Damned Catholics - The Gift That Keeps On Giving!

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteA group of Catholic priests in Poland have reportedly burned books they deem sacrilegious, including those from the popular Harry Potter series.

The BBC reports that an evangelical group called SMS from Heaven Foundation posted pictures on its Facebook page showing Harry Potter books atop a burning fire pit, along with an elephant figure and a tribal mask...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii9k_aROOA8

Harry Potter books burned by Polish priests alarmed by magic

"Our magic is the only magic you're allowed to think about!"

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 06, 2019, 08:07:20 PM

Harry Potter books burned by Polish priests alarmed by magic

"Our magic is the only magic you're allowed to think about!"

There are superstitious people everywhere.  The good thought is that all superstitions slowly fade away (like flat-earthers).  And yes, I know there are still some, but they USED to be a majority and they aren't now.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 03:56:11 AM
There are superstitious people everywhere.  The good thought is that all superstitions slowly fade away (like flat-earthers).  And yes, I know there are still some, but they USED to be a majority and they aren't now.

I am glad you aren't afraid of black cats ;-)  My own black cat would be very non-plussed if you were ... or non-pussed specifically.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 04:22:28 AM
I am glad you aren't afraid of black cats ;-)  My own black cat would be very non-plussed if you were ... or non-pussed specifically.

Ah cats...  Since cats don't control the color of their fur, blaming them for it or assigning negative aspects to fur-color WOULD be pretty absurd.  I, for one, do not assign any negative values to black cats or any other color.  In fact, my cat Iza, a siamese-color Tonkinese has a boycatfriend whose fur is black.  She loves him dearly...

But aside from that, I am no more concerned with a black cat crossing my path than I am about a white one or a calico one or an orange one.  I happily walk under ladders (looking above of course), stepping on sidewalk cracks, or any other superstition. 

Europe sort of deserved the Plague for killing cats "as servants of witches" which allowed flea-bearing rats to spread throughout Europe.  The Law Of Unintended Consequences wrapped up in superstition, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 04:34:23 AM
Ah cats...  Since cats don't control the color of their fur, blaming them for it or assigning negative aspects to fur-color WOULD be pretty absurd.  I, for one, do not assign any negative values to black cats or any other color.  In fact, my cat Iza, a siamese-color Tonkinese has a boycatfriend whose fur is black.  She loves him dearly...

But aside from that, I am no more concerned with a black cat crossing my path than I am about a white one or a calico one or an orange one.  I happily walk under ladders (looking above of course), stepping on sidewalk cracks, or any other superstition. 

Europe sort of deserved the Plague for killing cats "as servants of witches" which allowed flea-bearing rats to spread throughout Europe.  The Law Of Unintended Consequences wrapped up in superstition, LOL!

There was a study on the Plague of Justinian ... that happened around 550 CE.  This was crucial for the depopulation that assisted the later Muslim conquest.  Basically Central Africa around the headwaters of the Nile, is a breading ground for plague mutations.  The germ virility is sensitive to temperature, going out of control at somewhat colder temperatures than normally found at the Equator.  There was a major pre-Krakatoa eruption around that time that dropped the temperature due to dust and sulphur dioxide in the stratosphere.  Because there was all this elephant ivory trade going on from E Africa (the point of departure) up to Constantinople, that is how a new plague strain got out of Africa and up to the ME and SE Europe.  Not unlike Aids using easy jet travel out of Africa to get to new victims.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 08:40:47 AM
There was a study on the Plague of Justinian ... that happened around 550 CE.  This was crucial for the depopulation that assisted the later Muslim conquest.  Basically Central Africa around the headwaters of the Nile, is a breading ground for plague mutations.  The germ virility is sensitive to temperature, going out of control at somewhat colder temperatures than normally found at the Equator.  There was a major pre-Krakatoa eruption around that time that dropped the temperature due to dust and sulphur dioxide in the stratosphere.  Because there was all this elephant ivory trade going on from E Africa (the point of departure) up to Constantinople, that is how a new plague strain got out of Africa and up to the ME and SE Europe.  Not unlike Aids using easy jet travel out of Africa to get to new victims.

I know about that idea and don't agree, but nice summary.  And weather fluctuations do matter.  But most evidence suggests The Plague arrived in Europe via fleas on rats on maritime vessels from the Silk Road to the north of the Mid East to Italy due to the temperatures the flea parasites could tolerate.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 03:43:43 PM
I know about that idea and don't agree, but nice summary.  And weather fluctuations do matter.  But most evidence suggests The Plague arrived in Europe via fleas on rats on maritime vessels from the Silk Road to the north of the Mid East to Italy due to the temperatures the flea parasites could tolerate.

Wrong plague.  The plague arrived multiple times.  You are thinking of the Black Death of 1326, and it started in China and moved West.  This one was from E Africa and moved north.  Again, both propagated long distance because of long distance land and sea trade.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 04:21:50 PM
Wrong plague.  The plague arrived multiple times.  You are thinking of the Black Death of 1326, and it started in China and moved West.  This one was from E Africa and moved north.  Again, both propagated long distance because of long distance land and sea trade.

OK, that was some fun research.  So you are talking about the Justinian Plague of 541 which started in Central Africa and spread north.  I had not realized that bacillus Yersinia pestis could survive there.  Thank you for that, and I will try to remember about that in the future.  My understanding of the bacillus Yersinia pestis was that it required temperate zones like the Asian steppes to survive.

Cool...

Unbeliever

Well, if you don't learn something new every day, you're just not trying hard enough! :-D
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 06:03:19 PM
OK, that was some fun research.  So you are talking about the Justinian Plague of 541 which started in Central Africa and spread north.  I had not realized that bacillus Yersinia pestis could survive there.  Thank you for that, and I will try to remember about that in the future.  My understanding of the bacillus Yersinia pestis was that it required temperate zones like the Asian steppes to survive.

Cool...

but was it the same organism?  There are many varieties of germ.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Primary source ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxQGgEcAwDs

Modern theory ... in two parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUz5Vjq9-s

In short, without natural disasters, history wouldn't be what it is.  That is something Marx can't account for, since his view is entirely humanistic and political/economic.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Yes, bacteria mutate.  Something else the assholes who scribbled out that bible bullshit did not know.

I guess our troll left?
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on April 20, 2019, 08:41:58 PM
Yes, bacteria mutate.  Something else the assholes who scribbled out that bible bullshit did not know.

I guess our troll left?

Perhaps he/she left.  But your irrational anger did not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

QuoteUnderneath the Vatican College, forensic experts say thousands of bones are found from dozens of humans, and could hold answers to the 3-decade-old disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozAW8en4fE

I've always suspected the Vatican of having skeletons in its closet, but this is ridiculous.
God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.