News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Islam Enters Congress

Started by pr126, January 12, 2019, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The Israeli-Palestinian issue has no solution.  And a woman congress-critter from Minnesota won't solve it either.  We already had a token (Dem party favorite topic) Muslim ... Rep Keith Ellison, also from Minnesota.  He wasn't too bad, but he wouldn't take Hillary's strap-on so they cast him aside in 2018.  He "got out of Dodge" and got elected State Attorney General for Minnesota.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The US might someday not be majority christian.  Oh the horror.  Oh "the who cares"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 30, 2019, 12:33:14 PM
The US might someday not be majority christian.  Oh the horror.  Oh "the who cares"?

better it being one religious group that long ago conformed to state law on being unable to burn or behead people, then another religious group that still hangs and pushes gay people off roofs today.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

If current patterns continue (and they might not), Islam may grow to become the dominant religion. Conservative Christians should think carefully now about whether or not they really want America to be theocracy. The same laws that favor Christians today could favor Islam down the line. Ultimately, though, I don't think things would change much. If all the Christians in America were magically replaced with Muslim versions of themselves from some alternate dimension, most everything would still be the same. Both Conservative Christians and Muslims are against LGBT rights, both think their religion should be taught in public schools, both want to ban abortion, both reject science that contradicts their religion and accept pseudoscience that sounds good to them. The biggest difference between Christians in America and Muslims in the Middle East is the amount of power they have. We are lucky to live in a (mostly) secular country.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

you still think modern day western conservative Christians are on the same level as Islamic followers?

or do I have to remind you the worst attack on gays in america happened just 2 years ago, by a guy following Islamic beliefs?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 30, 2019, 01:01:07 PM
We are lucky to live in a (mostly) secular country.

If we can keep it...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on January 30, 2019, 01:26:19 PM
you still think modern day western conservative Christians are on the same level as Islamic followers?

or do I have to remind you the worst attack on gays in america happened just 2 years ago, by a guy following Islamic beliefs?

Modern day? No. But Islamic countries are not as developed as Western, Christian-majority countries, are they? Christianity has a very bloody history, even against their own people. Just as different sects of Muslims kill each other today, Catholics and Protestant Christians used to constantly be at each others' throats. But that was before secularization took root and removed power from the church. America was founded on the idea of a country free from the rule of the church. England assassinated its own king, and took power away from the throne. We do not live in Christian countries any more.

But even secularization hasn't completely stopped violence from Christians against people they deem a threat to their religion. Must I remind you that violent crimes against Muslims far outnumber the reverse?
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 30, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
If we can keep it...

Never went to Promise Keepers?  The US has never been secular, outside of Berkeley Ca.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 30, 2019, 01:37:19 PM
Modern day? No. But Islamic countries are not as developed as Western, Christian-majority countries, are they? Christianity has a very bloody history, even against their own people. Just as different sects of Muslims kill each other today, Catholics and Protestant Christians used to constantly be at each others' throats. But that was before secularization took root and removed power from the church. America was founded on the idea of a country free from the rule of the church. England assassinated its own king, and took power away from the throne. We do not live in Christian countries any more.

But even secularization hasn't completely stopped violence from Christians against people they deem a threat to their religion. Must I remind you that violent crimes against Muslims far outnumber the reverse?

Killing?  Mostly Muslim against Muslim ... for various reasons, mostly outside N America.  I don't fear Muslims (since I don't live in Israel or NYC).  I don't fear atheists or gays for obvious reasons.

No, the US was founded on the notion that no State or Washington DC can dictate the one true religion of the country (establishment).  They had that problem in GB ... Catholic in Ireland, Presbyterian in Scotland, Anglican in England.  You are quoting that raping slaver, Thomas Jefferson, in regards to irreligion.  And he was, with his cut up Jefferson Bible.

I await the day, when President AOC is sworn in on the Communist Manifesto however.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on January 30, 2019, 08:07:25 PM
Killing?  Mostly Muslim against Muslim ... for various reasons, mostly outside N America.  I don't fear Muslims (since I don't live in Israel or NYC).  I don't fear atheists or gays for obvious reasons.

No, the US was founded on the notion that no State or Washington DC can dictate the one true religion of the country (establishment).  They had that problem in GB ... Catholic in Ireland, Presbyterian in Scotland, Anglican in England.  You are quoting that raping slaver, Thomas Jefferson, in regards to irreligion.  And he was, with his cut up Jefferson Bible.

I await the day, when President AOC is sworn in on the Communist Manifesto however.

The US is Christian majority, but secular in structure. Secular doesn't mean anti-religion. It means it takes no stand for or against any religion. Separation of church and state is secular government by definition. Christians would love to turn America into a Christian theocracy, but the Founding Fathers did what they could to prevent that from happening.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 31, 2019, 02:12:48 AM
The US is Christian majority, but secular in structure. Secular doesn't mean anti-religion. It means it takes no stand for or against any religion. Separation of church and state is secular government by definition. Christians would love to turn America into a Christian theocracy, but the Founding Fathers did what they could to prevent that from happening.

Almost true.  What you folks want is ... no religion = secular aka Sweden.  Your definition is technically correct, but it isn't what you mean.

And yes, various nut jobs have tried to seize power.  Most notably the Abolitionists and the Temperance Union.  The current SJW movement is a recurrence of this persistent Puritanism.  Maybe secular puritanism, but still shit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Plu

Non-religious secular the way Sweden has it, will arrive automatically when a country actually progresses. Religion will just sort of disappear when people are actually happy with themselves and their surroundings. It's pointless to try and force people out of religion, but if you just change their surroundings to be better, eventually they will stop needing the crutch.

Poison Tree

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 30, 2019, 01:01:07 PM
If current patterns continue (and they might not), Islam may grow to become the dominant religion.
If projections are right by 2040 Islam will be the second largest religion in America with an astonishing (re-reads report) "2.1% of the nation’s total population".
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide