News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

When Will Vesuvius Join In?

Started by Minimalist, December 24, 2018, 03:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

Oh, BTW,  heavy duty earthquake around Mt. Etna today.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 01:10:06 AM
There was a story a while back that Pliny may have gotten the date wrong by a few months.

True.  They found some graffiti that said it was October 79, not August 79.  Well Pliny Jr was writing 25 years after the event.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 01:11:15 AM
Oh, BTW,  heavy duty earthquake around Mt. Etna today.

Teen Titan indigestion ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 25, 2018, 10:25:49 PM
While there is no specific connection between far-flung volcanoes erupting, it woukldn't surprise me greatly if many volcanoes did.  Tectonics are slow to change, but there have been times of greater volcanic activity than others. 
In 1987 there were eleven major earthquakes, each seven days after the prior one. The plot went right around the world. I was intrigued.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Minimalist

I wonder how many christards thought it was the end of the world, G/S?
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 03:15:53 PM
I wonder how many christards thought it was the end of the world, G/S?
My cousins predict the end of the world every year. Then they pray real hard and the Lord relents. For one more year.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Damn, it's a good thing your cousins are on the job! What would we do without them!?

LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

Reminds me of this old joke

A cop walks down 5th Avenue in New York and sees a guy standing there snapping his fingers.

"What's up, my friend?" he asks jovially.

"I'm keeping the rhinos away," the man answers.

"This is New York.  There are no rhinos," he replies.

"Ya see?"  the guys says truimphantly.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2018, 04:55:07 PM
My cousins predict the end of the world every year. Then they pray real hard and the Lord relents. For one more year.

Not a critical mass of gays yet ... for G-d to destroy some other location unrelated to gays.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

When the citizens of Dover Pa threw the creatard morons off the school board Pat Robertson said they better get ready for god to send them a disaster.  Shortly thereafter Kansas was ravaged by tornadoes demonstrating once again that god has a shitty aim.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Well, God is so old that his eyesight is probably not as good as it used to be.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 27, 2018, 07:45:05 PM
Well, God is so old that his eyesight is probably not as good as it used to be.

Japanese are un-ironic, when they display the "kami" was being deaf (due to old age).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteThe 1908 Messina earthquake occurred on 28 December in Sicily and Calabria, southern Italy with a moment magnitude of 7.1 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI. The cities of Messina and Reggio Calabria were almost completely destroyed and between 75,000 and 200,000 lives were lost.

Shit happens.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 01:10:06 AM
There was a story a while back that Pliny may have gotten the date wrong by a few months.

When you say "a while back" do you mean last year or a few centuries ago?  I mean, are you saying the eruption date was wrong or that he wasn't there?

Not trying to start an argument, just asking for clarification of your post. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 28, 2018, 10:58:51 PM
When you say "a while back" do you mean last year or a few centuries ago?  I mean, are you saying the eruption date was wrong or that he wasn't there?

Not trying to start an argument, just asking for clarification of your post.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45874858

Do I have to do everything?  Yes, I control the entire Internet, with my Evelyn Wood reading skills and 1000 letters per minute typing speed (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.