News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Leaving The Site in 2020

Started by Naru, January 16, 2019, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

We've got time to think about it. No need to make a decision right this minute. Let's give this guy a chance (especially since no regulars here seem to be willing or able to take the reigns instead).
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Fidel_Castronaut

Hmm. Got the PM and realised I haven’t been back on a while, then read this.

Would be sad if this place disappeared as I know you’ve put a lot of work into keeping it going following the reggie issues all those years ago.

Sad to say My 2 cents aren’t worth much following my lack of contribution since 2013/14 whilst all you oldies (and newbies...relative to me at least heh) have continued to the grow the site.

I’ll think about what I want to do in the future.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Cavebear

In my 25+ years of discussion board experience (starting with streaming chat), discussion sites managed by computer nerds work efficiently and die fast...  There has to be someone In Charge dedicated to the subject. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Don't know THE first thing about running a forum.
Would volunteer if i did.
I like this place. But how it works? That's like magic to me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 01, 2019, 05:25:19 PM
Don't know THE first thing about running a forum.
Would volunteer if i did.
I like this place. But how it works? That's like magic to me.

The most successful discussion boards I've participated in worked best with a velvet glove on an iron fist, and by allowing a few  (and only a few) pests, if that helps any...

Draconic Aiur

Man I've been forum hopping on Wolf's and Naru's forums since the great atheist forum died 8 or 9 years ago.

Halkenburg

Any update on this? I'm still eager and willing to take care of the sysadmin stuff of this site.

Mr.Obvious

If we need someone and we have no other volunteers, count my vote to automatically go to halkenburg.

Sorry hal, if that doesn't sound  extremely enthusiastic. I think I'd prefer someone who has been around longer. But I doubt someone will volunteer. You are most like to do right by the site though. And even if you aren't. If it dies out we lose it anyway.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 06, 2019, 06:57:33 AM
If we need someone and we have no other volunteers, count my vote to automatically go to halkenburg.

Sorry hal, if that doesn't sound  extremely enthusiastic. I think I'd prefer someone who has been around longer. But I doubt someone will volunteer. You are most like to do right by the site though. And even if you aren't. If it dies out we lose it anyway.

Anyone to keep the site operating. 

Baruch

Article 11 and Article 13 mean we can't be hosted in the EU.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Just out of curiosity, what DOES it take to keep this site going?  I know money, but what else?   I've always wondered.  Is there a basic software program that does it or do you have to write in code yourself?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 09:27:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, what DOES it take to keep this site going?  I know money, but what else?   I've always wondered.  Is there a basic software program that does it or do you have to write in code yourself?

Every full moon, we have to sacrifice a black goat to the devil. A chosen virgin must consume its heart by midnight, followed by a mandatory orgy that must last at least three hours.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 07, 2019, 12:05:23 PM
Every full moon, we have to sacrifice a black goat to the devil. A chosen virgin must consume its heart by midnight, followed by a mandatory orgy that must last at least three hours.

Well, gee, I thought it was COMPLICATED!  What does it require AFTER the orgy?

_Xenu_

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 09:27:18 AM
There's software for all major things you would want to do.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Cavebear

Quote from: _Xenu_ on April 07, 2019, 12:29:31 PM
There's software for all major things you would want to do.

That was remarkably unspecific.  Theoretically, there could be software for almost ANYTHING any one wanted to do.  What I was wondering was
1.  If the problem with keeping the site active was numbers of people, that might have a solution.
2.  If it is funding, there is a solution.
3.  If it is computer programming expertise, there might be talented recruits known to some participants or people willing to learn.
4.  If you are just bored and want to move on, fine.  But allow the site to continue.