News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Robert Price: The OT Is A Pile Of Shit

Started by Minimalist, December 30, 2018, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

I don't know..... lots of old farts in this congregation.

Last one out can turn off the lights.

Then there is this:

https://www.infowars.com/between-6000-and-10000-churches-in-the-u-s-are-dying-each-year-and-that-means-that-over-100-will-die-this-week/

(I deliberately chose Infowars to make the point!)

QuoteAs you will see below, between 6,000 and 10,000 churches are dying in the United States every single year, and that means that more than 100 will die this week alone.  And of course thousands of others are on life support.  All over the country this weekend, small handfuls of people will gather in huge buildings which once boasted very large congregations.  At one time, America was widely considered to be “a Christian nation”, but that really isn’t true anymore.

Depending on location most of them should be torn down and converted to what this country really needs:  More parking.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 31, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
America was never "a Christian nation" - just a holier-than-thou nation. I'm enjoying the decline of religion. I hardly ever hear anyone mention it, anymore, since I don't stay at the local gospel mission these days. There are two churches that have a breakfast for the homeless every Saturday and Sunday, but the most they ever do is pray before the meal. Well, they only do that at the Church of the Incarnation. The other is the local Unitarian church, and they don't seem to pray at all, ever.

I suspect, but you may prove me wrong.  That you have enjoyed the decline in civility and morality.  Not that churches uphold such things.

in American culture churches have functioned as alternatives to other social gatherings such as bars and political rallies.  I find the latter two ... problematic also.

Unitarians are different.  But you knew that.  Most Unitarian congregations are non-Abrahamic today.  Regular Christian groups may be sanctimonious ;-(

IMHO ... I believe it is illegal in most jurisdictions to be homeless.  It is called vagrancy.  Kind of brands you as a gypsy.  Not that the law is right.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The Supreme Court struck down vagrancy laws in 1983.  They ruled that it gave the police virtually an unlimited right to determine who could or could not walk the streets.

Today, as you know, the cops do not bother with such formalities.  They simply shoot anyone they don't like.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 01, 2019, 03:47:33 PM
The Supreme Court struck down vagrancy laws in 1983.  They ruled that it gave the police virtually an unlimited right to determine who could or could not walk the streets.

Today, as you know, the cops do not bother with such formalities.  They simply shoot anyone they don't like.

In actual practice, cops in California and New Mexico don't care what the SCOTUS says.  Vagrants who are not even dangerous, are routinely roughed up and even killed.  Your law is helpless to protect you in a bar fight.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Why do you think I rail against the fucking cops?

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 01, 2019, 05:06:40 PM
Why do you think I rail against the fucking cops?

But what does agonizing get you?  Have you been personally assaulted?  I hope not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Do you require personal assault to be outraged by injustice?  If so, I pity you.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 01, 2019, 11:41:44 PM
Do you require personal assault to be outraged by injustice?  If so, I pity you.

OK, but +7 billion injustices per day .. how do you have time to sleep, take a defecation etc.  Seems masochistic to me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I don't hear about all of them.  That helps.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 02, 2019, 11:26:42 AM
I don't hear about all of them.  That helps.

The Internet ... that doesn't help.  That is why the whole world is different from a generation ago.  Monkeys can handle a banana, but not the Internet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, back to the point of the thread, here are a couple of good quotes:

Quote from: Lemuel K. WashburnOf all the great inventions and discoveries that go to make human life easier, happier, more rich and glorious, not one can be laid to the work of theology. These triumphs all belong to science…. If man had no knowledge except what was got out of the Bible he would not know enough to make a shoe.

Quote from: Robert G. IngersollIf a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.

I wish more people would read the Bible, they'd be a lot less likely to believe it's a "holy book."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2019, 01:15:18 PM
Well, back to the point of the thread, here are a couple of good quotes:

I wish more people would read the Bible, they'd be a lot less likely to believe it's a "holy book."

Ironically preaching to the choir?

But don't forget that other scripture ... The Communist Manifesto ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

If you call it "scripture" does that mean you think it was God-breathed, according to 2 Timothy 3:16-17?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on January 02, 2019, 12:52:53 PM
The Internet ... that doesn't help.  That is why the whole world is different from a generation ago.  Monkeys can handle a banana, but not the Internet.

You know what else doesn't help, B?  Cable news and satellite TV.  Remember the Indian Ocean tsunami?  That played out in real time all across the world.  But if you went back 200 years - a tick of the clock in geological terms - who would have known?  A tsunami in the open ocean might not even be detectable by a sailing ship and they certainly would not know the extent of it unless they were visiting multiple ports of call and found each of them smashed.  Then how long to sail back to Europe to report the news if they did realize it?

Ted Turner changed all that.  Now we know when shit happens at once.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2019, 01:23:05 PM
If you call it "scripture" does that mean you think it was God-breathed, according to 2 Timothy 3:16-17?

Yes paper mâché Marx ... definitely a god you can follow, if you want to.  Just stay away from matches, your head is flammable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.