Damned Catholics - The Gift That Keeps On Giving!

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 05, 2019, 03:02:34 PM
Let being "right" be the reward.  Sometimes, it is all we have.

Humanity is a clear failure.  There is no "right".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

So we have an organization who claims they are moral authority of the world and they say "masturbation is considered to be objectively disordered and intrinsically evil" while it defends hundreds of priests who performed sex acts with children.

Yeah, not buying it.

A third of US Catholics think priests are not honest or ethical

The proportion of US Catholics who regard priests as honest and ethical has plummeted to a record low of fewer than one in three, according to a survey.

The fall of 18 percentage points between 2017 and 2018 is attributed to the last year’s scandals over clerical sexual abuse.
Fewer than half of the Catholics surveyed by Gallup said they had confidence in organised religion, a drop of eight percentage points over the period.

The poll was conducted four months after the publication of a scathing grand jury report into sexual abuse and its cover-up by Catholic priests and bishops in Pennsylvania.

An investigation found that at least 300 priests had abused about 1,000 children and vulnerable adults over 70 years, and that their superiors had either stood by or in some cases actively covered up criminal acts. ...

Unbeliever

And it didn't start 70 years ago, it's been going on for centuries.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

A third of US Catholics think priests are not honest or ethical

Which makes me wonder WTF is wrong with the other two thirds.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on January 11, 2019, 06:00:11 PM

Which makes me wonder WTF is wrong with the other two thirds.

The attempt to eliminate sexual urges in the name of "purity" leads to inappropriate outlets.

I doubt that married priests would be so "disturbed" in their limited opportunities for sex.  On the other hand, that so many religious authorities would molest children says a lot about the damaging thoughts that religion creates.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 03:18:31 AM
The attempt to eliminate sexual urges in the name of "purity" leads to inappropriate outlets.

I doubt that married priests would be so "disturbed" in their limited opportunities for sex.  On the other hand, that so many religious authorities would molest children says a lot about the damaging thoughts that religion creates.

Correct.  But pedophiles would still have those urges.  And by far, the unannounced problem is priests with women and girls.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 08:02:49 AM
Correct.  But pedophiles would still have those urges.  And by far, the unannounced problem is priests with women and girls.

No, I'm claiming that the very structure of denying priests a normal life causes it.  Religion (and note that for once I'm saying "religion"  rather than "a deity")  is the cause...

"Religion" is where "belief" and "organization" combine to fuck up (literally)...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 10:04:55 AM
No, I'm claiming that the very structure of denying priests a normal life causes it.  Religion (and note that for once I'm saying "religion"  rather than "a deity")  is the cause...

"Religion" is where "belief" and "organization" combine to fuck up (literally)...

So only celibates are pedophiles?  Not saying I endorse priest celibacy ... I have always opposed it, so does the E Orthodox Church and Protestantism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

QuoteThe pope signaled his intention to harness the power of technology to reach out to young people by launching a prayer app three days before he will attend a Catholic youth festival in Panama.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/prayer-pope-francis-launches-click-pray-app-unite/story?id=60519749

https://clicktopray.org/

This will make it so much easier for God-botherers to - uh...bother God. Ain't technology grand?

Apparently the RCC wants to "reach out to young people." Sure, what's wrong with that? They've been doing that for a long time, and only recently got in a bit of a kerfuffle for it...
God Not Found

Minimalist

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 10:04:55 AM

Hmmm...  I wonder CB.  Don't you think that if you take a group of people and tell them that "god" thinks they are very special that it doesn't go to their heads?  Throughout history priests have always considered themselves special.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

QuoteCBS News correspondent Nikki Battiste joined CBSN to discuss new sexual abuse allegations in the Catholic Church. At least 18 people have come forward to say they were sexually abused by nuns. The alleged victims said they felt compelled to talk after a Pennsylvania grand jury identified hundreds of "pedophile priests."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xp9aEzhN3A
God Not Found

Baruch

Ironic that Puritans (now atheists not Protestants) find Catholicism bad?  There is no right/wrong, just like/dislike.

One of the prior reported abuses in Irish Catholic circles (in Ireland) was abuse of corporal punishment.  Not as titillating as sexual abuse though.

So when will atheists begin the "dunking" of witches and "burning" of heretics?

"Moral Panic" is a thing in social cyclical history.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

QuoteIreland wanted to forget, but the dead don't always stay buried. One woman made it her mission to unearth the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoulaehrD_I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Secours_Mother_and_Baby_Home
God Not Found

Unbeliever

That kind of shit didn't just happen in Ireland:

This is the haunting story of children who survived horrors in American orphanages, and their fight to make the world believe them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o13yTTAeM30
God Not Found

Baruch

Ah yes, but far better than orphanages, let's just have free sex, violation of marriage vows, abortion and infanticide.  Of course one bad turn deserves another.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.