New tactical overview of the Eastern Front 1941 + 1942

Started by Baruch, January 15, 2019, 07:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

I remember one on Iwo Jima that was pretty well thought out.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 28, 2019, 09:34:06 PM
Spoiler alert... Stalin's bullet catcher plan beat Hitler's popsicle plan. Better not to be a bullet catcher or popsicle, but -- Stalin and Hitler.

Sometimes more less-trained soldiers beat fewer more-trained soldiers and more weaker tanks beat fewer better tanks.  And sometimes the other way.  But as no armies are ever completely equal, it is going to be one or the other. 

That may seem trite.  But I mention it because it IS going to be one way or the other and you never can tell.

Hitler probably trained better soldiers and built better equipment, but at a cost.  Better trained soldiers require more resources and better equipment is more expensive to build.  But the German-Soviet front was even more complicated.  It wasn't the generals who controlled the war, it was the dictators who imagined themselves to be great generals.  Neither Hitler nor Stalin were great generals.

At the climax, it turned out that Hitler was slightly worse at generalship than Stalin.  It doesn't take much of a difference when you are talking about millions of soldiers and tanks.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

I agree.  None of these people were geniuses, just Wile E Coyote with Panzers and T-32s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on August 30, 2019, 06:02:32 PM
Most soldiers don't know what is going on ten yards away from them.

Losing generals, winning generals colorize too.  And armchair generals are dime a dozen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2019, 10:08:49 AM
I agree.  None of these people were geniuses, just Wile E Coyote with Panzers and T-32s.

Isn't the t-32 a US tank?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 30, 2019, 08:28:20 PM
Two things--the article was in support of a particular game (don't remember which one) and was defending their game theory.  And I read that about 50 yrs. ago........so........who knows what I really read. :)  It was clear to me that with my own training that infantry training was best when it became rote and one did not need to think about it.
Having time to think in combat is a luxury I seldom had.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 11:32:22 AM
Isn't the t-32 a US tank?
The T32 Heavy Tank was a heavy tank project started by the United States Army to create an appropriate successor to the M4A3E2 Sherman "Jumbo". The US Ordnance board managed the production of four prototypes, the main goal being to have the new tank share many common parts with the M26 Pershing. Wikipedia
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2019, 10:09:49 AM
Losing generals, winning generals colorize too.  And armchair generals are dime a dozen.

Winning generals gather no moss.  Losing generals say "no mas". 

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 11:33:41 AM
The T32 Heavy Tank was a heavy tank project started by the United States Army to create an appropriate successor to the M4A3E2 Sherman "Jumbo". The US Ordnance board managed the production of four prototypes, the main goal being to have the new tank share many common parts with the M26 Pershing. Wikipedia

I read that same (very informative) article.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 11:39:12 AM
I read that same (very informative) article.
I digitized the Tank Data Books. Three volumes of material collected at Aberdeen Proving Ground's tank museum. The author personally measured two hundred vehicles.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 12:15:41 PM
I digitized the Tank Data Books. Three volumes of material collected at Aberdeen Proving Ground's tank museum. The author personally measured two hundred vehicles.

LOL!  I lived at APG for 4 years before going off to U of MD.  I saw the tank fields, the airplanes etc.  I hunted deer and fished there.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 01:36:44 PM
LOL!  I lived at APG for 4 years before going off to U of MD.  I saw the tank fields, the airplanes etc.  I hunted deer and fished there.
I spent six months at few miles from there, Naval base near Port Deposit.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
I spent six months at few miles from there, Naval base near Port Deposit.

Bainbridge?  I worked there 2 Summers updating retired officer records for microfisching!  Saw Mickey Mantle's records once.  And played on the base softball team.  Among all those guys, I could only play short field or catcher, but it was great.  I even have a trophy from then:  "Bainbridge 1968 - Intramural Slow Pitch Winner"  We were the Base champs that year.

How do I post a photo here anyway?  I keep forgetting.

The Port Deposit kids were the meanest in the area.  The GIRLS could beat up most of us local boys.  Well, by rumor...

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, Bainbridge. We played in the woods a lot. "Attacked" TMI once.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 31, 2019, 02:22:53 PM
Yeah, Bainbridge. We played in the woods a lot. "Attacked" TMI once.

Found it.  I forgot about Imgur!

Damn, It still didn't work.  I suck at images.

Some help?