Why Africa's Future Is Colonial

Started by pr126, December 22, 2018, 11:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

WotW looks at African colonialism past, present and future and considers explanatory factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbV1Fcoacc

Hijiri Byakuren

Didn't watch the video, but based on the thumbnail it looks like this is just your usual anti-communist paranoia.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

China is all over Africa, as they were during the Cold War, only more so.  And all over Latin America (Venezuela), and all over Europe (see Chinese colony in N Italy).  Now I am not anti-Chinese, but I don't think Emperor Xi is doing anything for my good, but for his good.  Similarly I am not anti-Russian.  Just anti-D and anti-R in the US.

Yes, the endless war of the autistic male against the rest of society continues.  Every once in awhile they get the upper hand (see Chavez/Maduro in Venezuela, Mugabe in Zimbabwe) and they mostly destroy their own societies.  Agent provocateurs (GB, US, Russia, China) exploit this chaos for their own ends.

Africa has been colonized since the Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Vandals, Arabs ... about 3000 years now (aside from Egypt/Ethiopia).  Until the last natural and human resource is drained from it, the people all around, like a mother wasp, plant their pupa in the African host, to feed on it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Africa is fucked. Alsp @pr126 : we made this thread already.

Minimalist

The problem is greedy rich fucks.  Doesn't matter what color their flag happens to be.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 22, 2018, 08:40:47 PM
The problem is greedy rich fucks.  Doesn't matter what color their flag happens to be.

Not just greedy, not just rich ... but with guns.  Lots of guns.  So what are you going to do about it, ask the Chinese nicely to desist?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Desist from what?  From doing what every other rising nation has done throughout history?  That is illogical my friend.  We have bankrupted ourselves doing what the Chinese intend to do or try to do. 
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 23, 2018, 11:13:34 AM
Desist from what?  From doing what every other rising nation has done throughout history?  That is illogical my friend.  We have bankrupted ourselves doing what the Chinese intend to do or try to do.

Correct.  But China didn't finance our rise to power, Britain did (lots of investments in the 19th century)  The US financed the rise of China.  The US saved Britain twice.  Do you think China will bother to come save us, if we are in trouble?

I happen to agree that aggression is natural, and that pacifism isn't.  There are many ways to be aggressive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteDo you think China will bother to come save us, if we are in trouble?

Depends on how useful they think we can be to them.   The Romans made peace with the Parthians on occasion when it suited their interest and when Germany became a major power on the continent the British forgot 5 centuries of hostilities with France and allied themselves with them.  Geopolitics is about as pragmatic an outlook as you can get.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 23, 2018, 01:45:00 PM

Depends on how useful they think we can be to them.   The Romans made peace with the Parthians on occasion when it suited their interest and when Germany became a major power on the continent the British forgot 5 centuries of hostilities with France and allied themselves with them.  Geopolitics is about as pragmatic an outlook as you can get.

Today's opponents are tomorrow's allies.  Opponents are inevitable, but don't make enemies.  That is unforgivable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

To quote the Duke of Wellington:  We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France.

Didn't quite work out that way.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 23, 2018, 06:22:02 PM
To quote the Duke of Wellington:  We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France.

Didn't quite work out that way.

I don't know about that.  President Teddy Roosevelt arranged the rapprochement between GB and France before 1914 (after centuries of rivalry).  But the feeling of being allies was very temporary.  I don't think the French considered the British to be allies in 1940 (projecting on their part).  They hated the British still, even then.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The French and British were allies in Crimea in 1854.  Of course, Wellington was dead by then but he could have rolled over in his grave, I guess.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 24, 2018, 01:57:29 AM
The French and British were allies in Crimea in 1854.  Of course, Wellington was dead by then but he could have rolled over in his grave, I guess.

All part of an early effort to defeat superman Putin ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Any culture or group of cultures that fall behind others will be preyed upon.  Africa is subject to periodic  climactic problems that prevent them from organizing lasting nations.  While these conditions were beneficial to challenging early hominids to evolve and succeed (and leave), they are very hard in the long-term. 

One challenge (among many) for the developed world is to find ways to make Africa as a whole into a place for humans to grow and thrive.  We owe that to the place we came from, and we owe it to the people who live there. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!