The Important Protest You've Never Heard Of

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 20, 2013, 08:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

The Most Important Protest You've Never Heard Of
Hundreds Arrested Protesting Extremist Takeover of North Carolina
http://thinkprogress.org/progress-repor ... -heard-of/

QuoteSince the election of Republican Governor Pat McCrory in 2012, all bets have been off as Republicans gained control of the entire state government for the first time since Reconstruction. Art Pope himself was put in charge of the state's budget and the legislature has been racing to pass all manner of extreme right-wing legislation.
Now progressives are fighting back with weekly "Moral Monday" protests against these extreme policies.  More than 480 people have been arrested in the demonstrations, including 84 just yesterday. Many of those arrested have been clergy who have not been previously involved in civil disobedience. Last week, police even arrested a journalist simply trying to cover the protests.

QuoteThe Moral Mondays movement, which is gaining support from five major Christian denominations, was originally spawned as a response to a regressive tax proposal that threatened to cut taxes for North Carolina's wealthiest 5 percent while also raising taxes on the other 95 percent. But as the movement nears its third month, advocates are expanding their criticisms to include a growing list of extreme bills and laws endorsed by the Republican-dominated state leadership. These proposals, many of which have already passed through the state legislature, would:
– Block the expansion of Medicaid in North Carolina
– Institute discriminatory voter ID laws
– Cut preschool for 30,000 children and move $90 million originally slotted for public education to an expanded school voucher program
– Allow for hydraulic fracking in the state.
– Repeal the Racial Justice Act, a 2009 law that allows death row inmates to appeal their conviction if they prove that racial bias played a role in their sentence.
In addition, many of the advocates are expressing concern about proposed budget cuts to state unemployment benefits, which would deprive 70,000 North Carolinians of much-needed assistance if the law is allowed to take effect on June 30th. Over time, the U.S. Department of Labor estimates that if the government benefits are allowed to expire, as many as 170,000 people in North Carolina could lose extended federal benefits.

This is the first I'm hearing about any of this.

QuoteBOTTOM LINE: North Carolina shows just what the extreme right will do when they get control of all of the levers of power and isn't pretty. Women, children, workers, voters, and even clean air and water are falling prey to this vicious assault, but progressive are fighting backing and standing up for an economy that works for everyone, not just multi-millionaires and their billionaire friends.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Smartmarzipan

From a local protester:

QuoteI was at the protest this week.
Even more sinister is something not getting much traction even in local newspapers. Namely, they're firing all the members of the Environmental Management Commission, including eliminating 6 of 19 seats reserved for a public health expert, a member experienced in fish and wildlife conservation, a member experienced in air pollution issues and three members interested in water and air pollution control. This is the group responsible for enforcing and adapting the environmental rules of the state. Seven new members (presumably all Republican) will be appointed by McCrory, and six by the legislature (hard to imagine they won't also be Republican). Sitting members have been appointed at various points over the past 40 years, and the new members would likely be ideologically aligned with the new legislature. In a similar move, they proposed a bill that eliminated the state geologist's seat on the Utilities and Mining Commission (i.e. the board that regulates fracking). That is, they didn't think it important to include someone who studies rocks on a commission that regulates the high-pressure injection of chemical soups into rocks. After considerable backlash, the seat was restored.
Another bill funnels $90 million of taxpayer money into a voucher system for low-to-middle income families. Each could receive a $4,200 check to pay tuition fees for a private or religious school, essentially dumping public school money into the pockets of for-profit school-businesses. I have family members who are teachers whose schools cannot afford paper, and so they have to print tests with their own money and tell students to print assignments at home.
Hundreds, if not thousands, of Tea Party reps are watching this scene unfold in real time, because they're likely getting a detailed look at how much of this pseudo-libertarian agenda they can actually get away with. I might add that these protest have been largely disregarded by the Governor and Legislature, but it's increasing public awareness, and when 2014 rolls around they'll be dealing with galvanized opposition.

Farroc

Holy shit. That's terrible. How could something like this even happen?
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Smartmarzipan

Media blackouts and buying power with wealth. :/

Farroc

I wonder how a liberal only state would be doing in the same situation. :) (Not that I would condone such a thing, it'd be just as bad as this.)
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Smartmarzipan

Holy balls! If you're a college kid in NC and register to vote at your dorm address, your parents lose you as a dependent.

Senate bill seeks to curb college vote
http://www.wral.com/senate-bill-seeks-t ... /12298695/

QuoteA bill filed in the state Senate Tuesday would carry a tax penalty for parents whose children register to vote at their college address.

Senate Bill 667, known as "Equalize Voter Rights," would remove the tax exemption for dependents who register to vote at any address other than their parents' home.

"If the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for state income tax purposes," the bill says.

The measure would affect only state income tax, so it wouldn't have much effect on out-of-state students. But it could effectively cut student voting in counties like Watauga and Orange, where college voters have been a key part of the Democratic Party's dominance.

The bill would also require voters to have their vehicles registered at the same address as their voter registration. That also could cut down on college student registration, since many students maintain their vehicle registration in their home counties.

And they are apparently introducing Voter ID laws which are said to impact college voters, as well, which are largely Democratic voters...geez.

Solitary

Also see what's happening here in Arizona. This is a lot more serious than I thought, and is not just a conspiracy theory. http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2013-06- ... dium=email

Welcome to Big Brother!  :evil:  We are doomed, and look who's behind it---big money, corporate America, and the Republican Representatives in Congress. I really never thought this would happen in America after Bush and his cronies left office; but as I thought then we have a fascist oligarchy and not a government of the people, by the people, and for the people; and it makes no difference who you vote for.  :Hangman:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

This is happening in the USA?  You guys are in worse trouble than I thought.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Aroura33

Thisis alarmig, but sadly, not surprising. Repubs cannot get everything they want from a fed level, they will do it state by state.

Our country is in very real danger, and most of us are blind to it.

What will the US be like in 50 years, anyone care to hazard a guess?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Hydra009

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"This is the first I'm hearing about any of this.
Me too.   :-|

*glances at local newspaper*
"Safety officials warn against drunk driving."  Oooh, sports.  And editorials.  Silly Obama, you can't suicide bomb the US Constitution.  Aww, a doggie!

Wait...what were we talking about?   :-?

Jason78

Quote from: "Aroura33"What will the US be like in 50 years, anyone care to hazard a guess?

Well, with the way the top 1% are hoarding money, power, and resources it looks like you're on your way back to slavery.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

Lets just hope they stop at their own border and don't drag the rest of the world down along with them :/

AllPurposeAtheist

Project a bit into the 'what if' realm and imagine a John McCain or Mitt Romney administration. The NSA would be spying based on 'moral' grounds which could cover boundless excuses for arrest..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

I think someone should straight up send that to CNN - or Some sort of National News reporting system.  That's horrible.  And I find it odd that it's being kept so so very quiet.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

You're right Smartizie, I didn't know about this, and I don't live that far away.  However, I'm not surprised.  The country IS drifting to the right and the right appeals to a lot of single issues, so when people vote Republican because they want tighter controls on morality, they also get a snoot full of dirty air to breath, fracking contaminated water to drink, and a transfer of wealth to the upper class.  But people accept it because "God will take care of them."  

The wealthy really don't care if gays get equal rights.  That doesn't affect their wealth, which is why gay rights will eventually become a reality.  Nor are the wealthy and powerful concerned about family values or most of the issues Republicans glorify.  Follow the money, even in North Carolina, and mostly it results in an upward transfer of wealth.  Even on the liberal side, where Democratic politicians talk about equality, clean air, sustainable economies and bla bla, the game is orchestrated to transfer wealth upwards.  While the Democrats give a more humanitarian speech, most of what eventually gets done, only gets done when it does not affect the upward flow.

Granted, for some people that transfer of wealth is exactly what a few people want first and foremost.  But many voters have had their attention focused on more single issue headlines that are identified by politicians and become the talking points that obscure the real agenda.