Spurning Erdogan’s Vision, Turks Leave in Droves, Draining Money and Talent -NYT

Started by drunkenshoe, January 03, 2019, 03:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 06, 2019, 08:39:59 AM
They say Turkey is a country like heaven if you have money you can enjoy, they say...
I haven't been to a foreign country up till now, but i wish i could go and see not like a tourist but like one who is interested in deepening in and touching to the country's cultural essence...
I am especially interested in English-speaking countries... Because Anglo-American culture attracts me so much with its literary culture and technology...

Not been to England like Drunkenshoe, but London seems for you ;-)

What part of English lit interests you?  Drama, novels, poetry?  Do you know why you are attracted to one particular foreign culture more than others?

in peacetime, when I visited Turkey, it was a place I would like to spend more time in.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2019, 09:18:53 AM
Not been to England like Drunkenshoe, but London seems for you ;-)

What part of English lit interests you?  Drama, novels, poetry?  Do you know why you are attracted to one particular foreign culture more than others?

in peacetime, when I visited Turkey, it was a place I would like to spend more time in.

Thanks to the Ä°nternet, although i am interacting with the people who is from a foreign country, and who have a foreign culture; to really dive into the essence of the culture, i believe that it's important to breath in where the culture is being lived... London would be a right choice like you said...

I don't like fiction... simply because it's fiction...I am on my way to make my English language skills excellent to understand the culture... You know, culture and language is integrated with each other... I can make it better working harder on the language and i have enthusiasm about it. To learn a foreign language is very exciting... It's my hobby to improve.. But i don't know why Anglo-American... It may be partly because the Anglo-American culture is leading the world and partly because i speak English just a lil bit...

But nowadays Turkland is peaceful place... Who knows how it will be in 2019 and 20... Some planners plan what we will see in the near future...

Baruch

So contemporary anthropology then.  A humanist.

Yes, Youtube has wonderful documentaries.  I swoon on new documentaries.

I have studied numerous languages.  English is hard to learn for non-English speakers, but it depends.  You have few declensions, you know what a word is by its location in the sequence.  That is very linear.  In other grammars you have to go forward, backup, got forward again ... non-linear.  Not being dependent on word order this facilitates poetry.  Hence in English poetry, the emphasis is on the vowel at the end of each line ... rhyme, or the consonant at the beginning of each word ... alliteration.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2019, 10:33:02 AM
So contemporary anthropology then.  A humanist.

Yes, Youtube has wonderful documentaries.  I swoon on new documentaries.

I have studied numerous languages.  English is hard to learn for non-English speakers, but it depends.  You have few declensions, you know what a word is by its location in the sequence.  That is very linear.  In other grammars you have to go forward, backup, got forward again ... non-linear.  Not being dependent on word order this facilitates poetry.  Hence in English poetry, the emphasis is on the vowel at the end of each line ... rhyme, or the consonant at the beginning of each word ... alliteration.

In the time we live in, there is no importance of any other language other than English. Almost all the valuable sources to read is being published in English. And often translations into Turkish are very bad. So, to read from the original source written in English acquires more importance...

It's easy to learn English for the speakers of the languages of the same family. For example, the Dutch or the German can learn English more easily because your native languages are close to each other.

We in Turkish can do acrobatics on word sequence.

-''köpek adamı ısırdı'' which means in English:'' The dog bit the man''

All six sentences mean the same:
-köpek adamı ısırdı.
-köpek ısırdı adamı.
-adamı ısırdı köpek.
-adamı köpek ısırdı.
-ısırdı adamı köpek.
-ısırdı köpek adamı.

There is no definite article ''the'' in Turkish. köpek: dog; adam: man; remember ''adam the first man'', the word comes from there.

But you cannot change the word order in English, or the meaning will change...

drunkenshoe

Turkish is an agglutinative language. It's also unisex. There is countless possibilities to express something. From all tenses, possessive suffix to, singular, plural or preposition...anything can be expressed in one word, by adding the required affix. (It's called affix isn't it?) I hope that makes sense, lol.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 07, 2019, 09:25:03 AM
Turkish is an agglutinative language. It's also unisex. There is countless possibilities to express something. From all tenses, possessive suffix to, singular, plural or preposition...anything can be expressed in one word, by adding the required affix. (It's called affix isn't it?) I hope that makes sense, lol.

Interestingly, Sumerian is the same.  Nobody knows where the Sumerians came from, but I am betting Central Asia.  Early Chinese is also ... ambiguous.  That is why classical Chinese poetry is considered, by the Chinese, to be their greatest art form.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 06, 2019, 04:05:31 AM
Americans never killed Indians.  Turks never killed Armenians.  We love to put our heads in the ground like the ostrich.
Ostriches don't do that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Where did I say this didn't kill this, this didn't kill that?

The reason is that USA hasn't recognised an Armenian Genocide, because Jewish Diaspora wouldn't let them, Baruch. You know that very well. They would do anything so another genocide wouldn't get recognised officially. Then after a day Sweden recognised it, the prime minister made a phone call to over here and said that this has no sanction whatever on relations, 'see, it is just politics'. Without Erdogan politics, the country wouldn't even get any of the late recognitions. It's fucking politics, it's fucking business. It's a bargain.

All my life I have heard from Westerners about this and that genocide commited by Ottomans and so on. And when you ask these people about genocides or actrocities commited by their governments, it is always 'ah that's different. ...blah blah bullshit blah blah' From continental Europe to Scandinavia, from Americas to freaking Australia...everywhere. I am sick of it. So when somebody approaches to me with something like that from out of nowhere, without asking my opinion on the subject, my first reflex is to tell him to go fuck himself. That's all.

Westerners can afford to ignore genocides and atrocities, but Easterners should care? Naah, not at all. I could care less.       

By the way, if there has to be a third world war, starting in Europe no less, you know who is gonna get slaughtered this time.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Yes, Jews have superpowers.  Ever since you let the Sephardim infiltrate the Sublime Porte, we worked hard to turn your people into Turkish delight.

No, not claiming anybody needs another Mandela truth commission.  Didn't seem to work with the majority Black tribe in South Africa.

Be prepared to fight, or someone, not necessarily the US, will kill your men, rape your women, and enslave your children.  Tamerlane wasn't a one-off.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

What the Europeans did to the indigenous people of what is now America completely dwarfs what the Germans did to the Jewish people. Estimates are as high as 150 million indigenous people dead from our colonial period.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 08, 2019, 07:11:20 PM
What the Europeans did to the indigenous people of what is now America completely dwarfs what the Germans did to the Jewish people. Estimates are as high as 150 million indigenous people dead from our colonial period.

So, you want to be more eeevilll?  The only good human is a dead one.  As in "Good and dead".  Every human ever born will die.  And I play the world's smallest violin for the funeral dirge.

Astronomy, such a happy subject ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVFut2Giu8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 08, 2019, 07:11:20 PM

yep, america's built on the bones and graves of those people. Said ancesotes of those people still like calling others nazis though so that makes it okay that it happened.

(you understand this is taking the piss without being serious)

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 06, 2019, 02:38:07 AM
It means, I am highly annoyed by your condescending attitude.

My question was legitimate.   If you don't want to answer it, that is up to you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on January 08, 2019, 06:50:51 PM
Yes, Jews have superpowers.

Almost in every conversation, you are eager than anyone to throw the ball around 'oh because this and that politics'. But then I go and point out a simple successful set of politics made by Jews, you get sarcastic which you usually don't even get when thrown at you.