News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

In honor of the 1914-1918 world war ...

Started by Baruch, December 24, 2018, 01:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tell+them+of+us+part+1

8 short parts, about a real English family scared forever.  In Latin it is told, that war is the dread of mothers.

My father's father served stateside at Ft Sam Houston in the motor pool.  His older sister served as a nurse in England and her first marriage was there, at Southend-on-Sea according to the family Bible notes.  Never got to talk to either of them.  One of my mother's mother's older brothers was between Paris and heading to the Ardennes when the Armistice spared him.  I got to meet him in his old age.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 24, 2018, 01:37:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tell+them+of+us+part+1

8 short parts, about a real English family scared forever.  In Latin it is told, that war is the dread of mothers.

My father's father served stateside at Ft Sam Houston in the motor pool.  His older sister served as a nurse in England and her first marriage was there, at Southend-on-Sea according to the family Bible notes.  Never got to talk to either of them.  One of my mother's mother's older brothers was between Paris and heading to the Ardennes when the Armistice spared him.  I got to meet him in his old age.

My ancestors didn't fight in WWI that I know of.  But they were all involved in WWII.  Uncle Buzzy (pilot) dropped a bomb down into a Japanese ship smokestack.  Dad built subs.  Some other uncles never spoke of the war.

Well said...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

One grandfather was a recent immigrant and the other had contracted malaria during the Spanish-American war in Cuba. 

My father and uncles were all in WWII.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 25, 2018, 10:41:02 PM
One grandfather was a recent immigrant and the other had contracted malaria during the Spanish-American war in Cuba. 

My father and uncles were all in WWII.

I do recall my mother explaining about the youngest brother of 16.  He was big for his age, and often got skewed looks from others that he wasn't in uniform.  And Dad was refused because of "an enlarged heart".  So he built subs.  Turned out in the 60s they were wrong (hunting accident that required x-rays).

Baruch

My father-in-law was in the War department in WW II.  His brothers were enlisted in the Army.  My parents were teens, my dad supporting the war in wood shop (making training silhouettes) or a Rosie (my mother and her mother at Remington Arms in Denver).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2018, 11:58:32 PM
My father-in-law was in the War department in WW II.  His brothers were enlisted in the Army.  My parents were teens, my dad supporting the war in wood shop (making training silhouettes) or a Rosie (my mother and her mother at Remington Arms in Denver).

I respect all your family's work...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 01:26:59 AM
I respect all your family's work...

They were mostly patriotic Americans.  See also Korea and Vietnam.  And my "service" in the Cold War down to today.  But not all were.  And I respect that other family/Americans had different conclusions in the war years.  I can't imagine being pro-German or pro-fascist (not counting the war crimes we did ourselves) if I had been alive then.  In WW I, I can almost sympathize with the Germans, except for the U-boat warfare.  But that may just be a limited imagination.  I understand opposition to the Vietnam War (and curse LBJ for it).  I don't like the 1960 to make a comeback though.  Not that I can do anything about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Just don't tell me who won, I'm still reading.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 26, 2018, 06:36:45 AM

The Cold War?  Well it restarted, because the US and Russia can only exist with enemies who put their pants on ... two legs at a time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteBut war's a game, which, were their subjects wise, Kings should not play at.

William Cowper

Alas, in few nations are the subjects wise.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 01:08:20 AM

Alas, in few nations are the subjects wise.

The madness of crowds, upon which both commerce and politics depends.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 26, 2018, 06:36:45 AM

Well, not to spoils things, but pay attention to the German kid who got gassed in the trenches...  Minor artist, but he has a part later. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 12:42:41 AM
Well, not to spoils things, but pay attention to the German kid who got gassed in the trenches...  Minor artist, but he has a part later.

A totally fascinating character.  He was nearly shot, while fleeing unarmed, by a Tommy.  The Tommy took pity.  Bad Tommy!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Ernst Röhm would have been in charge if Adolf didn't make it through the war.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2018, 06:48:51 AM
Ernst Röhm would have been in charge if Adolf didn't make it through the war.

And I strongly suspect Ernst Röhm would have failed even worse than Hitler did.  So yes, better for us if he was the Fearless Leader.  With Ernst Röhm gone early, Albert Speer would have made a good leader (having been head of war economy).  The other German High Command suits were suck ups, except for Rommel and Manstein and Guderian (field commanders, not staff fluff).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.