What Do You Do When The Cops ARE the Robbers?

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

And this relates to "cop's as wild killers" mythology in what fashion?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 09:13:28 AM
And this relates to "cop's as wild killers" mythology in what fashion?

When people around the person scream that "he has no gun" and he is shot for holding a cell phone.

When people around the person scream that "he has no drugs" and he is shot because he held an open wallet showing his ID.

When people around him scream that "he is having a seizure" and they shoot him anyway.

When video shows that the person "attacking them" was running away.

When "the attacker" was shot in the back".

When video shows a police officer planting a small bag of grass near the body.

When the victims always seem to be a minority person.

Want me to go on...?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Ah, you want perfect behaviour from 800,00-1,000,000 people. Guess what, that's never going to happen. Cops are humans.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 10:10:18 AM
Ah, you want perfect behaviour from 800,00-1,000,000 people. Guess what, that's never going to happen. Cops are humans.

They sure are.  With biases unbecoming the job.  Too many are protected when obviously guilty of sheer murder just because they can get away with it.  There are walls groups construct where they ignore the bad actions of some.  The Blue Wall is one.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 10:38:49 AM
Even liberals find groups to demonize.

I admire and respect the job of "police".  But they don't act as they used to.  Partly it is the introduction of military arms to them and who doesn't want to use that cool stuff?  Which is exactly the problem. 

When the police face criminals every day, they begin to think that everyone is a criminal.  And they want to take down the "bad guys".  I understand that.  But when they internalize the group idea that EVERYONE is "the bad guy", they treat all citizens as if they were. 

THAT is what has to stop.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Minimalist

The cops kill 3 per day on average.   I agree with G/S that the odds of being shot by the cops are small but if you subtract out the people ( whites ) that they are not likely to gun down the odds get a lot worse for minorities.

https://theconversation.com/police-kill-about-3-men-per-day-in-the-us-according-to-new-study-100567

QuotePolice in the U.S. kill on average more than 1,000 men per year, or about three men per day. According to our estimates, police are responsible for about 8 percent of all adult male homicide deaths in the U.S. each year.

Somehow, other more civilized nations manage to avoid such carnage.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 21, 2018, 11:26:38 AM
The cops kill 3 per day on average.   I agree with G/S that the odds of being shot by the cops are small but if you subtract out the people ( whites ) that they are not likely to gun down the odds get a lot worse for minorities.

https://theconversation.com/police-kill-about-3-men-per-day-in-the-us-according-to-new-study-100567

Yeah, its not the number but the social effect, especially when you are "the social effect".  I can go about my business without much care (and seriously, it hardly crosses my mind).  But my next door neighbor is always concerned about "driving while black".  And for good reason.   

Minimalist

To add to which we have the testimony of a US senator.....stopped 7 times over a year while a member of the senate!

https://www.minnpost.com/eric-black-ink/2016/07/driving-while-black-gop-sen-tim-scott-tells-his-experiences/

QuoteDriving while black: GOP Sen. Tim Scott tells of his experiences
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 21, 2018, 11:58:40 AM
To add to which we have the testimony of a US senator.....stopped 7 times over a year while a member of the senate!

https://www.minnpost.com/eric-black-ink/2016/07/driving-while-black-gop-sen-tim-scott-tells-his-experiences/

Reality is sometimes the firmest proof...

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 21, 2018, 11:26:38 AM

Americans are animals.  Other people are master-race.

I would stop every politician driving, about once a block.  Until the lying thieving bastard resigns.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The problem seems to be that the animals are wearing blue.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 21, 2018, 09:58:58 PM
The problem seems to be that the animals are wearing blue.

They wear every color.  BTW - policing started in GB, to protect the upper class from the proles.  It has nothing to do with ... protecting the people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers