Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Well, I bet that was fun!

LOL

Yes it was.  "Allah" was so much the one and only god to them, they really couldn't manage a word for anyone else's "god", even an ancient one.  In fact just putting the word "god" (which they translated as "Allah") in lower case distressed them greatly.  So, of course I did early and often.

Ah, those were the days.  But I got bored torturing simple theists.  You folks are MUCH more fun...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 01:02:49 PM
Find blind idiot on the street.  Push him into the middle of traffic.  Virtuous that.  You are much too used to fishing, by dropping dynamite into a barrel.

I find I have to play every team on the schedule.  They are not all going to be the 1927 Yankees.  Most of them will be the 1962 Mets.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 01:02:49 PM
Find blind idiot on the street.  Push him into the middle of traffic.  Virtuous that.  You are much too used to fishing, by dropping dynamite into a barrel.

Too easy.  Just rearrange the furniture and stick razor blades in it.  Fishing is a whole different thing.  The skill is making a bass think a piece of plastic tastes good.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2018, 02:02:59 PM
OK, but the word "God" is just a sound some people make when they mean "I don't know."

Unbeliever is just a word people say when ... I don't have creativity for more than that?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 02:49:21 PM
Oh yeah?  Try to get them to not capitalize the word...

And also, I once drove some Islamists nuts trying to differentiate the word for a Roman "god" and "Allah" in English and Arabic.

Amateurs ... G-d, God, god etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 22, 2018, 10:33:24 AM
Driving islamists nuts is child's play!

Any literalists, really.  Anyone who thinks that Moby Dick is real history, not great literature.  Though of course it is based on real events, as all fantasy more or less does (see voyage of the whale ship Essex).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

But Moby Dickers rarely burn anyone at the stake for refusing to believe in the Great White Whale.

Now, the Great Orange Turd....

is a different story.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

We could appropriate Bush's nickname for Karl Rove and apply it to Trump: Turd Blossom.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

If I use Karl Marx to execute you, is that OK?  Particularly if Karl Marx supported the Union, not the Confederacy?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I hope Marx did not think that the Civil War was about freeing the slaves?  When Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation entire Union regiments deserted.  They had signed up to preserve the union, not to end slavery.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 24, 2018, 03:29:54 PM
I hope Marx did not think that the Civil War was about freeing the slaves?  When Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation entire Union regiments deserted.  They had signed up to preserve the union, not to end slavery.

Really?  Marx wanted to free all people (ala Rousseau) from all primitive technology and even more primitive social structures.  The ultimate progressive.  With advance beyond all known technology and social structures, the result would have to be a leisure utopia, like Raisa in Star Trek Next Gen.  Yes, Marx was pro-Union, but in a bigger picture short of way.

Correct, only New England puritanical nut cases like John Brown wanted to free the slaves (false messiahs for false utopias).  Lincoln himself said, the reason to not enslave Black-folk wasn't because they were equal, but because the effort to suppress them destroyed White virtue.  The Union wasn't so happy when in WW I, all those Black sharecroppers moved North to work in the war industries.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteLincoln himself said, the reason to not enslave Black-folk wasn't because they were equal, but because the effort to suppress them destroyed White virtue.

Remarkably close to Robert E. Lee's opinion.

QuoteThere are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things.

Robert E. Lee   1856

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 22, 2018, 10:33:24 AM
Driving islamists nuts is child's play!

Yeah, but they are violent fruitcakes.  A lot like medieval Christians and modern Hindus.  They are all mentally children.  With AK-47s and bombs.