News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

All Hail The Second Amendment

Started by Minimalist, January 03, 2019, 10:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on January 05, 2019, 06:06:31 AM
There is always a YET...for everyone... absolutely everyone.
Is the plural of YET YETI?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2019, 07:33:39 AM
Is the plural of YET YETI?

Latin declension:

Yet
Yetas
Yemat
Yetamus
Yetamis
Yemant

LOL
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

I don't do dead languages, like Latin, or COBOL.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2019, 07:52:37 AM
I don't do dead languages, like Latin, or COBOL.

I found Latin easier to understand than the stream of near gibberish of "conversational Spanish".  At least I learned a lot about English fro my Latin classes (aside from trying to make Hannibal carry his elephants across the Alps). 

And I'll go with Fortran or Basic over Cobol any day (well, "back then" of course).  I mastered each and even helped my classmates in COBOL, but I never liked it.  COBOL is structured, Fortran is logical. 

To this day, I often solve problems using flow charts, and I associate them with Fortran.

Quick story.  In an office completely unrelated to computer programming, the Boss mentioned the Holiday Party the next day would have teens of co-workers attending and to try and think of things that might keep them busy. 

So I wrote a "hangman" game in Fortran in an hour with a 100 word random matrix.  The teens loved it, my Boss was impressed as Hell, and *I* got stuck doing "that new computer management stuff" for the next couple years. 

Gawdzilla Sama

I was Radm. Grace Hopper's driver one day back in 1988. She had helped develop COBOL and she told she was stunned to realize that it would out live her. "Just a program to make do until real programs were ready."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 06:42:58 AM
  That is mostly a fear of people who watch too much Fox News.
my "YET" was the universal "YET" to be applied to any and all occasions dealing with anything in particular. For gun owners always a YET, for cooks always a YET, for motor cycle riders always a YET. To be applied to anyone who steadfastly declares that for the general population if a person follows A,B,C almost always they will always avoid the YET. It is an unsubstantiated claim that inevitably is whacked upside the noggin with a YET.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2019, 09:07:42 AM
I was Radm. Grace Hopper's driver one day back in 1988. She had helped develop COBOL and she told she was stunned to realize that it would out live her. "Just a program to make do until real programs were ready."

An "admirable" person, and how special you got to be near her.  I can understand why you like COBOL.  :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 09:30:44 AM
An "admirable" person, and how special you got to be near her.  I can understand why you like COBOL.  :)
I hate COBOL. It's for computer literates.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2019, 10:03:53 AM
I hate COBOL. It's for computer literates.

O KAY...  Did I mistake you for someone else?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 10:17:39 AM

Lords of Cobol, from Battlestar Galactica ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 10:17:39 AM
If you heard someone say COBOL was a good program, yes.
PZ Myers

Minimalist

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 07:47:15 AM
Latin declension:

Yet
Yetas
Yemat
Yetamus
Yetamis
Yemant

LOL

"If its not done by sunrise I'll cut your balls off."

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Minimalist

Now bowling is dangerous....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/us/california-shooting-torrence.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

QuoteBowling Alley Shooting in California Leaves 3 Dead and 4 Injured

Fear not, the republicunts know what to do.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Unbeliever

No one is safe - ever. If it's not guns it'll be something else, like heart attacks or auto accidents or meteors (or gringos?) falling from the sky. Maybe self-driving cars will decrease the number of auto-related deaths and injuries, but nothing comparable is likely going to be available for guns, since self-shooting guns won't work well. The gun nuts don't like the idea of biometric safeties for guns, either, so that's unlikely to help.

I figure I won't be safe until I'm covered by six feet of dirt.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman