News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Former Presidents

Started by Baruch, December 31, 2018, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

President Carter should be congratulated on his humility ... as should President Truman.  Both retired to modest estates.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/jimmy-carter-lives-in-an-inexpensive-house.html
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

The Iranians are especially thankful to EX president Carter for Ayatollah Khomeini.
30 years of oppressive theocracy is the best thing could have happened to them.

Not to mention the 444 days of captivity for the American embassy staff.

Yes, congratulations are due.

I almost forgot. A terrorist sympathizer and an antisemite to boot. Like the last president.

Jimmy Carter sued for Israel apartheid book

Carter, wife Rosalynn lay wreath on Arafat's grave (Photo: AP)

Baruch

We can't all be as perfect as you ;-)

I voted against Mr Carter in 76 and 80 ... but not for those reasons you mentioned.  I used to have more prejudice against Southerners and labor union supporters.  I wasn't as upset over the mishandling of the Shah and the Hostage Crisis.  At the time, I was in favor of nuking Iran.

A prior generation would have criticized Mr Truman for firing General MacArthur and for not nuking China.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

LoriPinkAngel

I don't think anyone would say Carter was the best President.  But he has done a lot of good since he left office.  Especially his work with Habitat for Humanity.  And he doesn't just give it lip service.  He goes and helps with the construction.

Cavebear

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on December 31, 2018, 02:35:09 PM
I don't think anyone would say Carter was the best President.  But he has done a lot of good since he left office.  Especially his work with Habitat for Humanity.  And he doesn't just give it lip service.  He goes and helps with the construction.

Indeed, Carter has been an exemplary Ex...  But that has nothing to do with his failures as President.  Only a couple of pre Civil War Presidents and Trump will score lower on the ratings...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

AT least Carter never started a war. 

He was a man who didn't feel the need to prove how big his dick was by sending some kid out to get his shot off.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 01:19:54 PM
AT least Carter never started a war. 

He was a man who didn't feel the need to prove how big his dick was by sending some kid out to get his shot off.

("ass" left out)  I agree completely.  But he was also the only Democrat I didn't vote for for President.  I didn't vote for Regan either.  I meant to vote for Anderson, but the line was WAY too long for a protest vote.

Minimalist

No, I meant "his [dick] shot off."  But either way works for the point.

Hey, Ronald (The Hero) Reagan attacked Grenada.  What a warrior he was!
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 01:57:10 PM
No, I meant "his [dick] shot off."  But either way works for the point.

Hey, Ronald (The Hero) Reagan attacked Grenada.  What a warrior he was!

Different phrases for different folks...  I hated Reagan (in fact, I never even get his name right most of the time).

But I would take him back in exchange for Trump... 

You know what scares me though?  Every Republican President after Ford (and he escapes by just being a decent guy who tried his best)  is worse than the last. 

1.  Reagan was just acting the role.
2.  Bush Sr said he didn't consider atheists to be "citizens".
3.  Bush Jr was dumb as a rock.
4.  Trump is dumber than Bush Jr.

I would take Nixon back.  At least he was "competent". 

Baruch

Yes, Nixon was competent, hence Watergate to get rid of him and replace him with Ford ;-)

OK, so you hate some people.  You and billions of other people.  So what makes you so special?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 05, 2019, 03:11:41 PM
Yes, Nixon was competent, hence Watergate to get rid of him and replace him with Ford ;-)

OK, so you hate some people.  You and billions of other people.  So what makes you so special?

Because sometimes I can't decide whether seeing you as the newest poster on a thread OR dropping a bowling ball on my foot is the least annoying option?

I'm serious, you are a thread-killer.  Mostly I just wait until someone else posts over you before I return to a subject.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 03:19:45 PM
Because sometimes I can't decide whether seeing you as the newest poster on a thread OR dropping a bowling ball on my foot is the least annoying option?

I'm serious, you are a thread-killer.  Mostly I just wait until someone else posts over you before I return to a subject.

Nothing wrong with returning to subject.  But when the Commissars here deviate from the OP, they are given a free hand ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Nixon was as much a traitor as Trump.  How many American soldiers died because he conspired with South Vietnam to scuttle Johnson's peace deal?

I voted for Nixon twice but at the end would have gladly opened the trap door to hang the motherfucker.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 05:18:48 PM
Nixon was as much a traitor as Trump.  How many American soldiers died because he conspired with South Vietnam to scuttle Johnson's peace deal?

I voted for Nixon twice but at the end would have gladly opened the trap door to hang the motherfucker.

I'll agree that hanging might have been appropriate.  I was merely discussing "competence", not ethics.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 05, 2019, 05:18:48 PM

Ah, you know.  Now we have to keel you ;-)

Ho Chih Minh should have assassinated LBJ, how is that for peace talks?

Didn't get to vote until 74.  But my dad could never forgive him, or Ford for pardoning him (dad was Republican).

Nixon's sins were small compared to the new Watergate election interference run by Obama, Hillary and the Resistance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.