Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arik

Let me introduce myself.
I am a non religious theist.
I have been interacting for several years in an other atheist forum until few weeks ago someone decided to boot me out.
The official reason is that I have been trolling.
In reality I insisted in asking for evidence.
Evidence that the consciousness is a product of the brain, evidence that when the body die also the consciousness die and other evidence.
These are beliefs that most atheists rely so I can not see why this has to do with trolling.
Atheists always ask for evidence about beliefs that theists have so I can not see why asking for evidence about atheists beliefs is trolling.
But please let me answer one question that atheists always ask to theist.
Evidence for God.
This topic is very interesting indeed.
To me it all boil down so to speak about evidence for love.
Love is not only physical.
It can also be mental and spiritual.
When a person is in physical-mental love his-her body produce extra hormones.
According to the type of love these hormones are produced by certain glands in the body or brain.
In physical-mental love this nice feeling is usually felt in the heart and in less part in the brain.
By practicing love for God this nice feeling that is given by hormones is felt in the pineal gland which since the antiquity is known as the third eye so to me this is clear evidence that God exist otherwise no hormones would be released.

What you think?

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Baruch

Well, pay attention to what the moderators consider to be trolling.  And if warned, then modify your approach to be acceptable or get banned.  We do ban here.  Otherwise we are pretty tolerant ... after all, I am a freethinking theist myself ;-)

Most posters here are the regular kinds of atheists.  They may not want to debate you over things they have done with the many theists that came before you.  And some will project upon you, their pet objections to theism, without listening carefully to you.

My own POV is that psychology, not materialism, not dualism (here is where you probably fit), not philosophy in general ... is the correct foundation.  My evidence is the universal mean and spread of human feeling, thought and behavior.

Welcome.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Hello, there.

The obvious answer is that gods are human inventions designed to satisfy the fears of primitive men.  There are no gods.  There is however, religion and it has been a detriment to humanity from the beginning.  The fact that the notion of god still persists into the 21st century in advanced nations is not testimony to the reality of god but rather to the effectiveness of the marketing and indoctrination done by religions. 
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

aitm

Person 1 believes in a god
Person 2 says gods are not real
Person 1 says god is real because it makes me feel warm and loved.... therefor god must exist.

the end.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 23, 2018, 12:15:06 PM
Person 1 believes in a god
Person 2 says gods are not real
Person 1 says god is real because it makes me feel warm and loved.... therefor god must exist.

the end.

The eternal battle between IQ and EQ.  Between Science and Art.  The fight club of the High Brows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 23, 2018, 01:46:53 PM
Well said, B.

Most people are uncomfortable thinking in generalities.  It is possible to be too general, unless you are one.

This is not to say, that thinking about the minutae of individuals isn't valid.  That is what keeps the generalizations "real".

We can always look at what makes two people different.  But we always have something in common as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Welcome, Arik.
What you feel is no doubt real to and for you.  It is pure subjectivity to me.  All gods are fiction.  Your feelings or beliefs do not negate that fact.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Hi Arik!

So, are you saying that your definition of "God" is "love"? But you don't believe in the Bible's version? I'm just trying to see where you're at, so I can better understand what you're saying. One of my main problems with the idea of God is the lack of a widespread, coherent definition of it. It seems that the word can mean anything at all, and so it means nothing at all. I believe in love too, but I just don't call it God.

Or are you saying that because our bodies produce certain chemicals when we attempt to "love" God, that means that God must exist?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

QuoteMost people are uncomfortable thinking in generalities.

I don't know about that.  Most people seem to do nothing else.

Someone once said something to the effect of "most people never think, they just rearrange their prejudices."

-- H. L. Mencken

Mr.Obvious

Welcome Arik.

You say love is physical.

But what is love?

Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me, no more.

Nah, seriously mate, welcome.

When you say non-religious, does that mean you don't concider yourself hindu, or muslim, or jewish or christian or budhist or Hoodoo, or ... ? Or do you associate with some religion more than another?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Arik

Love is felt by both body, mind and if you engage in spirituality also there is felt so love (to me) does not have borders.

When I say non religious I simply means that I do not follow religions.
Religions (to me) do not represent what Jesus, Shiva, Krishna, Buddha and other were teaching.
I do not say that what is written in the so called Holy books is garbage.
In fact something make sense but a lot doesn't make any sense and get you nowhere.
When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Mike Cl

Quote from: Arik on December 24, 2018, 09:21:22 AM
Love is felt by both body, mind and if you engage in spirituality also there is felt so love (to me) does not have borders.

When I say non religious I simply means that I do not follow religions.
Religions (to me) do not represent what Jesus, Shiva, Krishna, Buddha and other were teaching.
I do not say that what is written in the so called Holy books is garbage.
In fact something make sense but a lot doesn't make any sense and get you nowhere.
I see and understand love to be a survival trait and was shaped by evolution; god is simply a fiction people use when they 'feel' something they cannot explain.  All are fictional.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Arik

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 23, 2018, 05:17:49 PM
Hi Arik!

So, are you saying that your definition of "God" is "love"? But you don't believe in the Bible's version? I'm just trying to see where you're at, so I can better understand what you're saying. One of my main problems with the idea of God is the lack of a widespread, coherent definition of it. It seems that the word can mean anything at all, and so it means nothing at all. I believe in love too, but I just don't call it God.

Many religions with all their Saints and pictures of their God-s produce some sort of image representing a God in a human form so to believe that in reality God does not have any human form but is an entity made of pure love is quite difficult to digest to most.

QuoteOr are you saying that because our bodies produce certain chemicals when we attempt to "love" God, that means that God must exist?

Love (to me) can not be love unless two entity are involved.
Actually even if you fall in love with your car your mind will give you satisfaction by producing hormones but these hormones will not be secreted by your pineal gland as in the case of spiritual love.
The higher the form of love is and the higher the gland that will produce hormones will be situated along your spinal cord that is why the hormones secreted by the pineal gland can only be related to spiritual love. 

Arik

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 24, 2018, 09:44:43 AM
I see and understand love to be a survival trait and was shaped by evolution; god is simply a fiction people use when they 'feel' something they cannot explain.  All are fictional.

I do respect your belief but to me it doesn't make much sense.
If that would be the case why then my pineal gland produce a beautiful feeling when I practice my meditation which involve also to be one with the whole?