News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Diversity

Started by Iftikhar, January 19, 2019, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: pr126 on January 22, 2019, 02:23:50 AM
Multiculturalism claims that all cultures "should" be equal and should be respected as such.

Multiculturism supports diversity which can be a negative as well as a plus. The cons are that not all cultures sees the problem in their ways and that causes riffs with another. Culture shock may be a part of it, but its mostly the product of superiority complexes, religious bigots, and nutjobs.

pr126

That is not what I wrote.

This is:
“Multiculturalism claims that all cultures are equal and should be respected as such.”

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 19, 2019, 01:25:47 PM
Why does Iftikhar have only one post, but his post count is 36?
His account was created in 2006, so his other posts were probably made before the forum wipe.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 19, 2019, 08:17:03 PM
That right there is simply a wishful statement (was going to say 'thinking' but this guy is not capable of that).  No need to read any further to know this guy is simply another theist that is full of shit that he thinks does not stink.

Yup.  I tuned out after the first sentence of the OP

Baruch

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on February 14, 2019, 01:58:03 PM
Yup.  I tuned out after the first sentence of the OP

Iftaikhar is a special pleader for social/educational ghettos for Muslims in England.  Because the English are infidels who are a threat to the virginity of the Muslim daughters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote“Multiculturalism claims that all cultures are equal and should be respected as such.”

And that's not what multiculturalism claims, at least not in America nor in academia.

Yes, all cultures are equally valid, but that does not mean that, say, female genital mutilation should be respected in Western society. We have to understand where they are coming from, and that to them it may make sense, but that does not mean that things that fundamentally clash with our ethics should be permissible.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on February 15, 2019, 01:11:15 AM
And that's not what multiculturalism claims, at least not in America nor in academia.

Yes, all cultures are equally valid, but that does not mean that, say, female genital mutilation should be respected in Western society. We have to understand where they are coming from, and that to them it may make sense, but that does not mean that things that fundamentally clash with our ethics should be permissible.
"Who the hell care's what it claims when we can instead be angry about what we insist it claims!211111!!!!"
-the conservative dolts

pr126

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 15, 2019, 01:12:46 AM
"Who the hell care's what it claims when we can instead be angry about what we insist it claims!211111!!!!"
-the conservative dolts

Actually, it is you who is angry by the look of it. So angry, that you need to comment. :-) 

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on February 15, 2019, 01:30:37 AM
Actually, it is you who is angry by the look of it. So angry, that you need to comment. :-)
If it makes you feel better, you can think I'm angry.
I just find it humorous, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pr126

FGM Not only respected but banning FGM is unconstitutional, according to US court.
At least in Michigan.

US law banning female genital mutilation declared unconstitutional

But it is a religious practice, not cultural.

Islamic Law on Female Circumcision

In the case of Islam religion drives culture.

pr126

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 15, 2019, 01:34:57 AM
If it makes you feel better, you can think I'm angry.
I just find it humorous, though.

Whatever. I don't think you are amused.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on February 15, 2019, 01:43:51 AM
Whatever. I don't think you are amused.
If I wasn't amused, I wouldn't be here and I would have banned you by now for trolling.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 15, 2019, 01:42:54 AM
FGM Not only respected but banning FGM is unconstitutional, according to US court.
At least in Michigan.

US law banning female genital mutilation declared unconstitutional

But it is a religious practice, not cultural.

Islamic Law on Female Circumcision

In the case of Islam religion drives culture.

Not true.  It is cultural, both male and female circumcision.  Islam didn't support, as a religion (but they have no Pope) African cultural practices.  In fact, Arabs would naturally feel racially superior to Africans.  Though all Semites, including Arabs, have been doing male circumcision for 4 millennia.

Would a US court, ban as a cultural or religious icon, the Ubangi practice of lip plates?  Probably not.  We have both freedom of religion, and freedom for scarification like tongue studs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

In terms of social approval you are right.  But that doesn't mean it translates to laws banning a cultural practice.  In the case of peyote, a way was found to allow legal drug use by Native Americans.  But it isn't open to non-Native Americans.  Which isn't fair, is it?  But it is pragmatic.

There are a fair number of people who still disapprove of abortion, adultery, gay sex etc ... and we are lucky that doesn't automatically translate into legal sanction, in spite of historic norms.  The ethical sensitivity of SJWs?  The horror!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.