News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Former Presidents

Started by Baruch, December 31, 2018, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on January 13, 2019, 07:50:39 AM
Always glad to provide data.  :)  And Presidential politics was one of my focuses in PoliSci.

The left/right swap pre-dated Nixon; it began under FDR, really.  Isolationism moved the Republican party to the right, and Roosevelt shoved the Democrats to the left as the only workable response to the Great Depression -- certainly Hoover's "let's let the market work things out" wasn't working.  By embracing the Southern Strategy, Nixon completed (rather than initiated) the left/right swap.

History has moved on from 1968.  How do you explain how, in just 3 years, the Dems are now more war-mongering than the Repubs?  Have they switched again?  Will the current Repubs become flower power hippies?  Or maybe a simpler explanation is better ... there is no R-L, just CIA, and total lies all the way down since 1963.  The Repubs and Dems have no values, other than doing what they are told, by the Deep State, to avoid a trip to Dallas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on January 13, 2019, 07:50:39 AM
Always glad to provide data.  :)  And Presidential politics was one of my focuses in PoliSci.

The left/right swap pre-dated Nixon; it began under FDR, really.  Isolationism moved the Republican party to the right, and Roosevelt shoved the Democrats to the left as the only workable response to the Great Depression -- certainly Hoover's "let's let the market work things out" wasn't working.  By embracing the Southern Strategy, Nixon completed (rather than initiated) the left/right swap.

I'm not sure I would go THAT far, though nothing starts from nothing.  But I mean that in FDR's time there were liberal Democrats and liberal Republicans in the North and West and conservative Democrats and conservative Republicans in the South and Central US. 

It was Nixon's "Southern Strategy" (initiated by Goldwater's purge of liberal Republicans in the North of which I was a victim) that truly re-oriented the parties.  All the conservative democratic "Dixiecrats" became Republicans in response to the Civil Rights activism and liberal Republicans (like me) had to turn to the Democratic party.

Today, that change is consolidated.  And the Republicans have become more conservative than their parents ever were.  When I hear the Republicans refer to themselves as "The Party Of Lincoln", I can only cry...  I heard a female Republican crying that "I don't want my grandbabies to be brown" at a Trump rally. 

I know history.  I know that it started in places "we" don't much like.  The Chinese, the Asian Indians, the Uraks (Iraq).  They consider "others" to be barbarians, like the Persians (and they were at first).  And in turn, they considered the Greeks to be barbarians (and they were).  And the Greeks considered the Romans to be barbarians (and they were).  And then the Romans considered the Germanic tribes to be barbarians (and they were at first).  And the Germanic tribes settled and they considered others the same (the Scots and Celtic Irish).

Every established civilization (meaning "not them") thought the world was going to Hell in a handbasket.  But damn if every new group didn't rise up and invent new things.  There will be a time when the US is a backwater because other civs have advanced. 

I don't care about race of ethnicity.  All things change.  I don't care about skin color (all an evolutionary consequence of sunlight exposure).  We humans march on, some being in the trade routes which causes cultural wealth and therefore advancement. 

Someday, we will all be vaguely tan and I don't give a rat's ass about that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

US politics completely changed 3 years ago.  Anything before that, is irrelevant.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 30, 2019, 08:41:22 PM
US politics completely changed 3 years ago.  Anything before that, is irrelevant.

And the world was created 6 years ago.  You know, when *I* say something stupid it keeps me awake all night.  Does being constantly stupid ever bother YOU?  I'm just curious...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 06:22:52 AM
And the world was created 6 years ago.  You know, when *I* say something stupid it keeps me awake all night.  Does being constantly stupid ever bother YOU?  I'm just curious...

My stupid is your genius ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.