New tactical overview of the Eastern Front 1941 + 1942

Started by Baruch, January 15, 2019, 07:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2019, 09:57:04 AM
Depends on how closely you study the material.

There are humanitarian groups in Russia now, going to the battlefields and digging up countless corpses that were never properly recovered.  Dead men do tell tales.  But you aren't one of those corpses, so what story can you tell?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2019, 06:02:30 PM
There are humanitarian groups in Russia now, going to the battlefields and digging up countless corpses that were never properly recovered.  Dead men do tell tales.  But you aren't one of those corpses, so what story can you tell?
Well, I started studying WWII the year Rise and Fall of the Third Reich came out in paperback. I was in the sixth grade then. Been learning everything I can since then. Spent fourteen years at Purdue studying the topic. Got my Master in History based on that work, and would have gotten my Ph.D. if my heart hadn't militated against further study. I'm owner emeritus of Hyperwar. Anything else you need? [Awaiting inane response as per your norm.]
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 29, 2019, 07:12:34 PM
Well, I started studying WWII the year Rise and Fall of the Third Reich came out in paperback. I was in the sixth grade then. Been learning everything I can since then. Spent fourteen years at Purdue studying the topic. Got my Master in History based on that work, and would have gotten my Ph.D. if my heart hadn't militated against further study. I'm owner emeritus of Hyperwar. Anything else you need? [Awaiting inane response as per your norm.]

Yes, I agree that you are a scholar on this.  But I don't think scholarship equals the experience of the soldier in the field.  Scholars write histories, for their masters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 30, 2019, 09:27:30 AM
Yes, I agree that you are a scholar on this.  But I don't think scholarship equals the experience of the soldier in the field.  Scholars write histories, for their masters.
I have three purple hearts.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2019, 12:06:25 PM
I have three purple hearts.

Hitler had an Iron Cross.

And yes, you could write about Vietnam.  You weren't in the Soviet Union 1941-45.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

And the grunt on the ground couldn't write a comprehensive history. So fuck off if you don't have a better job.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2019, 04:21:26 PM
And the grunt on the ground couldn't write a comprehensive history. So fuck off if you don't have a better job.

OK.  I respect you in the morning.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteBut I don't think scholarship equals the experience of the soldier in the field.

Most soldiers don't know what is going on ten yards away from them.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Minimalist on August 30, 2019, 06:02:32 PM
Most soldiers don't know what is going on ten yards away from them.
Very true. And a lot of them like to "colorize" their war stories.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2019, 06:25:57 PM
Very true. And a lot of them like to "colorize" their war stories.
I have not been in combat (and yes, I thank my lucky stars all the time for that) but I could have been.  Served with many who did, tho.  From what I understand from reading my Strategy & Tactics mag (in 70's and 80's came out 6 time yearly and had war games bound into each issue.) which reported on detailed studies of what well trained combat units did in combat.  Apparently, even the best trained squads (10 men) in heavy combat had 4/5 men firing at any one time.  Some reloading, ducking, running for the rear, huddled in fear or other things than firing at the enemy.  And I got the idea from those who served that combat is unlike anything one can encounter in noncombat.  And one's actions can (and usually does) change daily (or even hourly) depending upon a bunch of factors.  Even well trained men can take just so much.  Sama--does that seem accurate or reasonable to you?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Some poorly trained units would have that problem. But I haven't seen anything to support it being a big problem. Green troops are more likely to break and run, of course. That's why you drop in into the line willy nilly.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2019, 07:51:00 PM
Some poorly trained units would have that problem. But I haven't seen anything to support it being a big problem. Green troops are more likely to break and run, of course. That's why you drop in into the line willy nilly.
Two things--the article was in support of a particular game (don't remember which one) and was defending their game theory.  And I read that about 50 yrs. ago........so........who knows what I really read. :)  It was clear to me that with my own training that infantry training was best when it became rote and one did not need to think about it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Minimalist

I remember S&T.  I liked SPI's big games so I never really bothered much with the magazine games but the articles were good.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Mike Cl

Quote from: Minimalist on August 30, 2019, 10:02:08 PM
I remember S&T.  I liked SPI's big games so I never really bothered much with the magazine games but the articles were good.
I liked many of S & T's games--not all.  I was especially fond of Olympic, which was a solo game of the invasion of the Japanese mainland.  Wolfpack was another solo game dealing with the German sub attacks in the Atlantic in WWI.  Many of them I still have, unpunched pieces because I could not find anybody else to play them with.  I also liked SPI and Avalon Hill.