News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Postmodernism

Started by pr126, February 05, 2019, 01:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 21, 2019, 10:42:33 PM
No, the West (at least in principle) stands for liberty, equality, fraternity. While I do believe pr believes in liberty (at least, for people he agrees with) he has proven time and time again that equality and fraternity are two things he is uncompromisingly against.

France stands for that ... but I consider them the extreme West end of the East ;-)  I guess you have studied them a lot?  I like some of the French, but not all.  Every history has its stinkers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 21, 2019, 10:57:45 PM
Equality or equal outcome?

We are not clones. Each human is an individual with different qualities, aspirations, ideas.
We cannot all be the same.

I do not belong to a herd.

A French motto?

Those feminists who scream for equality should be asked what rights they had and now lost since November 2016?

Or for that matter, what rights Americans had, that has been revoked by law after November 2016?

This is why all French are equally annoying, right? ;-)  You and I are more Anglophile than Shiranu by far.  And as such, traditional enemies of France.

French culture is an acquired taste.  You aren't so old you can't have a taste ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

We are not clones. Each human is an individual with different qualities, aspirations, ideas.
We cannot all be the same.

That is not what equality means.

QuoteI do not belong to a herd.

Yes, you do actually.

QuoteA French motto?

Yes, a French motto... which, if you knew anything about Western culture you lament about so much about, you would know the French have been far and away the biggest contributor to Western culture since the Greeks and the Romans.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on February 21, 2019, 11:38:17 PM
France stands for that ... but I consider them the extreme West end of the East ;-)  I guess you have studied them a lot?  I like some of the French, but not all.  Every history has its stinkers.

I would definitely say the French are the "extreme West", and I certainly don't like large aspects of French culture and history. But like it or not, both on a secular and religious level, both in actions and in philosophy, the French have done more to influence the rest of Western civilization around them than any other nation by far.

QuoteYou and I are more Anglophile than Shiranu by far.  And as such, traditional enemies of France.

I have to confess, my dad's side of the family is of Alsatian descent so... I have to have some bias, both in favour of France and against England ;).

Besides the rest of the German on that side of my family, I also have Scottish and Irish on my mom's side... so I suppose it was just fate that me and pr should be eternal enemies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

... the French have been far and away the biggest contributor to Western culture since the Greeks and the Romans - Shiranu

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”― Charles de Gaulle

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/non_fictionreviews/3667789/A-land-of-246-kinds-of-cheese.html

"If only God were a decent man." - a French saying ... if only ... indeed!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Shiranu on February 21, 2019, 11:42:45 PM
That is not what equality means.

Yes, you do actually.

Yes, a French motto... which, if you knew anything about Western culture you lament about so much about, you would know the French have been far and away the biggest contributor to Western culture since the Greeks and the Romans.

"Yes, you do actually. "

You know best.

So what rights and privileges have you lost since November 2016?

Shiranu

QuoteYou know best.

Not really, I just know that being part of "a herd" is a fundamental aspect of humanity, given we are social creatures.

pr126

You still haven't listed the rights and privileges lost because of the wretched Republicans in 2016 to make your lives utterly miserable.

Not to worry, Bernie is running again for 2020.  Don't forget to vote.
Probably AOC as Vice? :-)

Shiranu

QuoteYou still haven't listed the rights and privileges lost because of the wretched Republicans in 2016 to make your lives utterly miserable.

Probably because it's irrelevant to anything that was being discussed.

pr126

Quote from: Shiranu on February 22, 2019, 01:28:32 AM
Probably because it's irrelevant to anything that was being discussed.

Or probably because there aren't any.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on February 22, 2019, 01:42:15 AM
Or probably because there aren't any.

- The right to be openly transgendered and serve in the military.
- The right to (comparatively) affordable healthcare
- The right to unionize and have organizations dedicated to protecting my rights as a worker
- For women, the right to certain forms of birth control and the right to their own body
- The right to work for a small business, a system that is increasingly going out of business thanks to laws that (generally) Republicans (though most mainstream Democrats are pro-corporation as well) pass
- The right to not have my taxes dollars contribute to a globally recognized human rights violation in Trump's program of child seperation.
- For my minority friends, the right to have their vote heard and not be silenced by voter registration laws.

Thank you, next.

pr126

Thanks. At least we know what makes you miserable, comrade.

BTW, Trump's program of child separation was active under Obama as well.

Children were separated because of the parents went to jail.
Usually, children aren't incarcerated with their parents.

What to do?

Transgenders (More an ideological construct that natural occurrence) would not fare well in the Army.
A whole lot of problems arise not just for the transgendered but to others as well.

But how many transgender soldiers where in the past?

Apart from Corporal Maxwell Q. Klinger?

I could pick holes in the others on the list, but there is no easy changing of the indoctrinated.
Wasted effort. Have your grievances, you need them.

Shiranu

I'm not in the mood to get into it, but A+ for the M*A*S*H* reference, one of my favorite series.

Baruch

I have a right to free everything, and I want pr126 to pay for it, the thug! - Labor party (ironically opposed to women going into labor).

What did the mayor of London do to Watt Tyler?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!