News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Server!

Started by Halkenburg, January 28, 2019, 03:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halkenburg

I mentioned in another thread that I have my own enterprise server hosted in a local data center. Right now, the server has 128GB of DDR3 ECC RAM, 2x Intel Xeon E5-2640 CPUs, 2x 10TB HGST drives, 2x 8TB HGST drives and one 700W power supply. The total cost of this hardware was around 1300â,¬ when I initially bought the used, decommissioned parts on Ebay. Today I decided to make a beefy upgrade to my server for another 1200â,¬ or so. I will be replacing the CPUs with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2697v2 CPUs, add 8 more drive slots for a total maximum storage capacity of 120TB, a RAID card for ease of drive management and two redundant 700W power supplies for high availability.

You can see on the sites below that the CPU upgrade will drastically improve the performance of the server. It will go from having two 6 core/12 thread CPUs to having two 12 core/24 thread CPUs for a total of 48 threads. That's some insane parallel processing power right there. At some point, I also want to upgrade the RAM from 128GB to 512GB of DDR3 ECC RAM just for the fun of it.

Sorry if I'm boring you guys with the technical details, but I just had to share my excitement with somebody. :D

Intel Xeon E5-2640: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2640+%40+2.50GHz&id=1216&cpuCount=2
Intel Xeon E5-2697v2: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2697+v2+%40+2.70GHz&id=2009&cpuCount=2

pr126

Well done. Decent gear there.

What about backup facilities?
I have a Synology raid, plus local off site backup hdd, plus Google drive upload for my backup.
Weekly backup automated.

I think the most important part of computing is backing up the data.

Baruch

Nowadays, CPU is over-rated, unless you are rendering graphics/video.  Thru-put (to the outside world) and fast bulk memory (RAID speed) are more important.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Halkenburg

Quote from: pr126 on January 28, 2019, 06:04:40 AM
Well done. Decent gear there.

What about backup facilities?
I have a Synology raid, plus local off site backup hdd, plus Google drive upload for my backup.
Weekly backup automated.

I think the most important part of computing is backing up the data.

I completely agree on the importance of backups. I've lost count of the number of times that backups have saved my ass in the past year. I don't do local backups, only cloud backups to Google Drive. I pay 8â,¬ a month for unlimited storage with G Suite. I use Macrium Reflect to do encrypted system-level backups of my Windows 10 PC, Veeam Backup & Restore to create encrypted backups of all the virtual machines on my ESXi host and lastly Duplicati to create encrypted file-level backups of the config files on my Linux and FreeBSD VMs.

Halkenburg

Quote from: Baruch on January 28, 2019, 06:58:59 AM
Nowadays, CPU is over-rated, unless you are rendering graphics/video.  Thru-put (to the outside world) and fast bulk memory (RAID speed) are more important.

Luckily I have lots of both. I can have up to four symmetrical Gigabit uplinks on my server, currently paying for two.

drunkenshoe

We lost half of the forum 2 times, lol. I don't know anything about te, glad to hear you got what you want.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp