Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fuck All Religions!

Started by Minimalist, December 22, 2018, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/yes-war-science-religion/

QuoteYes, there is a war between science and religion

QuoteIn the end, it’s irrational to decide what’s true in your daily life using empirical evidence, but then rely on wishful-thinking and ancient superstitions to judge the “truths” undergirding your faith. This leads to a mind (no matter how scientifically renowned) at war with itself, producing the cognitive dissonance that prompts accommodationism. If you decide to have good reasons for holding any beliefs, then you must choose between faith and reason. And as facts become increasingly important for the welfare of our species and our planet, people should see faith for what it is: not a virtue but a defect.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Please don't fuck them, they might reproduce.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

While I agree to fuck all religious, I fuck the irreligious too.  It all depends on how pretty they are.

So Minimalist, what can you do to maintain your edginess?  Swallow fire or swords maybe?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

yep, fuck all forms of indoctrination, from religions to Marxism
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Quote from: Allie JacksonWhy can’t I leave religion alone? Because it storms its way into my children’s schools, it weasels its way into my government and its followers demand I can’t do what I want with my body. Right now people are being tortured, beaten, raped and murdered in the name of religion. Is that reason enough?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2018, 01:48:19 PM
Why can’t I leave religion alone? Because it storms its way into my children’s schools, it weasels its way into my government and its followers demand I can’t do what I want with my body. Right now people are being tortured, beaten, raped and murdered in the name of religion. Is that reason enough?

its true, thats what religion does. But so does most invasive political and social ideologies today.
We can't have a well balanced society when only one side wants to force its imprint on everyone.

Unbeliever

"...only one side"? Which side would that be? Seems to me that all sides want to force their imprint on everyone.
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2018, 02:46:45 PM
"...only one side"? Which side would that be? Seems to me that all sides want to force their imprint on everyone.

I'm referring to any extreme ideology from their perspective being 'the one'. 

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 22, 2018, 02:57:10 PM
I'm referring to any extreme ideology from their perspective being 'the one'.

False messiahs, every one.  I promise you utopia, I bring you dystopia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Feral Atheist

It's not a war between science and religion, but between science and utter ignorance.... but I repeat myself.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Unbeliever

Well, religion is utter ignorance, willful utter ignorance. Actually, it's even worse than that, since believing wrong stuff is worse than not knowing real stuff.
God Not Found

Shiranu

I never understood the atheist obsession with throwing the baby out with the bathwater, nor the same for theists.

Religion gets plenty of things right... and perhaps gets those things more right than "atheism" does. Yes, there are fantastic philosophical and moral atheist philosophies... but how many atheists actually spend time learning them vs spending time obsessing over science, politics and other things beyond their control that, while good to know, have little to no practical effect on their life?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on February 09, 2019, 07:45:37 PM
I never understood the atheist obsession with throwing the baby out with the bathwater, nor the same for theists.

Religion gets plenty of things right... and perhaps gets those things more right than "atheism" does. Yes, there are fantastic philosophical and moral atheist philosophies... but how many atheists actually spend time learning them vs spending time obsessing over science, politics and other things beyond their control that, while good to know, have little to no practical effect on their life?

Idunno. Can't speak for statistics on that. But i can't say i personally was more 'philosophically attuned' back when i was a catholic.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Having increased the size of my world view to include the very smallest all the way to the very largest (at least as well as I've so far been able to do), I find that I matter not as far as size is concerned, but as far as observing the universe (even vicariously, through the eyes of scientists) I am doing what is good for me, since I am the universe observing itself (as are we all). If all I can do is observe, then I will do that to the best of my ability. It's really the only true meaning I can see for myself, and it helps me to generate meaning in my life.

But knowing the true state of things from a Planck length/time to at least as far out as the edge of the observable universe gives me a wonderful perspective on what really matters, which is nothing at all, except the sheer fact of existence itself.
God Not Found