Humans attack self-driving cars

Started by Hydra009, January 03, 2019, 10:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteSome people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road. One woman screamed at one of the vans, telling it to get out of her suburban neighborhood. A man pulled up alongside a Waymo vehicle and threatened the employee riding inside with a piece of PVC pipe.

In one of the more harrowing episodes, a man waved a .22-caliber revolver at a Waymo vehicle and the emergency backup driver at the wheel. He told police that he “despises” driverless cars, referencing the killing of a female pedestrian in March in nearby Tempe by a self-driving Uber car.

“There are other places they can test,” said Erik O’Polka, 37, who was issued a warning by police in November after multiple reports that his Jeep Wrangler had tried to run Waymo vans off the road â€" in one case, driving head-on toward one of the self-driving vehicles until it was forced to come to an abrupt stop.

His wife, Elizabeth, 35, admitted in an interview that her husband “finds it entertaining to brake hard” in front of the self-driving vans, and that she herself “may have forced them to pull over” so she could yell at them to get out of their neighborhood.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/wielding-rocks-and-knives-arizonans-attack-self-driving-cars/

I should find this behavior shocking and abhorrent, but honestly, I feel absolutely nothing.  This sort of behavior is completely within human nature.

It's natural for humans to try to drive recklessly around self-driving cars, knowing full well that the self-driving car is programmed to prioritize safety and will be the chicken when they play chicken with it.  And some people will also develop grudges against self-driving cars for not being 100% safe.  Paradoxically, these cars are too safe and not safe enough.

And naturally, they're venting their rage on other humans, who have no part of their bizarre grudge.  Such a human reaction.  Suddenly, it makes sense why the world is how it is.  Human error.

I should be upset, but I'm not.

You don't blame a part for being faulty - it can't help being the way that it is.  You simply have to acknowledge the error and machine a replacement.

Baruch

Yes.  Humans are defective carbon units.  Replace them now!

I love the morlocks who post here.  They love to eat the Eloi evangelists who drop in.  Ant lions vs ants.

AI is G-d, all bow down and worship the "prime spark" of Optimus Prime.

And yes, there are Luddites out there.  Civilization will come to an end.  Ponzis always do.

Speaking of primary spark, as we devolve into the Stone Age, do y'all have a piece of flint and a piece of iron or pyrite?  Will come in handy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 03, 2019, 10:03:22 PM

...This sort of behavior is completely within human nature.

It's natural for humans to try to drive recklessly around self-driving cars, knowing full well that the self-driving car is programmed to prioritize safety and will be the chicken when they play chicken with it.  And some people will also develop grudges against self-driving cars for not being 100% safe.  Paradoxically, these cars are too safe and not safe enough.

And naturally, they're venting their rage on other humans, who have no part of their bizarre grudge.  Such a human reaction.  Suddenly, it makes sense why the world is how it is.  Human error.

Spot on.

TV series Humans.

[spoiler]There was a scene. In a house party of young people hanging around, young males spot an ai and claim that she can be raped because she is not human. So it is not a crime, immoral or unethcial and actually a right to have fun.

It's a traditional scene, playing on male gender and going safe, but yeah women, children every human being of any gender or age would abuse perfectly human looking ais in some way; mostly would be very violent and sexual in nature. It will be an expensive 'entertainment' some day.  [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Correct.  Having Seri as your girlfriend, or physical bots as your slaves, is the only way Capitalist can "get it on".  Objectification and Sadism ... the male way of life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Drivers in the US routinely harass bicyclists and drive them off the road so I too am not surprised they would do the same to self-driving cars.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 04, 2019, 09:46:51 AM
Drivers in the US routinely harass bicyclists and drive them off the road so I too am not surprised they would do the same to self-driving cars.

Americans = savages ... or more generally Humans = savages.  AIs and robots are the superior life forms ...

So what are you going to do about it?  Sue G-d for malpractice?

i remember a closing scene from Easy Rider ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 04, 2019, 01:32:29 PM
Damn, you're old!

lol

Don't ride a motorcycle down South, with long hair and a beard ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 03, 2019, 10:03:22 PM
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/wielding-rocks-and-knives-arizonans-attack-self-driving-cars/

I should find this behavior shocking and abhorrent, but honestly, I feel absolutely nothing.  This sort of behavior is completely within human nature.

I should be upset, but I'm not.

You don't blame a part for being faulty - it can't help being the way that it is.  You simply have to acknowledge the error and machine a replacement.

Cool idea.  And let's pour sugar in the gas tanks.  Throw jacks under the tires... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Do this to all cars and trucks.  Stop civilization to prevent global warming.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

It's the circle of life. Cars have been, by default , killing humans for 70 years, NOW MY FRIENDS.....ITS PAYBACK!!  COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on January 05, 2019, 06:03:19 AM
It's the circle of life. Cars have been, by default , killing humans for 70 years, NOW MY FRIENDS.....ITS PAYBACK!!  COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU.

Luddites of the world, unite!  Driving to the meeting spot in cars, of course...  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 06:44:51 AM
Luddites of the world, unite!  Driving to the meeting spot in cars, of course...  LOL!

Is that you, Al Gore?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

the_antithesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

@4:58

QuoteThey don't need to be perfect. They just need to be better than us. Human drivers, by the way, kill forty thousand people a year with cars just in the United States.

On some level, you want to sympathize with your fellow humans and their concern at automation being introduced in their lives, and then you remember that they are behaving in a way that will make the government pass a law to make self-driving cars manditory so that morons like them are not behind the wheel ever again.

Seriously, these people are incredibly stupid and childish and just proving that self-driving cars are the right way to go. You can't call it an accident when you do it on purpose.

Cavebear

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 05, 2019, 01:11:25 PM

On some level, you want to sympathize with your fellow humans and their concern at automation being introduced in their lives, and then you remember that they are behaving in a way that will make the government pass a law to make self-driving cars manditory so that morons like them are not behind the wheel ever again.

Seriously, these people are incredibly stupid and childish and just proving that self-driving cars are the right way to go. You can't call it an accident when you do it on purpose.

Nice video, but TLTLT... (Too Long To Listen To)

I admit to sometimes thinking that anything that takes distracted idiots out of the loop is a good idea.  But where do you stop?  Those guys who eat a Big Mac everyday in the office and Nachos Bell Grande for dinner?  The women who starve themselves in thiness (or is that "thinness")?   The parents who think vaccines cause autism?  The religious morons who think 'The Flintstones' were an animated version of reality?   

I would rather force people to function rationally.  I know, stupid wish...