News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Grüß Gott!

Started by Halkenburg, January 25, 2019, 02:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 01:38:52 AM
I buy Twisted Zin in 1.5L bottles by the case @ $10 per bottle.  I drink 2 glasses of it with dinner no matter what I cook.  It goes with everything.  I've tried more expensive stuff and don't like it as much.
We buy 7 Deadly Zins at our Costco--it does go with everything.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 03, 2019, 09:43:47 AM
Ever watch "Sanford and Son" (1970s)?  Redd Foxx often spoke of "Ripple" as a preferred brand.
Ripple memories--oh, yeah.  Also Brown Derby and Thunderbird we cheap cheap drunks.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 01:38:52 AM
I buy Twisted Zin in 1.5L bottles by the case @ $10 per bottle.  I drink 2 glasses of it with dinner no matter what I cook.  It goes with everything.  I've tried more expensive stuff and don't like it as much.
I bought a bottle of proper French champagne for our new years celebration a couple years ago... and it was just awful.  Too dry to have a flavor.  It was like drinking stale air.  Back to the cheap but tasty moscato ever since.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Blush new sparkling wine from Bologna ... best wine ever.  That one bottle, 28 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 03, 2019, 09:47:38 AM
We buy 7 Deadly Zins at our Costco--it does go with everything.

I'll have to look into that!  But what is the cost per 1.75L?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 03, 2019, 12:00:44 PM
I bought a bottle of proper French champagne for our new years celebration a couple years ago... and it was just awful.  Too dry to have a flavor.  It was like drinking stale air.  Back to the cheap but tasty moscato ever since.

When I was in my 20s, champagne seemed exciting.  But as you pointed out, its all marketing and bubbles.  I would rather drink Andre's Cold Duck.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 22, 2019, 12:16:04 PM
I'll have to look into that!  But what is the cost per 1.75L?
You are asking an old guy to remember--around 12.50 I think.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 22, 2019, 12:34:39 PM
You are asking an old guy to remember--around 12.50 I think.

Well, I get Twisted Zin for $9.99 per 1.75L bottle.  So I think I get 12.50/9.99 more drinking please per dollar.  ;)

Besides, it wins awards.  The case it comes in says so, LOL!  They wouldn't lie, would they?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 22, 2019, 12:55:21 PM
Well, I get Twisted Zin for $9.99 per 1.75L bottle.  So I think I get 12.50/9.99 more drinking please per dollar.  ;)

Besides, it wins awards.  The case it comes in says so, LOL!  They wouldn't lie, would they?
Seven Deadly Zins comes from Ca--so, it is superior!  (Napa Valley, I think).  And every time I drink it, it wins another award!

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 22, 2019, 07:32:10 PM
Seven Deadly Zins comes from Ca--so, it is superior!  (Napa Valley, I think).  And every time I drink it, it wins another award!

We are both drinking branded wine from old zin grapevines.  I bet they come from the same vats.  I saw them once BTW...  Huge things in rows.  The vinemaster told us they bottled a dozen brands and that was what he drank routinely.  And he said to pay no attention to vine costs until you get over $50/bottle because "there is a difference at the top end"

Now, that WAS 20 years ago.  Artisanal wines are better at a lower cost.  And Argentian abd Spanish wines deserve attention at the lower costs (climate change)".  But I'n sticking to $10 a bottle for dinner reds.

trdsf

I always did like a nice white zinf.  Forms the basis of my citrus salad recipe, and a slug of it in my pizza sauce doesn't go amiss.

I also like the Ohio catawbas, which puts me in a serious minority among oenophiles -- not that I count myself as a wine lover in the first place.  I like it, but I couldn't tell you a cabernet sauvignon from a pinot noir from a liebfraumilch on a bet, and the wines that I do like have all the subtlety of a cinder block: white zinfandel, pink or white catawba, moscato, tawny port, icewine.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Plenty of Dionysius worshippers come out of the symposium here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 22, 2019, 07:57:33 PM
We are both drinking branded wine from old zin grapevines.  I bet they come from the same vats.  I saw them once BTW...  Huge things in rows.  The vinemaster told us they bottled a dozen brands and that was what he drank routinely.  And he said to pay no attention to vine costs until you get over $50/bottle because "there is a difference at the top end"

Now, that WAS 20 years ago.  Artisanal wines are better at a lower cost.  And Argentian abd Spanish wines deserve attention at the lower costs (climate change)".  But I'n sticking to $10 a bottle for dinner reds.
You know much more about this than I.  I one test I always use.  Open bottle, drink.  If I like it, then I drink the rest.  That's the only test I use.  Two Buck Chuck works for me. :))  Usually. 

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 23, 2019, 12:24:17 AM
I always did like a nice white zinf.  Forms the basis of my citrus salad recipe, and a slug of it in my pizza sauce doesn't go amiss.

I also like the Ohio catawbas, which puts me in a serious minority among oenophiles -- not that I count myself as a wine lover in the first place.  I like it, but I couldn't tell you a cabernet sauvignon from a pinot noir from a liebfraumilch on a bet, and the wines that I do like have all the subtlety of a cinder block: white zinfandel, pink or white catawba, moscato, tawny port, icewine.

Most wine experts can't either.  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

That's one reason I drink what I like.