News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Former Presidents

Started by Baruch, December 31, 2018, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

QuoteNixon's sins were small compared to the new Watergate election interference run by Obama, Hillary and the Resistance.

Oh this should be highly entertaining.  Which right-wing crackpot are you going to trot out now?
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 07:17:21 PM

Oh this should be highly entertaining.  Which right-wing crackpot are you going to trot out now?

You mechanics love your Obama-tron and Hillary-bot.  D-party never did anything wrong ... cough, cough.

Have you paid attention to the (campaign interference) treason by the Obama admin, the Hillary campaign, and the post election (operations) treason?  This is why .. I don't want to be you, when the folks with torches and pitchforks are roaming about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 07:17:21 PM

You have to understand that Baruch creates his own demons as required and thinks WE are them a lot of the time.  He lives in a world of left-wing conspiracy (and "left-wing" to him seems to be is anything left of Nazis).  And some nazis might be "iffy".

But mostly, he seems to be in the far-right-of-the-Vatican camp.

I used to think he was ordered to be here to annoy us atheists as a Jesuit, but his arguments aren't that good.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 08:21:46 PM
You have to understand that Baruch creates his own demons as required and thinks WE are them a lot of the time.  He lives in a world of left-wing conspiracy (and "left-wing" to him seems to be is anything left of Nazis).  And some nazis might be "iffy".

But mostly, he seems to be in the far-right-of-the-Vatican camp.

I used to think he was ordered to be here to annoy us atheists as a Jesuit, but his arguments aren't that good.

Are you trying to insult my ex?  Who was a Catholic Sister of Charity?

Yes, the whole psycho narrative from July 2016 forward, never happened ... put fingers in ears, say "la, de, da".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
Indeed, Carter has been an exemplary Ex...  But that has nothing to do with his failures as President.  Only a couple of pre Civil War Presidents and Trump will score lower on the ratings...
Now, I think you're selling Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover and Dick Nixon and Dubya short -- they were all pretty awful too, though for entirely different reasons each.

Carter's ranking has more or less stabilized over time as being a below average, but not disastrous president, coming in at 26th out of 43 in the 2017 C-SPAN historians' survey (this survey does not include the current miscreant).  It seems a fair assessment to me, noting both his strengths in pursuit of equal justice and moral authority, and weaknesses in public persuasion and crisis leadership.

Couple interesting take-aways from that list, too.

One: of 14 Democratic presidents on the list, nine are in the top half - 64%.  Of 18 Republicans, six are in the top half -- 33%.  Half of those Republicans come from before the parties switched ends on the political spectrum, and only two of those since the theocratic takeover of the GOP (Reagan at #9 and GHW Bush at #20).  Of the Democrats, six of the nine are since the parties swapped ends, the others being Wilson (#11), Polk (#14) and Jackson (#18).  The three Independents â€" Washington, who eschewed political labels; Tyler, who was expelled from the party by the Whigs; and Andrew Johnson, whose National Union party dissolved out from underneath him â€" are far too mixed a bag to be able to treat together.

Two: the average rating of all Democratic presidents is 18.9; that of all Republicans is 23.1. Only the four Democratic-Republicans (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and JQ Adams) do better (avg. 14.5); only the three Whigs (Taylor, Fillmore, and WH Harrison) do worse (avg. 35.3).

and Three: two, one is the countdown until Baruch goes off on some harebrained nonsense about leftist domination of academics being the only reason that Presidents Clinton and Obama aren't rated dead last in every category.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Academics do what they are told.  The university and the media, are CIA controlled.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteHave you paid attention to the (campaign interference) treason by the Obama admin, the Hillary campaign, and the post election (operations) treason?

No.

And now I will tell you why.

It only exists in the minds of nazi shitheads.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

I think the term "Nazi shitheads" is redundant...

:-)

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

I got it from Eddie Izzard.

QuoteThere we go, Mr. Hitler. There we go... Like a bit of wine? Thank you very much...you Nazi shithead!"

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 07, 2019, 05:01:46 PM
No.

And now I will tell you why.

It only exists in the minds of nazi shitheads.

Says Stalin ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on January 06, 2019, 02:24:05 AM
Now, I think you're selling Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover and Dick Nixon and Dubya short -- they were all pretty awful too, though for entirely different reasons each.

Carter's ranking has more or less stabilized over time as being a below average, but not disastrous president, coming in at 26th out of 43 in the 2017 C-SPAN historians' survey (this survey does not include the current miscreant).  It seems a fair assessment to me, noting both his strengths in pursuit of equal justice and moral authority, and weaknesses in public persuasion and crisis leadership.

Couple interesting take-aways from that list, too.

One: of 14 Democratic presidents on the list, nine are in the top half - 64%.  Of 18 Republicans, six are in the top half -- 33%.  Half of those Republicans come from before the parties switched ends on the political spectrum, and only two of those since the theocratic takeover of the GOP (Reagan at #9 and GHW Bush at #20).  Of the Democrats, six of the nine are since the parties swapped ends, the others being Wilson (#11), Polk (#14) and Jackson (#18).  The three Independents â€" Washington, who eschewed political labels; Tyler, who was expelled from the party by the Whigs; and Andrew Johnson, whose National Union party dissolved out from underneath him â€" are far too mixed a bag to be able to treat together.

Two: the average rating of all Democratic presidents is 18.9; that of all Republicans is 23.1. Only the four Democratic-Republicans (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and JQ Adams) do better (avg. 14.5); only the three Whigs (Taylor, Fillmore, and WH Harrison) do worse (avg. 35.3).

and Three: two, one is the countdown until Baruch goes off on some harebrained nonsense about leftist domination of academics being the only reason that Presidents Clinton and Obama aren't rated dead last in every category.

I stand corrected.  And well explained. 

And I appreciate the acknowledgement that Democrats essentially changed sides with Nixon (a point I try to make sometimes).  But yes, I did simplify presidential ratings.  I shouldn't have done that.  I was tired.  And lazy, using old measurements from my college years.

Thank you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 05:14:15 PM
I think the term "Nazi shitheads" is redundant...

:-)

So is communist cucks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

The last of the old school political observers ... Gore Vidal ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnom_ItxaMQ

This clip shows Obama, but it isn't about Obama.  It is about the nature of political reality in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhNvlSBIV1Q

The only book of his, that I read, was Creation, which is a fictionalization of the Axial Age when much of the religion we have now got started.  His Persian hero, went everywhere and met everyone from that time frame, from Confucius to Socrates.  Was it history?  No, it was a very creative and entertaining novel, that poked holes in icons of civilization.

More on his views in 2008 before the election ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHldmSOtYfk

I like to think that as a personality, Cavebear is much like Gore Vidal (though the details differ of course).  Or perhaps I am projecting.  Much of what I think matches Mr Vidal also.  It might just come from being elderly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 01:00:26 AM
I stand corrected.  And well explained. 

And I appreciate the acknowledgement that Democrats essentially changed sides with Nixon (a point I try to make sometimes).  But yes, I did simplify presidential ratings.  I shouldn't have done that.  I was tired.  And lazy, using old measurements from my college years.

Thank you.
Always glad to provide data.  :)  And Presidential politics was one of my focuses in PoliSci.

The left/right swap pre-dated Nixon; it began under FDR, really.  Isolationism moved the Republican party to the right, and Roosevelt shoved the Democrats to the left as the only workable response to the Great Depression -- certainly Hoover's "let's let the market work things out" wasn't working.  By embracing the Southern Strategy, Nixon completed (rather than initiated) the left/right swap.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan