playthrough, but gonna do something a little different this time. In the past I've gone "all in" when joining either the Stormcloaks or the Empire. That is, if I go Empire then I also destroy the Dark Brotherhood, kill Paarthurnax, stay on the side of the Dawnguard, etc.; and as a Stormcloak, I go the other way.

This time, though, I'm weighing all the pros and cons, and creating what I see as the strongest outcome. First I'll be killing Titus II with the Dark Brotherhood: the Empire is clearly strong enough to take the fight to the Dominion, but Titus is too weak-willed to do it. Second, I will let Paarthurnax live so that he can teach the Way of the Voice to the other dragons. I think the Blades are obsolete at this point, and having some dragons that are sympathetic to the plight of humanity could be useful in the coming war. Third, I'll stick with the Dawnguard and possibly become a vampire in the short-term (I plan to be a werewolf long-term, so it doesn't really matter). Fourth, when the peace conference happens, I'll arrange things so that the Empire has the upper hand overall. Finally, when the dragons are taken care of, I control all the guilds, and am thane of all the Imperial Holds (post-conference), I'll join the legion and bring Skyrim back into the fold. Also, I'll goad every Thalmor I meet into attacking me, because fuck 'em. After that, I'll wrap up the rest of the "Become Thane" quests with the newly-conquered holds.

This outcome ensures that the Empire will be rid of its weak leadership and put folks like Tullius in a position to steer the state in a more desirable direction, while also having key alliances with every major group in Skyrim via the Dragonborn. Also dead Thalmor. Lots and lots of dead Thalmor. Because fuck 'em.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 22, 2017, 11:32:58 AMAlso dead Thalmor. Lots and lots of dead Thalmor. Because fuck 'em.
Agreed.  If they weren't such assholes, they'd probably be okay, but the seem to go out of their way to antagonize passerby - sticking their noses in your face in cities, parading captives in the hinterlands.  It's like they want a dagger in the back.

Also, the Empire needs some serious help at this point.  They really only have the support of Cyrodiil, Skyrim (give or take a few rebellious holds), and High Rock.  Hammerfell is officially no longer an imperial province, but there's some unofficial support.  Argonia is independent.  The Empire technically holds Morrowind, but swathes of it are under Argonian control and it's so devastated by the Red Mountain eruption that it can't do much besides tend to its own problems.

In the next installment, I expect the Empire to completely dissolve and a new political order to take its place.

Hydra009

What sort of characters do you guys play as in the TES games?

I always play a Redguard fighter (heavy armor, sword and board) with minor magical talent (mostly resto and alteration).  But instead of a big dumb wrecking ball, he was a decently intelligent and personable guy who tries hard to help and befriend townsfolk, especially argonians and khajiit.  He went to great lengths to rescue every enslaved argonian in Morrowind that he possibly could.  Doesn't steal, doesn't murder.  Fighters guild 4 life.  Pro-Empire.  Pro-Blades.

For Skyrim, I also played a much faster and sneakier Argonian mercenary (light armor, sword and illusion, bow and arrow).   Pro-Theives Guild.  Dark Brotherhood 4 life.  Disinterested in Skyrim's civil war.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 22, 2017, 03:14:14 PMFor Skyrim, I also played a much faster and sneakier Argonian mercenary (light armor, sword and illusion, bow and arrow).   Pro-Theives Guild.  Dark Brotherhood 4 life.  Disinterested in Skyrim's civil war.
I've done a few cheatsy-doodle characters, but my legit character is always an Argonian named Zillo. Zillo is a one-handed fighter who also likes destruction magic, particularly all things fire-related. Every male member of Zillo's family is also named Zillo, and every Zillo has the same fascination with close combat and fire magic. The Zillo men are the type who like to "do all the things," including thievery and assassination, but in large-scale events generally side with the Empire.

Morrowind's Zillo didn't do much beyond what Uriel VII sent him to do. He didn't much like Vvardenfell and just wanted to leave at the first opportunity. (e.g. I played Morrowind legit exactly one time as a kid and just played the main quest mostly.)

Oblivion's Zillo was a Shadowscale wannabe who somehow ended up mantling a Daedric Prince. He now goes by "Sheogorath," and the rest of the Zillo family shuns him for breaking with their naming tradition.

Skyrim's Zillo is envious that he cannot be a real dragon, and tries even harder than the rest to act the part of a giant fire-breathing lizard. He is uniting Skyrim (as I outlined in the last post), but aside from his other reasons he mostly just wants to live out his fantasy against Thalmor armies. He is currently looking into modsspells that would allow him to grow 300 feet tall, and thus find true happiness.

Mike Cl

Interesting.  I hate the Thalmor, too.  I regard them as I do the Legion in NV.  I kill them whenever I can--and I find they usually carry good loot.  I usually play as a Wood Elf because I love the bow.  So, I use sneak quite a bit, too.  I think of myself as 'good', but I also like becoming head of the theives guild and the dark brotherhood.  I am indifferent to the civil war, but usually end up being with the empire since they are anti-Thalmor, too.  Never kill Parathux and usually just leave the Blades, as they are way behind the times.  And I don't like being either a werewolf or vampire, but will do the companions and Serena's dlc.  My guilty pleasure is taking Sofia with me everywhere (a mod) since she has over 1,000 lines and has my kind of humor.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 22, 2017, 06:37:25 PM
Interesting.  I hate the Thalmor, too.  I regard them as I do the Legion in NV.
Is it because they're deliberated painted as cruel and hateful, just like Caesar's Legion?  In Skyrim, the Thalmor might as well be sporting swastikas and "kick me" signs on their backs.  If they were given a more sympathetic treatment (like having friendlier dialogue, treating prisoners less horribly, and being shown to be on the receiving end of Stormcloak aggression), I think players might react differently.  How much of player choices are freely decided and not just the predictable consequence of psychological prompting from the devs?

Shiranu

Just bought Detention, a P&C horror set in 1960's Taiwan during the height of their anti-Communist violence. Suppose to be reminiscent  of old Silent Hill and Resident Evil games, which felt appropriate to play right now. Will review in a bit.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 22, 2017, 03:14:14 PM
What sort of characters do you guys play as in the TES games?

I always play a Redguard fighter (heavy armor, sword and board) with minor magical talent (mostly resto and alteration).  But instead of a big dumb wrecking ball, he was a decently intelligent and personable guy who tries hard to help and befriend townsfolk, especially argonians and khajiit.  He went to great lengths to rescue every enslaved argonian in Morrowind that he possibly could.  Doesn't steal, doesn't murder.  Fighters guild 4 life.  Pro-Empire.  Pro-Blades.

For Skyrim, I also played a much faster and sneakier Argonian mercenary (light armor, sword and illusion, bow and arrow).   Pro-Theives Guild.  Dark Brotherhood 4 life.  Disinterested in Skyrim's civil war.

I always have a dozen alternate characters in TES games. Although Skyrim got rid of the attributes system, making alternate play styles kinda moot. But my main is a female Nord archer. She's a thief, and she has a sword for when she's forced into close combat. Later on in the game, after completing the main story, she became a werewolf. Previously, I had played the Companions quest up until the point where it became required by become a werewolf to progress, then put it on hold indefinitely. After giving it a try, I fell in love with the werewolf form.

I had her join the Stormcloaks. I sympathize with them, and their desire to take charge when the empire fails to stand up for them. Plus, the Empire attempted to behead me at the beginning of the game for the crime of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, so fuck them.

Although I have many alts in every TES game, I always recreate this female Nord archer thief. I like roleplaying as her, and justify it as her being reincarnated between every game, like Link is in The Legend of Zelda.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 22, 2017, 06:56:52 PM
Is it because they're deliberated painted as cruel and hateful, just like Caesar's Legion?  In Skyrim, the Thalmor might as well be sporting swastikas and "kick me" signs on their backs.  If they were given a more sympathetic treatment (like having friendlier dialogue, treating prisoners less horribly, and being shown to be on the receiving end of Stormcloak aggression), I think players might react differently.  How much of player choices are freely decided and not just the predictable consequence of psychological prompting from the devs?
I'm sure much of it is scripted.  The 'bad' guys are usually easy to pick out.  I guess there are those who like to go to the 'dark' side, but some reason if a faction or group have slavery they are automatically my enemy.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 22, 2017, 11:15:09 PM
I'm sure much of it is scripted.  The 'bad' guys are usually easy to pick out.  I guess there are those who like to go to the 'dark' side, but some reason if a faction or group have slavery they are automatically my enemy.

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the Dunmer then, who practiced slavery of mainly Argonians and Khajiit, but also of other races.

It makes sense that the Thalmor would be so malicious towards the Nords, though. They have a lot of history. From men coming down from Atmora to claim their lands, to having the audacity to claim a mere man to have ascended to godhood. TWICE. While they, the closest descendants of the gods, continue to suffer the mortal life that Lorkhan cursed them with. Lorkhan, also known as Shor, whom the Nords worship as the "dead god" that the elven gods had slain. Then there's the Nordic bloodlust that has kept them constantly at war with someone at all times, especially the elven races.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

I think the reasons for hating the Thalmor can also be viewed in a more meta way. After all, they literally want to unmake (read: destroy) the world: not just Nirn, but all of Aurbis. You know, the very setting that attracts people to these games. They're trying to kill the game so you can no longer play.