News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by mosstoss, January 10, 2019, 02:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2019, 07:38:31 PM
This is a normal feeling.  Most particularly young people making the hard transition from childhood to adulthood.  Give yourself another 18 years and be patient with yourself.  I am old enough to be your grandfather, and I still don't know my right hand from my left ;-)
But do you know your right hand from your left foot?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Well, I'm not an alcoholic or a drug addict, at least. I'm addicted to youtube.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 11, 2019, 07:50:42 PM
But do you know your right hand from your left foot?

I do, if I need to kick someone in the ass ... their Left Behind of course ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 11, 2019, 07:52:48 PM
Well, I'm not an alcoholic or a drug addict, at least. I'm addicted to youtube.

Yes, the caterpillar of Youtube ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41KMByxE6lo

I am the cheshire cat ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fHre-yRPY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: propali.student on January 11, 2019, 02:03:31 PM
I don't know. I am so confused... I mean, everyone who believe in god has some sort of strength to survive hard times in life while I feel so desperate.
And that strength comes from within themselves; they just ascribe it to whichever god they believe in.

If there were any truth to the notion that inner strength actually comes from an external source, there would be no atheists -- we'd be immediately reduced to uselessness at the first adversity.  Since that obviously doesn't happen, then the strength you refer to comes from within.  Or at the very least doesn't need to be outsourced.

I survived hard times when I was a practicing Roman Catholic, I survived hard times when I was a practicing Neopagan, and have I survived hard times as an atheist.  I find it easier as an atheist, actually -- because now I know I need to take proactive steps to actually deal with things, not clap my hands together and ask an invisible sky daddy (or mommy) to make the problem go away.

And welcome!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: mosstoss on January 11, 2019, 02:40:20 AM
I'm an atheist. However, church-going folks would like to call me a Satanist on account of my views on God (that there is no "He"). I believe in a higher power. I just won't call it God.

Imagine my surprise.  Rolls Eyes...

Yes that's from the start.  But worth noting.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: propali.student on January 11, 2019, 02:03:31 PM
I don't know. I am so confused... I mean, everyone who believe in god has some sort of strength to survive hard times in life while I feel so desperate.

Poslano sa mog PRA-LX1 koristeći Tapatalk

There are no deities of any kind.  Deal with living as a human.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 12:47:38 AM
There are no deities of any kind.  Deal with living as a human.

Which is a demi-god (per Roman politics).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 02:14:30 AM
Which is a demi-god (per Roman politics).

OK, just to be light-hearted (and yes I'm bored)...  I checked my books and couldn't find a Roman or any other demi-god named "Which".  Is it perhaps the origin of "witch" you meant? The OED states that the noun is "apparently" deverbal (derived from wiccian)".  There is also a Proto-Indo European (PIE) *weik- "to separate, to divide". 

drunkenshoe

Hello. You sound more like a deist than an atheist. Anyway, welcome.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 03, 2019, 04:54:23 AM
Hello. You sound like more like a deist than an atheist. Anyway, welcome.

My parents always seemed to be generally deistic.  They seemed to think there was a vague creator but it wasn't involved in human life.  No prayers or miracles or whatnot.  I just took the logic a step further.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 04:33:22 AM
OK, just to be light-hearted (and yes I'm bored)...  I checked my books and couldn't find a Roman or any other demi-god named "Which".  Is it perhaps the origin of "witch" you meant? The OED states that the noun is "apparently" deverbal (derived from wiccian)".  There is also a Proto-Indo European (PIE) *weik- "to separate, to divide".

"which" as in "which desert would you like".  You over analyzed this time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.