What Do You Do When The Cops ARE the Robbers?

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

No Alex Jones is a fucking shithead.

Try to remember that.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 29, 2018, 07:14:48 PM
No Alex Jones is a fucking shithead.

Try to remember that.

And you are (typically) prejudiced.  Try to remember that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

You are correct.  I have a natural hatred of fucking assholes.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 30, 2018, 02:01:09 PM
You are correct.  I have a natural hatred of fucking assholes.

How will you ever be happy then?  The world is covered in fucking assholes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Happy?

Happy??

What is this "happy" of which you speak?

-- H. L. Mencken

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Minimalist

It's a refreshing change when the cops can come up with a little self-deprecating humor. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46728111

QuoteKentucky police mourn doughnut truck fire

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 29, 2018, 03:23:48 PM

Depends on who is looking at them.

How many stories of disparate treatment would you like to see? 

How about a personal one?  Not too long ago while stopped at a light a cop pulled along side, honked his horn and rolled down his window.  When I rolled mine down he said, cheerfully, "you know, both of your brake lights are out?  The top bar is okay but the actual brake lights are both out."  I thanked him and stopped at a auto parts store on the way home to buy two new bulbs.

All of this was accomplished without him drawing his gun even once.  How do you suppose that would have gone down in Georgia or Mississippi if I had been black?

I was driving and a cop pulled me over to mention I had no back license plate.  I got out of the car and he didn't mind a bit.  Darned if he wasn't right.  Someone stole my plate!

He never seemed concerned, never asked if I had a gun, never asked if I had drugs, etc.

But then I'm white...

Things gotta become more fair...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 02, 2019, 05:31:50 AM
I was driving and a cop pulled me over to mention I had no back license plate.  I got out of the car and he didn't mind a bit.  Darned if he wasn't right.  Someone stole my plate!

He never seemed concerned, never asked if I had a gun, never asked if I had drugs, etc.

But then I'm white...

Things gotta become more fair...

i would have shot you.  Shoot every idiot who gets out of their car, no matter what their skin color.

Sorry you lost your license plate, that is a stupid thing for someone to steal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 02, 2019, 11:02:01 AM
Pigs attack wheelchair bound veteran.  I guess they were just good cops being heroic at a fucking WalMart?

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/disturbing-video-shows-cops-pepper-spraying-veteran-point-blank-not-getting-mobility-scooter/

True.  But they aren't there for citizens ... they are there to scare the peasants.  And unless you are stupid, you should be scared.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 02, 2019, 11:02:01 AM
Pigs attack wheelchair bound veteran.  I guess they were just good cops being heroic at a fucking WalMart?

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/disturbing-video-shows-cops-pepper-spraying-veteran-point-blank-not-getting-mobility-scooter/

I hate it when the facts are on both sides.  A citizen declined to cooperate with the police.  So they should have just taken him away for some minor violation. 

But they just HAD to go all-out on this stupid sucker and tear gas him.  Why?  Because they HAD the stuff.  And, sad to say, SOME police (not most) are just desperate to use it. 

There are SOME police saying "please just give me an opportunity".  And there are some jerks just saying "I dare you".  And a lot of the people the police have to confront daily are a bit loose in their minds.

But there was a time when the police just grabbed a person like that and hauled him off to jail for a night of remorse and maybe just sobering-up.  When if you lost a bit of self-control, you didn't get killed for it.

Or getting shot in the back for "attacking the police".  Isn't it amazing how many people attack the police by "running backwards at them"?

And doesn't it seem a bit extreme if someone has to be choked to death when all he was doing was selling a few single cigarettes at slightly higher than the pack rate?  I did that myself in the break room where I worked.  Because when someone asked if he could buy a cigarette from me, it meant I had one less and would have to go out and buy more sooner? 

I understand than police need good weapons.  Criminals have then too.  But why does that mean that using the biggest weapon is the FIRST action they take?

Where did things go this wrong, and how do we stop it? 

Both sides were wrong. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Don't hire veterans for police work.  They have PTSD.  Also strict psych testing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.