News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Lines of Action Board Game

Started by Unbeliever, December 19, 2018, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I've lately been learning a game that I think is worth sharing with y'all. It's called Lines of Action, and it's a very fun game, because it has very simple rules, and yet some very complicated positions can be achieved. I haven't played it much, but I've lately been playing with a buddy that I showed it to, and he likes it, as well.

I'm hoping that someone here would enjoy playing here. The board is just an 8x8 grid, and the pieces can be anything that can mark the squares. I've been using my chess board and pieces, but you could use checkers or anything.

Each side starts with 2 groups of pieces, and the object of the game it simply to get all the pieces to make one group, with all the pieces on adjacent squares.

It may sound easy, but it's harder than it seems.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 05:37:55 PM
I've lately been learning a game that I think is worth sharing with y'all. It's called Lines of Action, and it's a very fun game, because it has very simple rules, and yet some very complicated positions can be achieved. I haven't played it much, but I've lately been playing with a buddy that I showed it to, and he likes it, as well.

I'm hoping that someone here would enjoy playing here. The board is just an 8x8 grid, and the pieces can be anything that can mark the squares. I've been using my chess board and pieces, but you could use checkers or anything.

Each side starts with 2 groups of pieces, and the object of the game it simply to get all the pieces to make one group, with all the pieces on adjacent squares.

It may sound easy, but it's harder than it seems.
The game does look interesting.  I'll have to give it some time.  I like games with simple rules that can end up in some complicated strategy.  In high school, in Portland, Or, one Armed Forces day, i went onto a Japanese destroyer and had just about the run of the entire ship.  I noticed quite a few sailors playing a type of Go, but not with the chess like rules.  It was simple; using a Go board and pieces, simply get five of your pieces (black or white) to line up in a row--up, down or diagonal--all in a straight line.  I witnessed several boards that were almost covered; one of the sailors explained it to me.  I've been playing it ever since and especially like it with my grandchildren; helps with their concentration.  Your game looks to be as much fun.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the time I can be really good and have an opponent who is even better! What bliss!
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 07:00:57 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the time I can be really good and have an opponent who is even better! What bliss!

OK, that sounds like a few games I've played (where moving is the object instead of capturing).  Ooh, there is even capturing!  I'm going to take a look...

Took a look.  I think I get the idea.  And yeah, I bet it is trickier than it looks.  It seems like a game I loved (Camelot) but csmaller tighter board.  But I think this one is right up my alley. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Even though capturing is allowed, actually capturing in not necessarily good, since the fewer pieces your opponent has the easier it will be for him to get his pieces into a single group. If all his pieces were captured except for one, he'd automatically win.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
Even though capturing is allowed, actually capturing in not necessarily good, since the fewer pieces your opponent has the easier it will be for him to get his pieces into a single group. If all his pieces were captured except for one, he'd automatically win.

ounds like the most dangerous thing to do in reduce your opponent to 2 pieces.  And the best thing is to form an arc that separates one from all the others.  I really want to look at this game.  Obviously, anything I think of before playing is known to all real players...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Blockading and the breaking of blockades is a big part of the game.
God Not Found