News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Leaving The Site in 2020

Started by Naru, January 16, 2019, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halkenburg

Oh, I should mention that, if the site ends up being sold and the forum dissolved, I'd be willing to host a new one using Discourse. Here's a demo of that forum software: https://forum.datahoarder.dev/

aitm

Quote from: Halkenburg on April 22, 2019, 05:38:47 AM
Well, I stepped up and volunteered but apparently I'm not suitable because people "don't know me."

Now yer getting it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Well, I stepped up and volunteered but apparently I'm not suitable because people "don't know me."

Well, I think part of it is the timing. It seemed like you showed up just to offer to take over the admin position, and I don't really see you outside of this thread very often. I personally believe your intentions are to help, but for all we know, you could be a puppet for one of the annoying theists who were banned from here, seizing an opportunity to take control. Ideally, I would rather see someone who's been here longer, someone I know cares about this forum and the people in it, take the reigns.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on April 20, 2019, 01:41:38 PM
Assuming Wolf and Naru are going to give the place back as opposed to selling it then I don't think financing is going to be an issue. There are at least a couple who have volunteered to pony up enough to keep the place running at least on a minimal level. i.e. no expensive hosts.

We just need someone to step up and volunteer to administer the place.

I've administered a few forums in the past, although I used websites which pretty much built them for me. At the very least, I could keep the status quo, if as you say the position doesn't come with a financial burden. Perhaps someone who has been here longer can hold the keys, but take the tech advice of Halkenburg to improve it, basically supervising him and approving/implementing the changes he makes? Would that be possible?
--Fulke Greville--

wolf39us

Quote from: Halkenburg on April 22, 2019, 05:48:28 AM
Oh, I should mention that, if the site ends up being sold and the forum dissolved, I'd be willing to host a new one using Discourse. Here's a demo of that forum software: https://forum.datahoarder.dev/

Any moves (if any) that we make will be strategic and involve people who we know and trust.  I hate to sound rude, but you just aren't one of them.  An arrangement like what Blackleaf said about having another person with the keys MAY be possible at some point.  The person taking over won't necessarily need to have any database / forum management on a technical level experience.  We will need a person who knows how to manage the forum software though.

Additionally, I'm not going anywhere and I can be used as a reserve for assistance, but I'd rather find another full time web guy.

Halkenburg

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 22, 2019, 11:44:16 AM
Well, I think part of it is the timing. It seemed like you showed up just to offer to take over the admin position, and I don't really see you outside of this thread very often. I personally believe your intentions are to help, but for all we know, you could be a puppet for one of the annoying theists who were banned from here, seizing an opportunity to take control. Ideally, I would rather see someone who's been here longer, someone I know cares about this forum and the people in it, take the reigns.

It's not a coincidence, I initially came here because of a thread on http://www.atheistdiscussion.org/forums/ about AtheistForums shutting down.

Halkenburg

Quote from: wolf39us on April 22, 2019, 12:19:06 PM
Any moves (if any) that we make will be strategic and involve people who we know and trust.  I hate to sound rude, but you just aren't one of them.  An arrangement like what Blackleaf said about having another person with the keys MAY be possible at some point.  The person taking over won't necessarily need to have any database / forum management on a technical level experience.  We will need a person who knows how to manage the forum software though.

Additionally, I'm not going anywhere and I can be used as a reserve for assistance, but I'd rather find another full time web guy.

It's your forum, I won't take offense at your decision, whatever it ends up being. Just wanted to offer a helping hand.

Unbeliever

Are there any good free-web-hosting sites out there?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

_Xenu_

I might work as a last ditch thing. I am an IT guy, but no relevant experience running the technical side of a board. I am however, a known entity. Then again, Baruch also has an IT background and recently retired.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Halkenburg on April 20, 2019, 10:51:40 AM
I see your point, but the problem is that no one else has volunteered to take over the management of the site so far. Are you planning to shut down the site rather than hand the reigns to someone you don't know?
Publicly, no one offered. How about you quit while you're only as far behind as you currently are.

Halkenburg

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 22, 2019, 05:09:10 PM
Publicly, no one offered. How about you quit while you're only as far behind as you currently are.

What's with the veiled threat? Is this how you treat people who offer their help without expecting anything in return?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Halkenburg on April 22, 2019, 10:11:10 PM
What's with the veiled threat? Is this how you treat people who offer their help without expecting anything in return?
:)

_Xenu_

I wouldn't take it too personally man. If you were a long time poster with a good reputation you would probably get what you are asking for. The truth is though, there's too many theists who have been banned from here and there's no way to verify you are not one of them under a different IP. It all comes down to trust.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Blackleaf

You've gotta have thick skin in this forum. It gets better once they get to know you, unless it doesn't. lol
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I just like this site.  I'm not an IT type.  But is there anything I can do to help while the future of it gets sorted out?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!