Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by mosstoss, January 10, 2019, 02:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: mosstoss on January 11, 2019, 05:25:20 AM
I'd call it nature :)

are you a believer?

Most folks here, don't include any supernatural phenomena as ... nature.  So no ghosts, fate, etc.  They simply see them as frauds and superstition.

Answering for I am a theist, though heretical.  Almost no one else is theistic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: mosstoss on January 11, 2019, 05:25:20 AM
I'd call it nature :)

are you a believer?
I dunno about 'believer'... I accept that physical reality is real, but I don't ascribe it any agency.

And welcome!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on January 11, 2019, 11:39:55 AM
I dunno about 'believer'... I accept that physical reality is real, but I don't ascribe it any agency.

And welcome!

Nature as a whole?  Might not have agency.  Individual beings do have agency.  Hard to square.  But there seems to be less and less agency as you expand the collection to all people collectively.  And even more so if it is "the whole universe".  On the large scale of society, and the even larger scale of the universe, existence seems more and more pointless (without agency) aka no teleology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

That's what Weinberg said - "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

propali.student

Hey everyone!
I am 18 years old and I have struggles with questioms about faith. I can not connect with god. I can not feel that connection which believers can. Anyone else?

Poslano sa mog PRA-LX1 koristeći Tapatalk

Unbeliever

Hi propali.student!

The reason you can't feel any connection with God is that God does not exist. Faith is a cop-out.
God Not Found

propali.student

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 11, 2019, 02:01:03 PM
Hi propali.student!

The reason you can't feel any connection with God is that God does not exist. Faith is a cop-out.
I don't know. I am so confused... I mean, everyone who believe in god has some sort of strength to survive hard times in life while I feel so desperate.

Unbeliever

Well, if you need God for strength to get through life, then that's what you need. Believe all you want, but it's still a false belief.
God Not Found

Blackleaf

Quote from: propali.student on January 11, 2019, 02:03:31 PM
I don't know. I am so confused... I mean, everyone who believe in god has some sort of strength to survive hard times in life while I feel so desperate.

Religion is a crutch. You don't need it. Religion provides community...at the price of conformity. The community is what helps people through hard times, not God. If you go searching for God like I did, you'll turn up empty. Even if that monster of a god existed, what would you want to be friends with him for anyway?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

I mean, everyone who believe in god has some sort of strength to survive hard times in life

I'm not convinced that's true, but even if it were, so do alcoholics and drug addicts, but that doesn't make either practice good.
God Not Found

aitm

Yes god is real and he loves you. For only 1200.00 I can promise you a seat at his left hand when you die. Guaranteed!

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 11, 2019, 01:14:38 PM
That's what Weinberg said - "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless."

Which is why you don't hire a physicist as a philosopher.  Or hire a dentist to be your lawyer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: propali.student on January 11, 2019, 01:35:56 PM
Hey everyone!
I am 18 years old and I have struggles with questioms about faith. I can not connect with god. I can not feel that connection which believers can. Anyone else?

This is a normal feeling.  Most particularly young people making the hard transition from childhood to adulthood.  Give yourself another 18 years and be patient with yourself.  I am old enough to be your grandfather, and I still don't know my right hand from my left ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

If you don't have a theology, try philosophy or psychology as a stop-gap.  IMHO ... everything interesting about people, should be based on psychology anyway.

Yes, life is hard.  It was hard when you came from your mother's womb, and ... it isn't going to get any easier.  You need to develop some callousness.  Don't be the princess who couldn't sleep because of a tiny pea under her mattresses.

The actual strength however, doesn't come from outside, it comes from within.  You are still young and tender.  It takes time to develop some pith.

A group helps, secular or religious, but they can lead you astray.  They are still strength from outside.  BTW - every group demands conformity, including this one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 11, 2019, 05:54:49 PM
I'm not convinced that's true, but even if it were, so do alcoholics and drug addicts, but that doesn't make either practice good.

Ah, so you are a teetotaling saint then?  Are you six degrees of separation from St Joan of Arc after all?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.