News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Islam Enters Congress

Started by pr126, January 12, 2019, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Plu on January 31, 2019, 02:44:15 AM
Non-religious secular the way Sweden has it, will arrive automatically when a country actually progresses. Religion will just sort of disappear when people are actually happy with themselves and their surroundings. It's pointless to try and force people out of religion, but if you just change their surroundings to be better, eventually they will stop needing the crutch.

My metaphysics says ... no.  The progress you see is an illusion of the easily technophilic mind.  You are basically saying, once we reach Enlightenment, we no longer need to eat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Poison Tree on January 31, 2019, 02:47:41 AM
If projections are right by 2040 Islam will be the second largest religion in America with an astonishing (re-reads report) "2.1% of the nation’s total population".

I advise all prophets to sit on their projections, carefully.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Poison Tree on January 31, 2019, 02:47:41 AM
If projections are right by 2040 Islam will be the second largest religion in America with an astonishing (re-reads report) "2.1% of the nation’s total population".

Sometimes I forget just how little representation non-Christian religions have in America. Still, 2.1% seems a little low.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Plu

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2019, 02:52:36 AM
My metaphysics says ... no.  The progress you see is an illusion of the easily technophilic mind.  You are basically saying, once we reach Enlightenment, we no longer need to eat.

That just suggests your metaphysics are wrong; there's a fairly noticeable connection between how much of a shithole a country is and how religious it is, and between how happy a population is and how little religion there is. The only exception I know of seems to be a country that has fabulous wealth, which somehow skews people into being more religious and less happy, while living in a place that isn't necessarily a shithole.

If you're happy and educated, you can fill the needs that religion fills in more productive and healthy ways, without having to feel bad or be controlled by an institution. The needs never go away; you're just protected against the people who would fill them in an evil way.
It's the same reason happy people rarely get addicted to drugs; they still have the needs that drugs fulfill, but they have healthy ways to fill them and so they don't need the drugs.

"Religion" itself isn't the need. Just an ancient institution that fulfills a very basic need amongst people, in a way that's easy to exploit by those in control of the religion.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 31, 2019, 02:57:43 AM
Sometimes I forget just how little representation non-Christian religions have in America. Still, 2.1% seems a little low.

If you define religion as "one true religion" then the total religion in the US is zero.  As a freethinking Jewish person, I can say this and get away with it, bwahaha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Plu on January 31, 2019, 03:01:09 AM
That just suggests your metaphysics are wrong; there's a fairly noticeable connection between how much of a shithole a country is and how religious it is, and between how happy a population is and how little religion there is. The only exception I know of seems to be a country that has fabulous wealth, which somehow skews people into being more religious and less happy, while living in a place that isn't necessarily a shithole.

If you're happy and educated, you can fill the needs that religion fills in more productive and healthy ways, without having to feel bad or be controlled by an institution. The needs never go away; you're just protected against the people who would fill them in an evil way.
It's the same reason happy people rarely get addicted to drugs; they still have the needs that drugs fulfill, but they have healthy ways to fill them and so they don't need the drugs.

"Religion" itself isn't the need. Just an ancient institution that fulfills a very basic need amongst people, in a way that's easy to exploit by those in control of the religion.

If you live in Sweden, and love it there.  Good for you.  Psychology barely makes the cut off point of pragmatism.  Humans have needs ... one of the principles of psychology.  Needs are more or less fulfilled.  When fulfilled, people are happy (optimists) and when not fulfilled they are unhappy (pessimists).  Psychological needs however, compared to physiological ones, are limitless in scope.  We both have the need of some tasty wholesome food.  But I might like being whipped by a dominatrix, but you might prefer to be a furry ;-)

Humans have a built in brain chemical addiction that can be triggered by many molecules, but also stimulated by many thoughts or experiences (seeing a beautiful woman).  The addiction part can work for you or against you.  But it is there to keep you from committing suicide because of the absurd reality of human circumstances.  It isn't that X is bad for you, but that too much or too little is bad for you.  Water for example.

The most happy people, in the last 100 years, were Micronesian islanders who had low expectations from their environment, and happened to live in an environment that could supply that.  It had nothing to do with technology.  It is the West that has that fetish (and our cultural allies, the E Asians).  Having high expectations, or living in an environment that can't meet your expectations (job sent to China), and an increasing population of competitors (men, women, children, foreigners, automation) ... and you have a formula for very unhappy, very destructive people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on January 30, 2019, 12:47:21 PM
better it being one religious group that long ago conformed to state law on being unable to burn or behead people, then another religious group that still hangs and pushes gay people off roofs today.
If only there were some sort of third option...

No choice but to support the Jesus Party because islamist muslims exist, I guess.  That's a compelling argument, right?

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2019, 02:16:58 PM

No choice but to support the Jesus Party because islamist muslims exist, I guess.  That's a compelling argument, right?

what are you suggesting, forced atheism? I'd rather people figure out things in their own time then forcing it on them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on January 31, 2019, 02:33:06 PM
what are you suggesting, forced atheism? I'd rather people figure out things in their own time then forcing it on them.

I'm talking about supporting/voting for candidates who aren't religious cretins.  Obviously.  Is that too out-there to understand?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2019, 03:01:28 PM

I'm talking about supporting/voting for candidates who aren't religious cretins.  Obviously.  Is that too out-there to understand?

I'm sure you didn't mean to vote only for atheist candidates, in which case, good luck finding one. But I personally don't give a fuck what religion someone follows, as long as they keep it to themselves and don't try to push it on others. There are many Christians who believe in a God so radically different from the Biblical versions of God, they're basically one step away from being atheists. Hell, if a Moderate Muslim ran for office as a Democrat, I'd gladly vote for them over a Conservative Christian candidate any day.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2019, 02:16:58 PM

All people who are straight, will blame gays etc ... when the time comes.  Hope you have your clean undies for the cattle car trip.  Don't worry, they will blame Jews also.  The Ds will be there dressed as KGB, the Rs will be there dressed as Gestapo.  Bipartisan politics, finally!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ask the candidate if they are "woke" ... that includes both atheism, gayness, reverse racism ... all the liberal talking points.  Don't you do that already?

If not enough people like you don't run for office, then you have to!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I'm talking about supporting/voting for candidates who aren't religious cretins

good luck with that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 31, 2019, 08:15:20 PM
good luck with that.

Religious cretins, secular cretins, cretins and Cretans everywhere!

Old proverb ... All Cretans are liars, and I am a Cretan.

Why have such high expectations.  Get in a tree, eat your banana and shut up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Wow, two Muslims are in Congress... okay?

This is a nation of immigrants, I don't know why you would find that shocking.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur