Americans happier in states that spend more on public goods

Started by Hydra009, January 07, 2019, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

(author's note: I narrowly resisted the urge to make a snarky title for this)

QuoteAmericans are happier in states where governments spend more on public goods, among them libraries, parks, highways, natural resources and police protection, a Baylor University study has found

QuotePublic goods spending makes communities "more livable, with more amenities," Flavin said. "If roads are completed and kept up, so that people aren't stuck in traffic, they have more time to do things they enjoy doing. Large parks are social spaces -- and one clear finding of happiness studies is that people who are more socially connected tend to be happier."

Another benefit of spending money on public goods is that such amenities generally boost home values -- and "while higher property taxes generally accompany higher home values, it seems that the good outweighs the unfortunate part about having to pay higher taxes," Flavin said.
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-01/bu-aah010219.php

Americans like living in communities with libraries and well-kept roads and are actually okay with paying slightly more in taxes to pay for it.  Who knew?!

Baruch

The most functional state in the US in North Dakota (see 2008 crisis).  They do have public services there (such as postal banks).  They do it right, the other 49 do it wrong (especially California).  Washington DC can't do anything right, ever.  It can only do things wrong.  I would be pleased with a dictatorship run from North Dakota.  They have a capital named for this guy .. Otto Von Bismarck.

Poll, every American is given a free debit card with $1 million on it, tax free.  Would Americans be happier?  Why is that a fucking criteria anyway?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

LoriPinkAngel

As for me and my part of the world, I certainly would like it if the roads were better kept.  I enjoy our library.  We have some decent parks.  There are some historic National Parks nearby.  We definitely could use a stronger police presence as there is a high crime rate and a lot of "hoods" with low property values.

If I had a tax free $1 million dollar debit card I would be able to become more secure but not necessarily more happy.  I think the outcome of such a thing would differ from person to person.  Some would waste it frivolously, some would squirrel it away and many stages in between.  I think one's happiness depends more on their personality than how much money they have.

Baruch

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on January 07, 2019, 09:01:16 PM
As for me and my part of the world, I certainly would like it if the roads were better kept.  I enjoy our library.  We have some decent parks.  There are some historic National Parks nearby.  We definitely could use a stronger police presence as there is a high crime rate and a lot of "hoods" with low property values.

If I had a tax free $1 million dollar debit card I would be able to become more secure but not necessarily more happy.  I think the outcome of such a thing would differ from person to person.  Some would waste it frivolously, some would squirrel it away and many stages in between.  I think one's happiness depends more on their personality than how much money they have.

Most people who win at lotto, destroy their own lives and that of their families.  But people choose self destruction any time it is available.  Particularly if it is pleasant self destruction (alcoholism).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I heard a commentator last night who said that Americans are politically conservative but functionally liberal.  They don't want Govt in their live.  But if their lettuce gets contaminated, they want to know "where the hell was the Govt"?

Ans I'll expand on that. 

When people were polled about "The Affordable Care Act" versus "Obamacare", Republicans liked the former and hated the latter.  They are the same thing.  Even worse, when Republicans were polled about "KentuckyCare" versus Obamacare, they loved the former and hated the latter.  Those were the same thing.

Supporters in Trump's campaign held up signs demanding "Keep the Govt out of my Medicare".  Who did they think was running it?  And Republicans won't criticize those idiots.

Can anyone give me equivalent examples of idiot Democrats doing the same thing?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Maybe you are blind to some kinds of idiocy.  How about two nut-case women in charge of the Finance Committee this Congress?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 02:18:12 AM
Maybe you are blind to some kinds of idiocy.  How about two nut-case women in charge of the Finance Committee this Congress?

You will have to be more specific.  Only one person is in charge of a Committee of Congress and there are 2 parts of Congress. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 03:11:14 AM
You will have to be more specific.  Only one person is in charge of a Committee of Congress and there are 2 parts of Congress.

Remain in hibernation, I can bear-ly hear you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 08:04:37 AM
Remain in hibernation, I can bear-ly hear you.

I'LL SPEAK SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME...  You mentioned "two nut-case women in charge of the Finance Committee this Congress"

Identify them or shut up!

I mean that most politely, of course (in case Munch is reading)...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 09:43:11 AM
I'LL SPEAK SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME...  You mentioned "two nut-case women in charge of the Finance Committee this Congress"

Identify them or shut up!

I mean that most politely, of course (in case Munch is reading)...

i did elsewhere.  I may have exaggerated ... they aren't the committee chairwomen.  But it is a funny choice ...

https://www.senate.gov/general/committee_assignments/assignments.htm

Harris and Cortez ... giggle.  Weimar here we come!  Weeee
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 11:44:18 AM
i did elsewhere.  I may have exaggerated ... they aren't the committee chairwomen.  But it is a funny choice ...

https://www.senate.gov/general/committee_assignments/assignments.htm

Harris and Cortez ... giggle.  Weimar here we come!  Weeee

Thank you.  Not the top of my list either...  I just want someone with more executive experience...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 12:26:49 PM
Thank you.  Not the top of my list either...  I just want someone with more executive experience...

You are a true GS, with sensible experience based views.  Just the kind of people we hope to see at the top of departments.  It is my view, day to day, that pragmatic fire drill needs of a department, iron out any crazy ideological itches.  Congress always has too much time on their hands, and too may lobbyists in their pockets.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 12:29:49 PM
You are a true GS, with sensible experience based views.  Just the kind of people we hope to see at the top of departments.  It is my view, day to day, that pragmatic fire drill needs of a department, iron out any crazy ideological itches.  Congress always has too much time on their hands, and too may lobbyists in their pockets.

Most elected officials try to do "GOOD THINGS" .  Some fail, and they should not be re-elected .

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 12:39:56 PM
Most elected officials try to do "GOOD THINGS" .  Some fail, and they should not be re-elected .

Good = depends in POV.  That is where party and ideology go to die.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.