Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 14, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
Wow, invoking Tiny Tim? What an eye-opener! LOL

I have portrayed a bizarre elderly Tiny Tim for Halloween.  I think I made him a Goth in his old age.

For younger members, here is the original ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

I think he rather looked like Baruch Spinoza himself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

If he'd been on the Gong Show he wouldn't've got past half a minute with that crap! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 14, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
If he'd been on the Gong Show he wouldn't've got past half a minute with that crap! LOL

I think it was the pre-Pee Wee Herman falsetto that got to people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think I saw him on Ed Sullivan when he was on, way long ago. It was a really big shoe...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Arik

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2019, 10:11:18 AM
It is no vice to be wary of hucksters, apologists, and madmen.  Which one are you?

I suppose some people call me a madman but eh, don't forget that also those that in the past were called madmen for saying that the earth is not the center of the universe went through the same hard time in having to put up with the real madmen.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on January 15, 2019, 07:58:58 AM

I suppose some people call me a madman but eh, don't forget that also those that in the past were called madmen for saying that the earth is not the center of the universe went through the same hard time in having to put up with the real madmen.

People who ad-hominem, do that because they have no argument.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Madman?  Hardly.  You are simply misguided and willfully ignorant.  Those 'madman' were usually called heretics but your kind.  And they proved their case by using the scientific method--they demonstrated they were correct.  Theists of any and all ages and all stripes have yet to use the scientific method (or any other) to prove anything.  You make assertions and call them proof and evidence.  You don't rise to the level of a madman, only blind and willfully so; one of the masses.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Arik on January 14, 2019, 09:40:52 AM
Your failing is that you expect that everything must be explained in a physical way even what is not physical.
You have to demonstrate the non-physical even exists before it can be considering as an explanation for anything.  It's not that damn difficult; an unexplained event is unexplained until it's explained, and making up something that you happen to like isn't explaining it.

This is exactly the same logical flaw committed by those who think UFOs are alien spacecraft.  You know what?  If they're alien spacecraft, then they are by definition not unidentified flying objects.

Do flying objects exist that are not identified?  Sure, that's any moving object in the sky that you don't know what it is.  There is no path from there to alien spacecraft, and calling them that is logically flawed.

In the same way, do we know how consciousness works?  No.  But there is no path from there to "therefore supernatural" and claiming it's somehow transcendent and beyond material explanation is equally logically flawed for the exact same reasons.  All you can say is "we don't know how it works yet".  Nothing more.

You can believe what you like about the nature consciousness.  You may not call your belief a theory or a hypothesis or an explanation, you may not call your opinions evidence, and you certainly may not call it knowledge or fact or demonstrated.

Them's the rules if you don't want to be considered a crank.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Galileo gambit.

GG no re

Arik

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 15, 2019, 12:51:47 PM
Madman?  Hardly.  You are simply misguided and willfully ignorant.  Those 'madman' were usually called heretics but your kind.  And they proved their case by using the scientific method--they demonstrated they were correct.  Theists of any and all ages and all stripes have yet to use the scientific method (or any other) to prove anything.  You make assertions and call them proof and evidence.  You don't rise to the level of a madman, only blind and willfully so; one of the masses.

Wrong again Mike.

Yoga is the oldest and the best scientific method that there is and ever existed.
The physical science that you rely to day after day after day came few thousand years after the science of yoga.

One of your problem Mike is that you haven't got the slightest idea what science is all about.
Without going in details science in general is all but knowledge on a particular subject which subject doesn't have to be necessary of physical nature and by practicing yoga is possible to get the best of all knowledge.

Because this knowledge is achieved only by those who practice this science is obvious that is not transferable to other although other people can get it themselves if they so desire.

A last point Mike.

Why yoga is the best among all science?
Easy Mike.
Because it lead to the infinite which is what all form of life conscious or unconscious strive for.
Physical science on the other hand is all about survival only.
Survive is a must but after survival something else something bigger is expected.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: trdsf on January 15, 2019, 06:29:30 PM
You have to demonstrate the non-physical even exists before it can be considering as an explanation for anything.  It's not that damn difficult; an unexplained event is unexplained until it's explained, and making up something that you happen to like isn't explaining it.

This is exactly the same logical flaw committed by those who think UFOs are alien spacecraft.  You know what?  If they're alien spacecraft, then they are by definition not unidentified flying objects.

Do flying objects exist that are not identified?  Sure, that's any moving object in the sky that you don't know what it is.  There is no path from there to alien spacecraft, and calling them that is logically flawed.

Does this means that you can transfer to a child that has never experienced physical-mental love what the love between you and your lover is all about?

Can you?
So if you can not how on earth are you expecting that a materialist that is billions of light years far away from any from of spirituality be able to understand what God is all about?

QuoteIn the same way, do we know how consciousness works?  No.  But there is no path from there to "therefore supernatural" and claiming it's somehow transcendent and beyond material explanation is equally logically flawed for the exact same reasons.  All you can say is "we don't know how it works yet".  Nothing more.

You can believe what you like about the nature consciousness.  You may not call your belief a theory or a hypothesis or an explanation, you may not call your opinions evidence, and you certainly may not call it knowledge or fact or demonstrated.

1) Consciousness is there even when the cells that make up your body die and new pop up.
From here you can work out that consciousness is not physical in nature otherwise she also would die when all the rest die and a new consciousness would pop up but that is not the case.

2) As far as ...........we do not know how consciousness works............
that is a defective response because through the art of intuitional science is possible to know how the consciousness works.

QuoteThem's the rules if you don't want to be considered a crank.

Them's the rules?
What?

Arik

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2019, 12:39:59 PM
People who ad-hominem, do that because they have no argument.

I suppose that it also must be quite hard to say............I was wrong.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Arik on January 16, 2019, 08:08:28 AM

Wrong again Mike.

Yoga is the oldest and the best scientific method that there is and ever existed.
The physical science that you rely to day after day after day came few thousand years after the science of yoga.

One of your problem Mike is that you haven't got the slightest idea what science is all about.
Without going in details science in general is all but knowledge on a particular subject which subject doesn't have to be necessary of physical nature and by practicing yoga is possible to get the best of all knowledge.

Because this knowledge is achieved only by those who practice this science is obvious that is not transferable to other although other people can get it themselves if they so desire.

A last point Mike.

Why yoga is the best among all science?
Easy Mike.
Because it lead to the infinite which is what all form of life conscious or unconscious strive for.
Physical science on the other hand is all about survival only.
Survive is a must but after survival something else something bigger is expected.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha..............................................................What a riot--you are just one belly laugh after another! :)))))))))))))  Keep on posting, I need a good laugh every now and again!! :)))))) :grin:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Arik on January 16, 2019, 08:08:28 AMYoga is the oldest and the best scientific method that there is and ever existed.

QuoteOne of your problem Mike is that you haven't got the slightest idea what science is all about.
Well that's totally wrong (and partially incoherent)

The correct answer has to do with the process of systematizing knowledge.  Basically, the exact opposite of the mysticism you espouse.

Baruch

Quote from: Arik on January 16, 2019, 08:45:42 AM

I suppose that it also must be quite hard to say............I was wrong.

Inconceivable ... everyone here is like this guy ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhXjcZdk5QQ
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.