More toxic masculinity condemned by the APA and Gillette razors ...

Started by Baruch, January 15, 2019, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

I guess I'm just kind of slow - I don't get what there is to be upset about.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Triggers, triggers everywhere.  All posters have a pr126 inside themselves.

Just kill the feminist bitches now?  Or go get your castration at the beauty parlor??

See, straight cucks might not even be fit to be like drag queens, let alone the majority gay men who are masculine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

putting it simply, because this is a publicly broadcast advert, its sending a bad message to young and impressionable people.

The term 'toxic masculinity' is a defining term that could have merit, just like how toxic femininity exists. However, you don't see adverts for products calling into the fact that toxic feminism exists, not on mainstream products.

The problem comes from the fact that making a broadcasted statement like this, is sending a message out that masculinity itself is bad, its toxic, its something that needs to be controlled. And sending that out to young and impressionable people can have negative effects on their identity.

We live in a time now where people talk about their identity, be it what their born as, or what they want to be later (I'm opposed to parents forcing children to becomes trans before their even old enough to understand what it actually means, or just forcing it on children period).  And I'm someone who thinks if a person has defined themselves, provided its something healthy and not a determent to themselves or others, I see no problem someone wanting to be anything.

And yet, with adverts like these, its showing the kind of people that commissioned the advert don't care for a fundamental aspect of human culture, masculinity. By zeroing in on it, and claiming being masculine can become inherently toxic, instead of say talking about toxic behavior in every aspect of human life (how toxic behavior/thinking makes any identity into a potential toxic one), it just wanted to claim only men are the toxic ones.

It wasn't just a case of claiming 'toxic masculine behavior exists' which it does of course as said any toxic behavior can effect anyones identity, it was going out of its way to label any kind of masculine behavior bad, even something as simple as children wrestling.

And as the uncle of two nephews, I don't particularly want to see them growing up believing just being a man is bad and they need to change themselves because of what they were born as was wrong, kinda like how religions teach gay kids they were born wrong.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on January 16, 2019, 07:16:15 PM
putting it simply, because this is a publicly broadcast advert, its sending a bad message to young and impressionable people.

The term 'toxic masculinity' is a defining term that could have merit, just like how toxic femininity exists. However, you don't see adverts for products calling into the fact that toxic feminism exists, not on mainstream products.

The problem comes from the fact that making a broadcasted statement like this, is sending a message out that masculinity itself is bad, its toxic, its something that needs to be controlled. And sending that out to young and impressionable people can have negative effects on their identity.

We live in a time now where people talk about their identity, be it what their born as, or what they want to be later (I'm opposed to parents forcing children to becomes trans before their even old enough to understand what it actually means, or just forcing it on children period).  And I'm someone who thinks if a person has defined themselves, provided its something healthy and not a determent to themselves or others, I see no problem someone wanting to be anything.

And yet, with adverts like these, its showing the kind of people that commissioned the advert don't care for a fundamental aspect of human culture, masculinity. By zeroing in on it, and claiming being masculine can become inherently toxic, instead of say talking about toxic behavior in every aspect of human life (how toxic behavior/thinking makes any identity into a potential toxic one), it just wanted to claim only men are the toxic ones.

It wasn't just a case of claiming 'toxic masculine behavior exists' which it does of course as said any toxic behavior can effect anyones identity, it was going out of its way to label any kind of masculine behavior bad, even something as simple as children wrestling.

And as the uncle of two nephews, I don't particularly want to see them growing up believing just being a man is bad and they need to change themselves because of what they were born as was wrong, kinda like how religions teach gay kids they were born wrong.
Goodness.................seems to me you have read a bunch of stuff into that ad that wasn't there.  Bullying is such a huge issue (to me at least) that we need, as a society, tackle it somehow.  Children should learn that being stronger than someone else does not make you right no matter what you do--same for male and female.  Seems to me you are really going over the deep end here.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 16, 2019, 09:54:03 PM
Goodness.................seems to me you have read a bunch of stuff into that ad that wasn't there.  Bullying is such a huge issue (to me at least) that we need, as a society, tackle it somehow.  Children should learn that being stronger than someone else does not make you right no matter what you do--same for male and female.  Seems to me you are really going over the deep end here.

oh yes, apparently its just me 'reading to much into it', its not like there isn't 714k other people who dislike the add for similar reason.

just some comments from the videos comment section.

QuoteI’m 73 yrs old. I have treated my wife and all women with respect. I am now my wife’s caregiver as she has advanced Alzheimer’s. I respect her dignity as we struggle along. I am offended by this ad. And no I’m not a loser because of that as some have suggested.

QuoteThank you for your transparent virtue signaling.
My self, my wife, my 3 sons, 4 daughters, and their significant others will be switching to a different supplier of shaving products. It is a pity that your marketing program of sending young men like my 3 sons a new shaver prior to their 18th birthday/high school graduation, which has been very successful in my household, has come to naught by accusing the average man of Judaeo-Christian heritage (the vast majority of your clients), of treating women (like our sisters and mothers), the way Roman Polanski or Harvey Weinstein treated girls/women. We do not appreciate being included in their company.
By the way  - is this self serving advertisement running in your middle eastern markets like the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? If so, or if not, please have the transparency to answer, and let us know how this ad campaign is received. Kind Regards ...

QuoteMaybe instead of alienating a large portion of potential customers by virtue signaling about politics you should try to sell razors instead.

QuoteToxic masculinity?  43% boys are raised by single women. 78% of teachers are female. So almost half of the boys have 100% female influence at home, and 80% influence at school.  Toxic masculinity is not the problem. Lack of masculinity is."

QuoteThis video portrays all men as aggressive and bad people. It portrays women as they can't talk or do anything. As passive, shy, incapable to make any change in their life, or take a stance by themselves. I must admit that this gave Gillette attention that their marketing department promised, but lets see the sales after this ad.

I'll remember the next time trump says something silly and regard you lot reading to much into it.

pr126

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgo5k1nbj4w

MANsize Kleenex is offensive.
Manchester is now  Peoplechester.

Add your own.

Manatees
Manchuria
Mandibles
Manitoba
Manage
Manfred
Manacles
Mankind (peoplekind)
Manipulation

Munch

Quote from: pr126 on January 17, 2019, 02:40:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgo5k1nbj4w

MANsize Kleenex is offensive.
Manchester is now  Peoplechester.

Add your own.

Manatees
Manchuria
Mandibles
Manitoba
Manage
Manfred
Manacles
Mankind (peoplekind)
Manipulation

Oh oh, don't forget Nelson MANdela

What the guy said at the end does sum it up perfectly though. Gillette are going 'woke' not because they actually really care about anything they claim in the video, but because they see the current social justice climate as a means to make money, so try to appeal to those woke brownie points

Marvel comics tried that on, and their sales tanked as a result in the comics, because they didn't understand just because a company appeals to 'woke' social justice warriors, the ones who bitched and complained about 'toxic male characters' in comics, it didn't mean they would suddenly start buying comics because you had forced minorities in the pages, they simply weren't buying comics, and neither were the fans they alienated.

Same goes for Gillette, the ones they are trying to appeal to here aren't going to start buying razors, and all the company will do is loose money.

pr126

And the recent Doctor Who episodes which have become SJW sermons and they are not doing well at all for the general public.

But ratings may be unimportant when the BBC has a captive viewership. As long as the political message goes across.

N.B  March this year is the last time I pay for the license (turning 75) but I haven't watched the BBC for years.

Baruch

Back to basics.  Could this be ... don't be to masculine (keep facial hair), but buy a razor to shave it off?  That could be positive if prejudiced and self-interest.

Greeks were men and wore beards.  Romans were men and shaved.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 17, 2019, 06:32:51 AM
Back to basics.  Could this be ... don't be to masculine (keep facial hair), but buy a razor to shave it off?  That could be positive if prejudiced and self-interest.

Greeks were men and wore beards.  Romans were men and shaved.

But if only toxic men have beards.. what about all the hippies who grew their beards? They must be toxic then.

GSOgymrat

The marketing team for Gillette knows that many consumers under thirty want brands to be socially conscious so they came up with these series of ads to virtue signal and try to attract young customers. They could have gone after a different demographic, emphasized "Made in America" and featured soldiers telling inspirational testimonials while shaving with their products, but they intentionally targeted the youth market because brand loyalty is real and valuable. Their marketing team also knows that with social media outrage culture even negative publicity can increase sales, particularly when the people being outraged trend older and conservative, making buying Gillette even more appealing to the youth market.

Yes, here I am writing about Gillette, raising their brand awareness because, once again, I've been played. This is one of several reason I'm taking another break from the internet. If I wasn't online I wouldn't know about these commercials (Tivo, Netflix and Amazon Prime don't have ads). If I wasn't online I wouldn't be wasting my time watching Gillette advertisements and thinking about a controversy that I don't even care about. I wouldn't be wasting my time typing this response to anonymous strangers. Online I'm being manipulated by advertising companies, news agencies, apps, political parties, special interest groups and governments while algorithms gather my information to sell me things I don't need. The internet can be a valuable tool, but it is also a huge time suck, distracting and I'm not better informed when it comes to actual useful information because my brain is constantly being flooded with crap like shaving cream companies and "toxic masculinity."

So, I'm signing off the internet for a while. Thanks for reading my rant and I wish everyone here the best

pr126

Munch

I forgot that old spice advert. So they've gone from having a shirtless guy saying 'anything is possible when your man smells like old spice and not a lady' to 'toxic masculinity is everywhere, train your man to be obedient'

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on January 15, 2019, 10:04:45 PM
...fake #metoo movement...

...you never do try on someone elses shoes, do you?

Do you not understand the things you write? Holy shit.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR