News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV from waaaaaay back

Started by trdsf, February 04, 2019, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I saw Shatner in Alexander the Great, long after it came out.  But I didn't remember Adam West.  Thanks for the blast from the past.  Sexist and racist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Wow, I almost feel a religious compulsion to watch that!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 13, 2019, 01:44:48 PM
Wow, I almost feel a religious compulsion to watch that!

You come for the sexism and racism, but stay for the over-acting ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

When there were only a few channels, we always found something to watch.  Now with dozens of HDTV channels, I get bored.  Positive proof that everything is diminished in quality.  Content divided by number of channels just produces worse shows...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Too much choice (overchoice) can cause a variety of negative psychological effects, like decision paralysis and discontent.

It helps to narrow your parameters and realize that even great shows have the occasional bad episode and that's okay - you can't hold out for perfection.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 14, 2019, 10:32:02 AM
Too much choice (overchoice) can cause a variety of negative psychological effects, like decision paralysis and discontent.

It helps to narrow your parameters and realize that even great shows have the occasional bad episode and that's okay - you can't hold out for perfection.

When I was a child, we watched what Dad wanted to watch on TV when he got home.  That was Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Virginian.  Dad ruled the TV after dinner.  To be fair, we kids ruled the TV in the weekend morning cartoons, and Mom controlled it in the mid-day.

Most of the evening shows were pretty good.  I thought very highly of Adam on Bonanza, and Palladin (sp?) on Have Gun, Will Travel.  But I learned that the more shows there were, the more the creative talent got spread around.  I stopped watching around 15.  The Star Trek showed up, and I was back.

After that it was back to the "Ho-Hum" for a decade...  Then Babylon 5 and the story arcs where I realized some people were doing something beyond episodic plots (where every show didn't just restart the characters from no past).  Which is, I suppose why I liked Japanese anime when it showed up (because at least there was a story being told , if very slowly).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 14, 2019, 10:32:02 AM

I've heard of that strange psychological effect before. I have a cousin who said TESIII: Morrowind gave him headaches because it was too open ended. He didn't know what to do with all of his options, and that caused him physical discomfort.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 14, 2019, 01:09:12 PM
I've heard of that strange psychological effect before. I have a cousin who said TESIII: Morrowind gave him headaches because it was too open ended. He didn't know what to do with all of his options, and that caused him physical discomfort.

This is why men are stereotyped as bouncing from channel to channel, annoying their other family members.

Cavebear ... my dad was the same  And most of my life growing up, we only had one TV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

My dad, too, controlled the TV in the evenings.  But for most of my life we only had 1 station--then in HS we moved to Portland and he was the controller.  Then we moved to small, small, small town CA (Dad worked at an ammo dump and the town around it was small in case the whole base went up--fewer dead then) and we had only 3 stations--2 if the weather was bad.  He still chose tho. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 14, 2019, 09:20:56 PM
My dad, too, controlled the TV in the evenings.  But for most of my life we only had 1 station--then in HS we moved to Portland and he was the controller.  Then we moved to small, small, small town CA (Dad worked at an ammo dump and the town around it was small in case the whole base went up--fewer dead then) and we had only 3 stations--2 if the weather was bad.  He still chose tho.

Because of Dad, I knew Gunsmoke and Virginian, but not Bonanza.  That and Combat starring Vick Morrow.  Always wondered why I grew up so violent ;-(  Comedy initially was Laugh-In.  Later it was Sanford & Son and All In The Family.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

When I was in a foster home in east Texas, we'd come in from the fields for "dinner" (that's what we called lunch) and dad would have to watch his soap opera, I forget which one, but he HAD to watch it every day. He hated the weekends because "his show" wasn't on.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 15, 2019, 06:08:41 AM
Because of Dad, I knew Gunsmoke and Virginian, but not Bonanza.  That and Combat starring Vick Morrow.  Always wondered why I grew up so violent ;-(  Comedy initially was Laugh-In.  Later it was Sanford & Son and All In The Family.
Loved Combat--where are the reruns????!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

And then, of course, there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTpm0k23iV4

A few years ago I binge-watched this whole sit com on youtube. I loved it!
God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.