News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Laptops

Started by Draconic Aiur, December 30, 2018, 05:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

So lately Iv'e come to a conclusion to buy myself a new laptop, and trash my toaster. A gaming computer seems the best with better ram, memory, storage, and overall pc power and performance. My budget is under $600 (cheap is best but not that cheap) and this laptop is for everything:gaming, work, and class. I found Acer Aspire E5 or HP OMEN look great  but could use some advice on what's best.

Also where should I go for the best service? Best Buy and Amazon are pricey.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've had a series of ASUS laptops and never had any problems with them. Defo worth a look.

And prowl the Best Buys near you, looking for "open box" deals. I saved $100 on my last laptop that way.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Usually post sale service is mail-in-to-manufacturer.  Even a local repair shop will have to do that, or scrounge parts on E-bay.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I've used IBuyPower for my last two desktops ( the first one lasted 7 years ) and they have a line of laptops, too.

Essentially, you find one you like and can then customize it, if you wish.  I have needed little in the way of service from them and the one time I did they were superb.

https://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Computer/Laptops

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

trdsf

Old thread, but the right one.

Just resurrected my old Dell XPS; I now have a Linux laptop (OpenSuSE Leap 15.1).  Woot!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

One of my old laptops is currently cruising the Pacific on a "local service" (i.e. tramp) steamer. It's sending meteorological data back to a server at Purdue. Grad students happily accept donations today as they did when I was there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers