News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What's the nerdiest thing you have/do?

Started by Plu, January 31, 2019, 03:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Just curious after seeing the D&D thread. For me, D&D used to be the nerdiest thing that I do, but it actually got beaten out by a new game I picked up, Star Wars: Armada.

Now I own a bunch of plastic spaceships that you game with on a table and holy crap is that game ever nerdy. And amazing. I'm loving it, but it's really hard to find other players, because very few people are willing to invest in it. Expensive hobby. But very pretty.

Especially my new Hammerheads, which just came in today.

Gotta love that Star Wars spaceship look :grin:

Hydra009

I try to resist seeing things in terms of nerdy/non-nerdy, because "nerdy" has often been used a pejorative.  Though, for some strange reason, I doubt that I could convince many people to put into their own words exactly what's wrong with liking science fiction, fantasy, or superheroes.

But to answer the question, it would probably be unabashedly singing White And Nerdy at work.  Or consulting real star charts with screenshots from Battlestar Galactica to try to figure out how close the Battlestar Galactica was getting to Earth.  Or editing XML files in a scifi video game so that the game's star names more closely resemble real star names.

GrinningYMIR

Ive got a lot but I cureently  have the Normandy SR-2 Cerberus in a fish tank. Plus where did you get the hammerhead? I’d love one of the kotor ones
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Plu

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on January 31, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
Ive got a lot but I cureently  have the Normandy SR-2 Cerberus in a fish tank. Plus where did you get the hammerhead? I’d love one of the kotor ones

The Hammerhead is a model from the Star Wars: Armada tabletop wargame. You can buy them from Fantasy Flight if you really want one, but they're quite small and they're mounted on a special gaming-stand, so they're not ideal if you just want something pretty to look at.

Mr.Obvious

I play pokémon games.
I try to write. Stories and poetry.
I watch anime and cartoons.
When I have time, I sometimes read manga and (mostly Belgian) comic books.
I love playing board games.
I also enjoy the occasional round of MTG.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

aitm

I can attach pictures to a text now.....wat?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Nerd nerd nerd, the nerd is the word! LOL

I like the Big Bang Theory - does that make me a nerd?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

top of my wardrobe had figures and statues of my fav comic book and movie characters, I have like 7 wolverine ones, 3 of beast from x-men, a captain america one, one of marvels hercules, a kimhari statue from ffx, and a large Aragorn statue when lord of the rings movies were at their height.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 31, 2019, 08:09:11 PM
top of my wardrobe had figures and statues of my fav comic book and movie characters, I have like 7 wolverine ones, 3 of beast from x-men, a captain america one, one of marvels hercules, a kimhari statue from ffx, and a large Aragorn statue when lord of the rings movies were at their height.

What, no Jar Jar Binks in-action figurine? ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Plu on January 31, 2019, 05:42:01 PM
The Hammerhead is a model from the Star Wars: Armada tabletop wargame. You can buy them from Fantasy Flight if you really want one, but they're quite small and they're mounted on a special gaming-stand, so they're not ideal if you just want something pretty to look at.

I’m thinking of buying some model ships and getting a glass case to house them in, but the models i want are either not available or expensive
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

I put together/paint/play warhammer 40k lol

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 31, 2019, 09:55:37 PM
Whoa lookit Mr. 70% marginal tax rate over here!  :P

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Plu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 31, 2019, 09:55:37 PM

Cool! I never had the patience to get into that. My wife does enjoy painting miniatures that we use for Dungeons & Dragons games. And some or our prettier board-game pieces as well. I just get frustrated when I try stuff like that.

I am not sure what counts. I have a Socrates and an Athena of Pireus bust (just the head, it's actually a full figure sculpture. From Athens), an epic Legolas figure (it was a gift), an amonite, a trilobite fossil (these two even have names) a 3 fish cluster fossil, a plastic witch head, a plastic pteronodon, a pumpkin (constant halloween) and a small model hand on my desk. Stones, sea shells...etc. Sand from Pacific Ocean. I lost a piece of Etna Mountain. Frozen lava. (Also a piece of Keops Pyramid after getting mad to the idiot who actually took it and brought to me 'But oh you love it' 25 years ago, because of what she did. Cleaning lady threw it away.)

A Leonardo ornitophter which I haven't assembled yet. Anolog astronomy charts which was done for students in the dept of the univ 20 years ago. A 1000 puzzle of Verenose's, The Wedding at Kana. (I was never able to finish it, mom did it twice.) Mostly books on history of art, anthropology, philosophy...some books about paleontology, entomology, rocks, fossils... Periodicals. Folders of weird articles on specific insanities of old academics printed out from databases. Comic books. Vertigo and Calvin and Hobbes. Old Mad books (Dave Berg, Don Martin) and Charlie Browns printed in 60s. A little notebook collection which I also use. Simple stuff. From Moleskine to very old ones which are not sold any more. I have a soft spot for notebooks and stationary. Esp. pencils. A lot of useless junk from museums I have been to. And Norman the Skeptic. He fell and broke a part of his head, but still kicking. He is a smaller human skull replica, I befriended in 2013. He is from Portland. Some drawing books and drawing stuff. Pencils, crayons. An easel, it's actually mom's.     

That's quite a collection you got there!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2019, 10:40:02 PM
Whoa lookit Mr. 70% marginal tax rate over here!  [emoji14]
Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk