Have sporting events always been this bad?

Started by the_antithesis, December 30, 2018, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

So I just saw a lacrosse game with my family. I am not a sports guy. I love video games, but when they try to turn them into "e-sports" I can feel the enthusiasm and interest drain out of me. So I wouldn't be in this place if it weren't a family outing and I would totally weasel out of it if I could. But, even so, I cannot believe for the life of me how anyone can fool themselves into thinking they enjoy this shit because it is fucking terrible.

Let's be clear, I hate people. I don't even understand the game's rules so I have no idea what the hell is happening. The seats are squished and uncomfortable, triggering claustrophobia I didn't know I had. The concessions were overpriced and low quality.

I am not talking about any of that shit.

I am talking about the blaring, BLARING fucking music they played constantly. So many different clips. It was when I notice the music that I realized that this music felt desperate. Like they were trying like hell to distract the audience from how boring everything was, or to trick people into thinking they were entertained. I mean, it was constant. I couldn't hear myself fucking think. I could have spent my time trying to learn how the game worked so I could follow the game, but I gave up on that. Or talking with people. Or fucking anything. I could have learned to like the fucking game but the entire presentation seemed designed to keep me from even noticing the fucking game.

On top of this was other things,like the stupid sound effects whenever the how team would score a goal. (The team is named, somewhat stupidly, the Knighthawks so goals were punctuated with an ear-splitting hawk screech. I started rooting for the other team so I wouldn't have to hear that anymore) There were other stupid activities, like when cheerleaders--I guess-- threw t-shirts into the audience and stupid games where they gave a lucky audience member a chance at fabulous prizes,like gift certificates for the Distillery, and a hot dog race where people pt on awkward hot dog outfits and run around the field. A lot of this is like the stuff above that I decided to ignore. Stupid sound effects and lame promotions have been a part of professional sports for a century or more. But again, it distracts you from the game that you're ostensibly here to watch.

So, is this just me or my shitty city? I ask because I really don't know. Are pro sports losing people and doing stupid shit to retain interest. Are they doing this stuff to fool people into thinking they actually like going to games even though it completely sabotage any potential to gain interest in the game?

I am just frustrated and flabbergast and I have a headache. I hope it's a tumor.

Minimalist

I actually agree with you.  I have not been to a live hockey game in years because of the fucking suck-ass rock music they insist on blasting every time the puck stops moving.

I did get the satisfaction of telling some jackass in the Phoenix Coyotes box office why I had stopped attending when they called to sell me more tickets.  NOt that I was a fan of the Yotes but I would go see the Rangers and some of the other eastern teams when they came in on occasion but it got to the point where you couldn't even talk to the person you were with because of the noise.  I told the aforementioned jackass that the games were neadache inducing because of the music and he said "we want to make the game exciting for the fans."

I suggested that they put a better team on the ice.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

the_antithesis

Quote from: Minimalist on December 30, 2018, 01:18:43 AM
I told the aforementioned jackass that the games were neadache inducing because of the music and he said "we want to make the game exciting for the fans."

I suggested that they put a better team on the ice.

I am reminded when a friend told me of his experience going to a local titty bar that had recently bought a smoke machine. As he left, he told the guy the smoke machine was a bad idea. The guy mumble something about trying to be artistic and he replied "I can go anywhere and NOT see naked chicks."

Minimalist

While we are on the subject I also can't stand going into a grocery store where they insist on playing this fuck-awful music.  These screeching "singers" who have to style on every note make little more than noise.  In fact, if I heard an animal making such ghastly sounds I would put it out of its misery.

I am, admittedly, an old fart.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

I've only been to one professional sporting event in my life, a baseball game, and it was boring but I got through it and lived to tell the story. It wasn't anything like Casey at the Bat, but since I wasn't expecting much it didn't disappoint me at all.

Sports may be becoming a new form of religion for America, and perhaps the rest of the world as well. I'd be willing to bet that more people attend and listen/watch sports games than go to church every Sunday.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 30, 2018, 06:09:17 PM
Sports may be becoming a new form of religion for America, and perhaps the rest of the world as well.

Which is kind of my point. I think sports are slipping, so they're adding "production value" to make the game more palatable to the audience. Or maybe like Donnie Darko, which is an awful movie but many said they liked the movie because of the late-80's soundtrack. The movie itself isn't enjoyable, but they liked the music. The gameis no fun to watch, but they played a John Cougar song, so I had fun.

Unbeliever

It seems churches have been trying new things to attract a flock, too. Rock music, comedy, light shows, you name it.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 30, 2018, 12:36:49 AMI am not a sports guy. I love video games
QuoteI hate people.
I knew there was a reason I liked you.  :)

As for esports, I've never been to one, so I wouldn't know.  Probably not the most enrapturing thing in the world, so I can see why they'd try to jazz it up.  Clearly, they're overdoing it.

All I check out is the occasional replay on youtube.  The caster is moderately entertaining and there are frequent reversals of fortune that keep things interesting.  Plus, the players sometimes vent their frustrations in the game's chat, which is always amusing.

Cavebear

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 30, 2018, 12:36:49 AM

"Let's be clear, I hate people."

I'm not surprised...  You often prove that.  But I agree with some of your objections to sports.  I can watch women's college basketball as "comprehensible" and that is about it.  And MLB.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I enjoy watching women's gymnastics and the parallel uneven bars.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 12, 2019, 01:46:11 PM

Which parallel universe is that in, and why is that one uneven?  Must be odd then ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 12, 2019, 01:46:11 PM

I CAN enjoy "Womens' gymnastics" in an artistic way, but also note that none of them these days are actually "women" just hyperactively-trained girls.  What a goal.  You hit 18 (maybe 16 now) and you are done...  Not what I call a "sport".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 03, 2019, 09:05:53 AM
I CAN enjoy "Womens' gymnastics" in an artistic way, but also note that none of them these days are actually "women" just hyperactively-trained girls.  What a goal.  You hit 18 (maybe 16 now) and you are done...  Not what I call a "sport".

Not the only sport for teens.  Tennis often tops out in your 20s.  I know, you like to watch professional shuffleboard ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

The first time I heard about Olympic curling I thought it had to do with hair styles, or some such similar absurdity. After all, the only curling I'd ever heard about was my mom and sister doing it.
God Not Found