What Do You Do When The Cops ARE the Robbers?

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 27, 2018, 01:13:27 AM

Much like pervert priests, far too many cops will lie for their comrades who cross the line.  I do not consider them good cops.

The difficulty is when most cops are "good" and a very few are (quite frankly, rabid racists thinking they have a 007 license to kill), those crazy ones are the ones we hear about most.

But the associated problem is that the good cops protect the bad ones.  THAT is what has to stop.  If we remove the bad x%, the rest will get the respect they deserve and things can improve. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

Yes.

Thank goodness that someone gets it.

As the saying goes:  "If you add a spoonful of wine to a barrel of sewage, you get sewage.  And if you add a spoonful of sewage to a barrel of wine, you get sewage.

Like the pervert priests cops are far more concerned with what their buddies think of them than they are about any silly notions of "justice."
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2018, 09:16:55 PM
Black cops kill civilians too.  If you aren't in a uniform, you are a suspect.

The problem is not black v white.  The problem is black v. blue.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 29, 2018, 12:16:30 AM
Yes.

As the saying goes:  "If you add a spoonful of wine to a barrel of sewage, you get sewage.  And if you add a spoonful of sewage to a barrel of wine, you get sewage.

Like the pervert priests cops are far more concerned with what their buddies think of them than they are about any silly notions of "justice."

In war (and police are soldiers working against domestic enemies) ... you will die for your buddy in the trenches, but not for patriotism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 29, 2018, 12:17:53 AM
The problem is not black v white.  The problem is black v. blue.

You won't admit that Black police aren't Black any longer?  For the police, we are all Black.  A Black policeman is an Oreo, but with a blue filling.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Yes.

I know the sewage thing.  And quite frankly, it is the same in any profession.  The difference is that if your dentist or fast-food person is a rabid racist, it probably doesn't show up as much. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 28, 2018, 11:54:40 PM
The difficulty is when most cops are "good" and a very few are (quite frankly, rabid racists thinking they have a 007 license to kill), those crazy ones are the ones we hear about most.

But the associated problem is that the good cops protect the bad ones.  THAT is what has to stop.  If we remove the bad x%, the rest will get the respect they deserve and things can improve. 
Keep making cops look like bad guys and only bad guys will want to be cops.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Yep, every single one of them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2018, 11:29:25 AM
Keep making cops look like bad guys and only bad guys will want to be cops.

No, I said most cops are good people.  It's the very few (as in any job) that go wrong.

I had a college dorm guy who was totally fucking NUTS.  He was just plain crazy.  One time, he stood on the back of a VW Bug wearing only a cape and holding a flaming broom around the dorms for 15 minutes before the campus cops arrived.

He became a MD State Trooper when he failed out a year later.  THAT is the kind of person who scares the crap out of me. 

An uncle, on the the other hand, was the cop I would trust in any situation and most were just like him.  If there was a problem, he would talk, then grab a loonie down trying not to hurt that person, often at grest risk to himself.  He never fired a shot because he didn't have to.

That's the person I want to be my local cop.  And THAT is the kind of person everyone should see as a Cop...

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 11:56:23 AM
No, I said most cops are good people.  It's the very few (as in any job) that go wrong.

I had a college dorm guy who was totally fucking NUTS.  He was just plain crazy.  One time, he stood on the back of a VW Bug wearing only a cape and holding a flaming broom around the dorms for 15 minutes before the campus cops arrived.

He became a MD State Trooper when he failed out a year later.  THAT is the kind of person who scares the crap out of me. 

An uncle, on the the other hand, was the cop I would trust in any situation and most were just like him.  If there was a problem, he would talk, then grab a loonie down trying not to hurt that person, often at grest risk to himself.  He never fired a shot because he didn't have to.

That's the person I want to be my local cop.  And THAT is the kind of person everyone should see as a Cop...

So send in the cops, not the mental health department?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2018, 12:31:04 PM
So send in the cops, not the mental health department?

A good Cop IS a mental health person...  And a lot more.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 12:32:51 PM
A good Cop IS a mental health person...  And a lot more.

And you a brain surgeon, because you sent in that coupon on the back of the comic book, even though you wanted the swirly hypnosis glasses instead.

In IT, we can't even get our own techs to pass the Comptia certifications.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2018, 12:34:41 PM
And you a brain surgeon, because you sent in that coupon on the back of the comic book, even though you wanted the swirly hypnosis glasses instead.

In IT, we can't even get our own techs to pass the Comptia certifications.

Neither claim I make or ever made.  And I was too smart at 11 for the comic book ads.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 12:38:11 PM
Neither claim I make or ever made.  And I was too smart at 11 for the comic book ads.

Yeah, I bet you were every advert executive's nightmare ;-)

Right now we recruit cops from semi-messed up veterans.  That can't be optimum, I can give you that.  Part of my point earlier being, you do have to pass a certification test to become a cop in most jurisdiction (and in others you have to graduate from a cop academy).  Really messed up veterans go to work for Blackwater, which is Hillary's private army.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.