News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Barney&Frank Comic Strip

Started by Cavebear, January 30, 2019, 12:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

But, you can't use that definition, but I can ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2019, 02:42:43 AM
Your self worship is practically Abrahamic.

But is it not somewhat justified?  Have YOU ever led a team that crawled around in the Oval Office putting stickers on furniture, almost crashed the 'Washington Crossing The Delaware' painting, started a major religious movement, or counted the K Rations in the White House Bomb Shelter?

I bet not!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 22, 2019, 04:35:25 PM
But is it not somewhat justified?  Have YOU ever led a team that crawled around in the Oval Office putting stickers on furniture, almost crashed the 'Washington Crossing The Delaware' painting, started a major religious movement, or counted the K Rations in the White House Bomb Shelter?

I bet not!

Bet you didn't try eating those bomb shelter rations ... must have been pretty stale since 1962.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 22, 2019, 06:40:51 PM
Bet you didn't try eating those bomb shelter rations ... must have been pretty stale since 1962.

Congrats on missing the point for the  29,444th time...

Unbeliever

I think he's developed a habit of that...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 26, 2019, 01:44:36 PM

Liberals .. random noise coming from them, no intelligent life detected ... beep.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 26, 2019, 01:44:36 PM

That doesn't mean it can't be pointed out occasionally...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 09:20:43 AM
That doesn't mean it can't be pointed out occasionally...

The point ... Kruschev says ... "We will bury you!".  Well not that decade not this decade either.  Go back to your Komsomol youth camps.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 01, 2019, 01:05:24 PM
The point ... Kruschev says ... "We will bury you!".  Well not that decade not this decade either.  Go back to your Komsomol youth camps.

Your attempted insult of my being a member of some Komsomol youth camp (whatever that is and I won't even bother to look it up) is entirely errorful but typical.

He was actually "НикиÑ,а Сергеевич Хрущев" as far as I can tell.  Not that it matters much.  I can slightly make out how we pronounced his last name.  To me, it would have been a sibilant squish through the teeth at the start, and a "chebv" at the end.

Baruch

Keep putting all your retirement investment into LBJ Great Society bonds.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 21, 2019, 12:59:51 PM
Keep putting all your retirement investment into LBJ Great Society bonds.

LOL!

First, I get a monthly retirement annuity indexed for inflation.  I made sure of that when I started my career job.  It was planned.

Second, everytime I got a raise in pay, half of it went into savings.  And when I had enough, I put it all into Vanguard Index funds.  When the stocks collapsed in 2008, I stayed in (I didn't see that coming, but only fools sell low) and when it started to improve, I put all my savings into it.  I came out tripled at least.

Since you were being sarcastic, I'll ask how your finances are going? 

Baruch

I also use Vanguard, because one of my employers put their pension that way.  Another pension, as recommended by a former employer, was taken out of their internal system (many large employers have been doing this for years, they don't want the long term liability) and put into Raymond James.  Not that you can make much compounding since 2008 (thanks Ben Bernanke!).

Sometimes government employees, including military, get good financial advice at a young age (it matters how long you stick to it).  But not all pay attention.  It seems to me, the biggest impacts are ... did you get married? ... did you get married more than once? ... did you have children? ... is your lifestyle financially conservative? ... did you have a major medical event not fully covered?

Beyond pension funds in various "indexed" forms (less speculative that way), I have avoided real estate for 30 years now, and own no businesses.  But I do have various kinds of insurance, including against major financial collapse.  With major financial collapse, the paper assets won't be worth Confederate money.  Entropy is a major problem for finance in general.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

As a Christian, I believed in predestination, as that is the position the Bible actually takes. The Bible contradicts itself in many ways, but I've yet to see one verse that says or even implies that humans have free will. Romans 9 even contains a response to the most common objection to predestination: "How can God judge us, then?" The author's response is a copout, but it does make it pretty clear that he didn't believe in free will.

Now that I'm an atheist, I still don't believe in free will. It's a nonsense term that implies some sort of magical agency that governs and overrides the physical brain. I think that free will is only an illusion, and that our decisions are determined by unconscious processes before we even are aware of what decision we're going to make. Free will is an idea that makes us feel better, because we like to feel like we are in control, and the concept promises that we have control over ourselves. All you have to do is look to a drug addict to see that we do not have control over our own minds.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 02, 2019, 02:29:13 AM
As a Christian, I believed in predestination, as that is the position the Bible actually takes. The Bible contradicts itself in many ways, but I've yet to see one verse that says or even implies that humans have free will. Romans 9 even contains a response to the most common objection to predestination: "How can God judge us, then?" The author's response is a copout, but it does make it pretty clear that he didn't believe in free will.

Now that I'm an atheist, I still don't believe in free will. It's a nonsense term that implies some sort of magical agency that governs and overrides the physical brain. I think that free will is only an illusion, and that our decisions are determined by unconscious processes before we even are aware of what decision we're going to make. Free will is an idea that makes us feel better, because we like to feel like we are in control, and the concept promises that we have control over ourselves. All you have to do is look to a drug addict to see that we do not have control over our own minds.

Free Will is deciding what to have for meals.

Free Will is deciding whether to go grocery shopping today because you are out of lettuce and you may or may not want a salad with dinner.

Free Will is deciding whether to shovel the snow off the driveway or wait for it to melt.

Free Will is deciding how to react to a computer game move before you see it.

Free Will is a random choice if you want it to be or not if you don't want it to be. 

Free Will is making a choice that is not forced on you.

Baruch

I don't have control over my biochemistry?  So I must be a puppet then.  I guess only G-d has free will.  But the medieval theologians would have argued that G-d has no free will, because G-d can do no wrong.  So I guess they anticipated Newtonian mechanics then.  But we now know that most of physics is chaos, turbulence.  That is much better theology.  Maybe the next word I type can be predicted, but nobody (except G-d) is clever enough to do the math.  It is a power without practical significance, like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

What I see of reality, human or otherwise, is chaos, not cosmos.  At least in our ordinary circumstance.  We are swimmers caught in a torrent, heading for a waterfall of oblivion (or not).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.