News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Orville: More Trek than Trek

Started by Hydra009, January 14, 2019, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I've mentioned this show before, but I'd like to gather my thoughts about it here and make the case that this is the true successor of Roddenberry's vision.

The Orville starts out as a blatant TNG knockoff - aping both the backstory and style of TNG.  There's the United Federation of Planets Union of Planets.  Aliens working alongside humans in multicultural harmony vs hostile, xenophobic aliens.  All of the Orville's technology, from holodecks to shuttlecraft to handheld scanners, is borrowed directly from Trek.  Even their uniforms are blatant TNG knockoffs.

That's bad, right?  It should be.  Yet strangely, it's not.

Star Trek has largely abandoned the TNG aesthetic, favoring darker, more militaristic series.  Trekkies, and TNG fans in particular, have grown increasingly unhappy with this new direction while at the same time feeling increasingly nostalgic about TNG.  The Orville's mimicry rather than inviting disdain, invites nostalgia among Trekkies and this familiarity makes for a smooth transition to this new series.  The Orville's bright, optimistic, and heartfelt look is a rare and welcome sight in a genre dominated by dark and gritty series.

Okay, so it nailed the aesthetics.  What about the characters and the plot?

For the most part, the characters are good, although kinda one-dimensional.  The Captain is bold and principled, although plagued by self-doubt and insecurities.  The Number Two is guarded and wary, but friendly and adaptable.  The helmsman Gordon is a lovable dope - kind of an idiot but a guy you'd like to have a beer with.  Bortus is the straight man (although definitely not straight) but honorable and loving.  Chief of Security Alara is an adorable little badass.  Isaac is the mandatory robot character (who unlike Data, doesn't seek to emulate humanity), matter-of-fact and coldly logical, yet prone to comical miscommunications and faux pas.

The Orville even one-ups TNG in having characters that actually act more like people - they get into arguments and misunderstandings, they prank, lie, get jealous, get lazy, etc - they're not the overly formal automata with sticks up their asses spouting clunky dialogue that TNG is known for.

The plots are all over the place.  Episodes bounce around from journeys of discovery and military conflicts to slice of life and even rom-com episodes.  This diversity is a great strength but can also be a great handicap.  I've found some episodes to be incredibly compelling - mirroring or even surpassing most TNG episodes, yet other episodes are barely worth one viewing.  Hell, I tell new viewers to just skip the first three episodes of the show, they're that lackluster.  This is a series with episodes that range from 4/10 to 10/10.

Also, it's more episodic than serial, so there's not much continuity between episodes, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.  Personally, I would prefer two-parters where a huge crisis really gives the crew a run for their money, the kinds of episodes that really cemented TNG's fame.

Is it funny?

Sometimes.  I wouldn't say it's a laugh-out-loud kind of show, but it has its moments.  If you hate Seth McFarlane's sense of humor as exemplified in Family Guy and American Dad, have no fear.  The Orville is fairly toned-down comedy - mostly witty repartee from the crew, bickering couples, and the occasional leg gag.  You'll know it when you see it.

In fact, the Orville isn't really a comedy series - it's more of a drama with comedy sprinkled throughout.  For people who want a 100% serious show or a 100% comedic show, this can be frustrating.  But I think it achieves a good compromise - appealing to as many people as possible while completely satisfying no one.  People who want action and adventure are only going to get it sometimes, same with the shippers and people who just want a good laugh.  And no matter what you want, everyone gets a nice feels trip from time to time.  That s2e3 episode.  Oof.

All in all, this is a bright and hopeful light in a genre that has becomes overly saturated with gloom and doom.  A humanistic show where people try to become better angels without coming across as preachy or saccharine.

Unbeliever

I've only seen bits and pieces of it so far, but it looks pretty good.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 14, 2019, 04:33:38 PM
I've only seen bits and pieces of it so far, but it looks pretty good.
It is.  Though certain episodes standout as particularly good.  Season 1 got off to a rocky start, but Pria and Krill were especially good!

And that's a shame, because we have yet to get an encore for Krill.  It's like going a full season without the Borg or the Klingons.  Though maybe that's unfair.  In TNG, a villainous race would appear and we wouldn't get a follow-up for a season or longer.  Case in point, the Borg.

I think DS9's near-singular focus on the Dominion may have spoiled me a little bit.  Plus, I'm expecting a show to be serialized that isn't serialized.  That and maybe the Krill's superficial similarity to Stargate Atlantis's Wraith led me to think they'd be in just as many episodes.

aitm

i only watched one episode but that particular one was just too uncomfortable for me to watch to the end......sorry there Orville...no popcorn for you.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on January 17, 2019, 07:47:01 PM
i only watched one episode but that particular one was just too uncomfortable for me to watch to the end......sorry there Orville...no popcorn for you.
Star Trek:  gay characters are too controversial
Star Trek:  Holodeck sex is too icky to even mention
The Orville:  hold my beer!

Hydra009

Season 2 Episode 4 "Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes" review

[spoiler]Finally, another Krill episode!

I love that there's red on red (villain vs villain) combat.  Naturally, you'd expect an omnicidal enemy to have a lot more enemies than just you.  Good to see that on screen.  Trek rarely showed that.  Sure, they'd tell you about it, but you rarely see it on screen.

This one was a lot more of a gut-punch than I was expecting.

And Gordon is a literal space cadet.  Not a great B plot, but not terrible, either.[/spoiler]

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 17, 2019, 09:28:39 PM
Star Trek:  gay characters are too controversial
Star Trek:  Holodeck sex is too icky to even mention
The Orville:  hold my beer!

I am not advocating for any change in the show at all. People can watch what they want. This just isn't a show I find interesting to spend my time on. We all have our own preferences.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

The original premise makes it too silly to watch...  Sorry.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 08:26:46 AM
The original premise makes it too silly to watch...  Sorry.

Warp drive is pretty ... warped ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

your_dude_james

I suspect that filmmakers these days really want a "gritty" tone because of 9/11. I suspect there's some conditioning of the populace here.

Sal1981

The Orville was never marketed as some original futuristic space faring civilization of civilizations as somehow dissimilar of Star Trek. People think of it as the spiritual successor to Star Trek:TNG, with the same slapstick humor added most people have come to expect from Seth MacFarlane. I've enjoyed most episodes so far from The Orville, with its MacFarlane humor spin.

Although some episodes could've been story-written differently, most have been a success, IMO.

Hydra009

The last few episodes have been phenomenal.

There was the mother of all two-parters recently (no spoilers, but let's just say that Best of Both Worlds has officially been topped) as well as a decent episode that I swear is a mashup of a Star Trek Maquis episode and the Babylon 5 episode The Fall of Night.

This comedic show has certainly taken a turn to a far more serious, darker tone.  I doubt that'll please everyone, but I like it.  At the very least, it gives a break from The Love Boat in space and what the Orville crew calls "The Ed Show" (will they or won't they with the captain and his first mate.  Pun very much intended)

Hydra009

The lastest episode was a holodeck episode (with a very special guest), and it's strange but I actually really liked a scifi episode with very minimal scifi.

Also, I'm pleased that The Orville has yet to have a dangerous holodeck episode - you know, the Star Trek episodes where the holodeck is malfunctioning and the safeties are off so if you die in the holodeck, you die for real.

In fact, a holodeck character never physically harms a rea...*nasty look from Isaac* ...flesh-and-blood character.

I'm also pleased that Orville characters argue and make points without it becoming a soliloquy.  Seems more realistic that way.  Most people don't have long speeches prepared for when someone doesn't agree with them.

Hydra009

TNG fans: We hate Wesley
Voyager fans: We hate Neelix
The Orville:

Everyone: Okay, you win.  That guy is a humongous POS.

This is the very first time I've wanted a fictional gay character to get a divorce.  #BortusDeservesBetter

Cavebear

The problem with aliens is that no one ever explains why they have the weird-shaped heads.  All beings look as they do for a reason.  Weird skulls are never explained.

I will award points to the designers of the Ferengi.  They have huge ears and their skill is to hear secrets.  Vulcan and Romulan pointy ears are acceptable being mostly irrelevent.  But why Klingon skulls?

And has it ever been explained about who the original Borg were?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!