News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV from waaaaaay back

Started by trdsf, February 04, 2019, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 04, 2019, 02:52:24 PM
I'm fairly certain the voice actors of those chipmunks just cheat and change the pitch of their voices in post. I could do the same with any old cassette player. (Yes, I am old enough to remember those.)

Dave (Ross Bagdasarian), the human guy, did all the voices using sped-up recordings.  In spite of rumors at the time, helium was not involved.  It sure sounded like it though....
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on March 07, 2019, 06:43:09 AM
Dave (Ross Bagdasarian), the human guy, did all the voices using sped-up recordings.  In spite of rumors at the time, helium was not involved.  It sure sounded like it though....

Yup. I remember doing that with cassette players. Fast-forward + play. I never understood why fast equaled higher pitch, though.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 07, 2019, 11:48:10 AM
Yup. I remember doing that with cassette players. Fast-forward + play. I never understood why fast equaled higher pitch, though.

You do now, right?  Higher apparent pitch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I remember when ABC came on the air for the first time. The local newspapers carried a front page story about where to find it on the dial with twelve numbers.

I spent the next twelve years as my Mother's remote control.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 07, 2019, 11:48:10 AM

Less time between wavelengths... Think of it as blueshift and I bet it makes more sense...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

OR the lower pitches don't come through at that speed, meaning you only hear the higher notes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

I dunno. I can talk fast, and my voice doesn't suddenly go up in pitch. I can also change the settings in YouTube to double the play speed, and the pitch seems to be unaffected. Maybe YouTube automatically lowers the pitch at higher speeds to counter the effect of speeding up the sound? I don't really know what the difference is. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 07, 2019, 05:01:50 PM
I remember when ABC came on the air for the first time. The local newspapers carried a front page story about where to find it on the dial with twelve numbers.

I spent the next twelve years as my Mother's remote control.
Our local stations weren't fully dedicated to their networks until the late 1960s.  What became the ABC affiliate was originally the flagship station in an attempt at building a fourth network in the mid-1960s.  WSPD-TV 13 was the first TV station in Toledo, and was affiliated jointly or individually with all four networks (NBC, CBS, ABC and DuMont) at one point or another.  WTOL-TV 11 then came on as the CBS affiliate, and after that 13 picked and chose between NBC and ABC's programming... with 11 showing the NBC programs that 13 didn't.  WDHO-TV 24 followed in the middle '60s as the flagship Overmeyer Network station... which network lasted a whole 31 days.  Eventually, WDHO became the ABC affiliate and WSPD did only NBC so WTOL could only do CBS.  Until the 80s and 90s when WDHO became WNWO and an NBC affiliate and WSPD became WTVG and an ABC affiliate (now joint ABC/CW affiliate), and relative newcomer WUPW-TV 36 which is a FOX affiliate, except they have their news produced by WTOL and is somehow Channel 36 despite being on 46, and moving to 26.

Have I mentioned that Toledo is weird?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Speaking of old TV, may I present the Battle of the Mustaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnqOMALnYE
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I doubt that I could've won the thousand bucks with those questions! LOL Groucho had some really funny people on that show, but it's usually him smoking the cigar.

Some of the old game shows were pretty good. Here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdkrrP53I8
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I bet a lot of younger people won't even know who Adam West was, but many of us of a certain age will remember him quite fondly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS3K9tMFDE
God Not Found

Baruch

Wasn't he the mayor, for awhile in Springfield, in Simpson's land?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on March 09, 2019, 10:46:47 PM
Wasn't he the mayor, for awhile in Springfield, in Simpson's land?

No. In family guy land.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 10, 2019, 05:24:41 PM
He was also D.B. Cooper in News Radio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtb2k6OFkc
I <3 Adam West so much.  I don't think anyone was ever so genre-savvy.

By the bye, if you can handle so much over-acting in one show... there was a pilot made for an Alexander the Great TV series in the 60s... starring William Shatner as Alexander and co-starring Adam West, as well as guest stars John Cassavetes (or, in the pseudo-Greek letters they used, John CassavStSs) and Joseph Cotten (CottSn)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4yObXTbySI