News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Leaving The Site in 2020

Started by Naru, January 16, 2019, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naru

Quote from: Cavebear on May 16, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
I just like this site.  I'm not an IT type.  But is there anything I can do to help while the future of it gets sorted out?

Nah you are good man. We will keep everyone posted when all the details are in.

Cavebear

Quote from: Naru on June 10, 2019, 04:25:35 PM
Nah you are good man. We will keep everyone posted when all the details are in.

Thank you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

aileron

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on April 20, 2019, 01:41:38 PM
Assuming Wolf and Naru are going to give the place back as opposed to selling it then I don't think financing is going to be an issue. There are at least a couple who have volunteered to pony up enough to keep the place running at least on a minimal level. i.e. no expensive hosts.

We just need someone to step up and volunteer to administer the place.

There's not much to do in terms of administration these days... The hoster does almost all of that these days. I've not been active here for years, so I'd expect someone else to own the domain but I can help that person with the technical stuff.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Cavebear

Quote from: aileron on August 04, 2019, 09:03:56 PM
There's not much to do in terms of administration these days... The hoster does almost all of that these days. I've not been active here for years, so I'd expect someone else to own the domain but I can help that person with the technical stuff.

It might be helpful if someone described briefly what skills are required.  Sometimes peole have the skills but don't know those skills are sufficient.  Site management might be harder or easier than some of us assume. 

I know that I (as a Federal Government employee) was once was presented with proprietary vendor telephone call data for my agency that the IT guys couldn't translate and that I spent a year figuring out.  But I did it.  Some programs are just persistence.  Is this one?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 05, 2019, 07:42:34 AM
It might be helpful if someone described briefly what skills are required.  Sometimes peole have the skills but don't know those skills are sufficient.  Site management might be harder or easier than some of us assume. 

I know that I (as a Federal Government employee) was once was presented with proprietary vendor telephone call data for my agency that the IT guys couldn't translate and that I spent a year figuring out.  But I did it.  Some programs are just persistence.  Is this one?

It is important it not be hosted outside the US (physically) beyond that I don't care.  PC outside the US would shut this down immediately.  Even in Canada.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 12:26:47 PM
It is important it not be hosted outside the US (physically) beyond that I don't care.  PC outside the US would shut this down immediately.  Even in Canada.

You mean in a legally-protected sense?  That could be a concern.

morgan_hilarious

Quote from: Baruch on August 05, 2019, 12:26:47 PM
Even in Eastern Europe? I'm sure there are all kinds of places that would easily host this stuff.

Baruch

Quote from: morgan_hilarious on September 13, 2019, 08:17:26 PM
Even in Eastern Europe? I'm sure there are all kinds of places that would easily host this stuff.

Depends.  EU is the blob, they will absorb all countries.  Even Poland, Hungary etc.  They are the living-death of the Internet, because France is still bitter over Mini-Tel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'll ask again to the admins.  If you really intend to abandon this site next year, what is is it worth to you to help sometime keep it up?  I ask this with no intent of monetary return.  Just to continue enjoy it...

Naru

Just want to give an update on leaving the site. As of right now, all plans on leaving the site is delayed until the beginning of 2021. Without going into any details, I have decided to stick around for another year and to give us more time to find a proper replacement for myself. Keep the community alive is my number one goal. I will continue to update everyone if something changes.

Thanks for your patience with us.