How to Build a Dyson Sphere - The Ultimate Megastructure

Started by Unbeliever, December 22, 2018, 03:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I couldn't find an existing thread for this, so I started a new one. I wish I could be around for the day we complete one of these!

QuoteIf humans want to expand into space, it will take us incredible amounts of energy. How do we do that? Easy: we will just use the sun’s energy by realizing the most ambitious construction project in history. This is how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP44EPBMb8A

I'm surprised we'd only have to use one planet for this, I was under the impression we'd have to use all the planets we have access to.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2018, 03:32:40 PM
I couldn't find an existing thread for this, so I started a new one. I wish I could be around for the day we complete one of these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP44EPBMb8A

I'm surprised we'd only have to use one planet for this, I was under the impression we'd have to use all the planets we have access to.
Is this an all-or-nothing deal or could we build a partial Dyson swarm and gradually extend it?  Because doing it all in one go sounds too complex/expensive to realistically accomplish anytime soon.

Unbeliever

It probably would take a long time to finish the whole thing, but I don't see why we couldn't take a while to get the whole thing done. Once we get started we could already use whatever energy we'd be getting in just the partial swarm. And as we continue the energy we get would constantly be increasing.
God Not Found

aitm

It would take a long time......like the first part would have outhouses and clubs and the last part would have devices that attach to your parts and literally suck the crap out of ya and alongside the shitter is a swinging bubble with 2 mag nuc bullets that can blow apart a moon. And all the peeps be like..."hey, lets go check out the outhouse"....and there ya have it, our fascination with bodily scat will make it impossible to finish the damn thing.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Looked it up.  A dyson ring (a swarm of satellites, all with the same orbit) would suck up a lot of energy while being a relatively simple, easy-to-maintain option.  And the cherry on top is that it can be perpendicular to the Earth, so it wouldn't block any sunlight coming to the Earth.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 23, 2018, 05:21:20 PM
We could call it Ouroboros, perhaps.

Hopefully not a Mobius strip, I think that would be unstable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I've been waiting to see if we could detect a Dyson Sphere being built.  Its "possible".  And  a suggestion of one (though a couple years old)  https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-just-found-a-second-dyson-sphere-star
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!