News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's the nerdiest thing you have/do?

Started by Plu, January 31, 2019, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Probably the nerdiest thing I do is study Elder Scrolls lore, which goes a lot deeper than you might think. I also like to roleplay, and would like to join a game of D&D after a get a job with a more consistent schedule. I've learned how to use a few game creator engines, and I've made some sprites to work with. I haven't heard about this Star Wars: Armada game, but I have tried Heroscape recently, and it seems similar in concept with its expensive figurines used as game pieces.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 01, 2019, 05:22:33 PM
Probably the nerdiest thing I do is study Elder Scrolls lore, which goes a lot deeper than you might think.
CHIM
Dragonbr̵̷͡e̛a͝k̡҉̨
Mantling
Zero-Sum

Also, Lorkhan did nothing wrong.

trdsf

Oh, holy Bob.  How much space does this board have?

Let's see... just on top of the hutch on my computer desk is a LEGO Companion Cube (from the Portal games), a stick-and-ball model of a caffeine molecule, my COSWN ID tag, a wrist-worn compass of the type issued to Soviet cosmonauts in the 60s and early 70s, and a custom action figure of the character I wrote in our APA in the early 90s.  On the dresser next to me, my coin folders, most of my fountain pen inks, a lava lamp, my amateur radio license, and a can of Jolt Cola.

Glancing to my left are on display three Illuminati: New World Order cards autographed by designer Steve Jackson, my shortwave receiver, copies of the two APAs I belonged to, a test tube rack holding about 30 ink samples, and the base of a desk pen set (the pen is out for repairs) commemorating the Luna 2 mission.

Over my left shoulder, the 2' plush Dalek I crocheted a couple years ago (the plush Cthulhu is in the living room), the Pop! figures of Tom Servo and Crow T Robot, a Dilbert lunchbox, and a microVAX 3000.  Directly behind, a Dalek pencil case repurposed to hold my gaming dice, on the nightstand.  Nothing but bed and wall to the right.  Except for the vintage PC-XT and Terak systems in the corner.

And that's without leaving my bedroom, and leaves out several areas of interest, and doesn't get anywhere near my library.

I know, I'm hopeless.  XD
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2019, 09:26:29 PM
What, no Jar Jar Binks in-action figurine? ;-))
No. That's only on my desk--right next to my Taz bobble head.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 01, 2019, 09:00:52 PMthe plush Cthulhu is in the living room
I have one of those, too.  My nightstand has a nice little cubbyhole for it.  I enjoy the contrast of cute and scary.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 01, 2019, 11:20:14 PM
I have one of those, too.  My nightstand has a nice little cubbyhole for it.  I enjoy the contrast of cute and scary.
I crocheted mine out of rainbow yarn so I could have a sort of tie-dye Cthulhu.

My Dalek is made from the same yarn.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 01, 2019, 05:22:33 PM
Probably the nerdiest thing I do is study Elder Scrolls lore, which goes a lot deeper than you might think. I also like to roleplay, and would like to join a game of D&D after a get a job with a more consistent schedule. I've learned how to use a few game creator engines, and I've made some sprites to work with. I haven't heard about this Star Wars: Armada game, but I have tried Heroscape recently, and it seems similar in concept with its expensive figurines used as game pieces.
I do the same with Warhammer 40k lore
I binge youtube videos on it

Unbeliever

I guess about the nerdiest thing I do is play with a Rubik's cube. Can't do all the other nerdy stuff I'd enjoy without money.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Ever try Avalon Hill games?  I'm getting ready to play Gettysburg.  Just need to build a table cover so the cats won't "play" the game while I sleep...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 02:29:11 AM
Ever try Avalon Hill games?  I'm getting ready to play Gettysburg.  Just need to build a table cover so the cats won't "play" the game while I sleep...  LOL!

Good luck ignoring your masters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 03, 2019, 04:03:43 AM
Good luck ignoring your masters.

Gluing a plastic table cover box 3" high to protect the pieces...

They love me, but they can't open food cans.  I and they all know which species runs this place...

Munch

I've got a large poster of jason momoa as aquaman on my wall. could call it nerdy, but could just as much say its an appreciation of the male form.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Yeah!  Bet the girls can't do that either ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.