News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 08:49:52 AM
OK, you are saying that the soul is separate from the person and does not belong to them to control.  I get that.  What about vaccines?  How about if a pregnant women dares to venture out of the house?  Is that wrong?  What if her actions help other women to give birth and she loses her child?  What happens to her in God's eyes?

I am afraid my friend that your philosophy is too difficult for me to understand.
Any chances that you can explain in simple words what you are talking about?
Thanks.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 12, 2019, 09:10:32 AM
That's...not how evidence works.

I agree that it wouldn't work in a court of law but on the other hand love has very little to do with laws and rules which the society base their arguments upon.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 09:13:15 AM
Indeed, evidence goes one way.  And usually, not in favor of theists...

Are you saying that most atheists carry any evidence?

Are you serious?

Where is the evidence that Jesus never existed or that when you die is all over or that the consciousness is a product of the brain?

Better stop fooling yourself into believing that you are right and theists are wrong.
Theists especially religious theists are often wrong so are atheists that is why is not one way.

Cavebear

Quote from: Arik on January 12, 2019, 09:41:02 AM

I am afraid my friend that your philosophy is too difficult for me to understand.
Any chances that you can explain in simple words what you are talking about?
Thanks.

I understand your difficulty in comprehending complex ideas.  So I will put it in simpler terms you might be able to understand.

Superstitions of deities throwing lightning, DUMB.  Non-theistic evidence makes sense of thunder and lightning; GOOD!

I hope that helped...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 09:13:15 AM
Indeed, evidence goes one way.  And usually, not in favor of theists...

Materialism goes one way.  But it is like giving all the powerful chess pieces to one side.  If one wants confirmation bias (most people do), then you arrange the assumptions in your favor, and teflon your assumptions.  Like how Hillary ran the Dem primary in 2016.  That isn't open discussion.  But open discussion isn't what this forum is about.  I get that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 11:21:19 AM
Materialism goes one way.  But it is like giving all the powerful chess pieces to one side.  If one wants confirmation bias (most people do), then you arrange the assumptions in your favor, and teflon your assumptions.  Like how Hillary ran the Dem primary in 2016.  That isn't open discussion.  But open discussion isn't what this forum is about.  I get that.

You underestimate your potential influence.  Get your reputation back to more thoughtful posts and you might be surprised at the positive attention you get.  Many people would respond to that.  Doesn't mean the replies will all be positive; that is a risk you take.  But I would sure love to see you post more seriously.  I know there is more in that empty vessel you pretend to inhabit sometimes...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 11:30:25 AM
You underestimate your potential influence.  Get your reputation back to more thoughtful posts and you might be surprised at the positive attention you get.  Many people would respond to that.  Doesn't mean the replies will all be positive; that is a risk you take.  But I would sure love to see you post more seriously.  I know there is more in that empty vessel you pretend to inhabit sometimes...

Yeah, like Avis, I try harder ... so do you ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gMsusVaLng
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 11:41:40 AM
Yeah, like Avis, I try harder ... so do you ...

I like the "Mayhem" commercials better.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 01:24:06 PM
I like the "Mayhem" commercials better.

I guess you want to be a claims adjuster in your next life?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 09:55:10 AM
I understand your difficulty in comprehending complex ideas.  So I will put it in simpler terms you might be able to understand.

Superstitions of deities throwing lightning, DUMB.  Non-theistic evidence makes sense of thunder and lightning; GOOD!

I hope that helped...

Personally I can not see much difference between religious superstitions and atheists dogmas such as .........when we die is all over or the consciousness is a product of the brain just to mention two.
The way you carry on CB is the hard way to the top which will be so hard that it will be impossible for you to climb much further.
Life doesn't have to be so complicate.
As a seed can not yet understand what a tree that produce it is all about also a small consciousness can not yet understand what the cosmic consciousness is all about that is why is so much better take a step at the time instead of trying to understand what is not yet possible to understand.

As a seed need to germinate and grow before it can become a mature tree also humans need to exit the dogma trap that we are separate from everything else and our life means nothing to anybody.

aitm

Quote from: Arik on January 13, 2019, 09:02:01 AM
..... also a small consciousness can not yet understand what the cosmic consciousness is all about that is why is so much better take a step at the time instead of trying to understand what is not yet possible to understand.
A fitting close. I don't know or understand the cosmic universe, but I believe I am special therefore I spew bullshit and proclaim it truth and no one, NO ONE can disprove me.

You nor more can prove consciousness exists outside of the human brain than you can prove trees don't have consciousness. But if you get a stiffy blabbering bullshit, by all means stroke your skull.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: Arik on January 12, 2019, 08:44:50 AM
What is evidence to you may not be evidence to me and the other way around.
Let's see, what's the clearest way to put this?  Oh, yes.

WRONG.

Evidence is by definition independent of the individual.  It is data, not feelings or impressions or ideas.

Let's say you and I walk into a room.  I think it's just right, you think it's cold.  Is it just right or is it cold?  It's neither, because those are individual and subjective assessments.  Now, we can measure the temperature, the pressure and the humidity.  I still might think that a room at 65F is just right, and you might think it's cold, and the data doesn't give a fuck what either of us think.

Your impressions are your own, and I don't question that you believe them, but that does not make them evidence, and unless you can crowbar this fact into your cranium, this conversation serves absolutely no purpose, outside of your own mental masturbation.

You do not get to redefine terms to fit any damned thing you want them to be.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

There is evidence for life.  Materialist deny it.  There is evidence for consciousness.  Materialists deny it.  Common denominator?  Autistic 13 year old males, who can't get over that Santa Claus isn't real.  There are many stages on the path to full nihilism; including misanthropy and self hatred.  Think of a three year old having a tantrum on the floor of the grocery store, embarrassing his mother who spoiled him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on January 13, 2019, 12:54:46 PM
There is evidence for life.  Materialist deny it.  There is evidence for consciousness.  Materialists deny it.  Common denominator?  Autistic 13 year old males, who can't get over that Santa Claus isn't real.  There are many stages on the path to full nihilism; including misanthropy and self hatred.  Think of a three year old having a tantrum on the floor of the grocery store, embarrassing his mother who spoiled him.
I think of that child when I think of you--and all the other theists that want so very much to have their favorite fantasy be true.  When nobody accepts there 'evidence' is where the child comes out--the tantrums.  There are many steps to self delusion and religion accelerates those steps.  Just because you believe in your own personal fiction does not mean I, or anybody else, will embrace them.  Grow up.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 13, 2019, 01:03:26 PM
I think of that child when I think of you--and all the other theists that want so very much to have their favorite fantasy be true.  When nobody accepts there 'evidence' is where the child comes out--the tantrums.  There are many steps to self delusion and religion accelerates those steps.  Just because you believe in your own personal fiction does not mean I, or anybody else, will embrace them.  Grow up.

No need to kill your father and marry your mother, eh Oedipus? (sarc)  My father was Santa Claus, and my mother Mrs Santa Claus.  The real kind, not the marketing kind.  Not a belief, but for real.  Of course if you had no parents (raised by wolves) or your parents only gave you lumps of coal, I weep for your lost childhood.

Ah, all grown up?  The ultimate growing up is attending your own funeral.  Are you looking forward to being "fully" mature/over-ripe?  Will you be giving the world, the middle finger (right hand) during the viewing of your body?  So many pr126 folks here, whose inner child is long dead.

Arik, being of S Asian persuasion, he will understand at least as metaphor, that reality is the lila (play) of the sleeping Brahman, a wet dream.  Those who can't even "get it up" can't relate to that.  It does get harder and harder as you age.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.