Damned Catholics - The Gift That Keeps On Giving!

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Jonathan on April 02, 2019, 11:30:03 PM
Act 11:26  And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.  (This was many years before Catholicism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were mostly Messianic Jews, some of which followed Paul, some who followed Peter etc.  Paul was different, in that on his ekklesia you could join without converting to Judaism first.  The division being the question of circumcision.  ME men were commonly circumcised, not just Jews.  Other people regarding circumcision with abhorrence.  That is the difference between ekklesia and synagogue ... ekklesia is an open assembly of all, synagogue is the assembly of a minority.  You can guess which one proved more popular with Gentiles.

The majority of Messianic Jews of all types, having been destroyed by other Jewish factions and by the Romans, by 135 CE ... this only left pacifist Messianic Jews and non-Messianic Jews (who became the Rabbinic faction).  Paul's pacifists eventually triumphed over the others, because of being open to Gentile membership, and being basically a do-it-yourself welfare agency (the only one available).  See the discussion early in Acts, regarding the food bank in Jerusalem.

Without the adoption of Orthodox Christianity (not Catholic) by Constantine, Christianity might be a movement, but not a major religion.  With Constantine, and later Theodosius and Justinian (all Byzantine Emperors) we have institutional Christianity.  Of course Christians (mostly Gentiles by this time anyway) had lost a lot of their distinctive culture, having made this bargain with Satan (establishment of Church vs private house churches).

Lesser versions of "establishment" having happened around this time outside the Roman Empire, in Armenia and Ethiopia.  The Christians in Persian lands (Nsetorians) never having reached a critical mass necessary for "establishment", though they evangelized as far as India and China.  Nestorians in the ME being overrun not long after, by Islam.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jonathan on April 02, 2019, 11:30:03 PM
Act 11:26  And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.  (This was many years before Catholicism

That's nice.  Was it many years?  How do you know?  Did not your fictional jesus found the church with peter the head--at least that is one version from the bible (which is a work of fiction, as well).
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

So is the book of Acts of the Apostles a work of fiction, written long after the purported events.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 03, 2019, 01:17:37 PM
So is the book of Acts of the Apostles a work of fiction, written long after the purported events.

Yes, Jerusalem and Jews never existed ;-)  That was a Roman Alex Jones saying that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jonathan

Are you guys confident in your unbelief? I’m new here so I don’t know if you all are jiving or really don’t believe in God?

Minimalist

I am.

No believer in any invisible sky-daddy has ever been able to produce evidence that said sky-daddy exists.

It is a record of failure which is unsurpassed in human history!
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Jonathan

Go down to the airport, look over all the jets and planes, then tell me there was no creator of those flying machines. Take a look at the Big Dipper, your hand, a DNA helix info strand and the info reader that reads it, and then tell me there is no God, and it all just fell out of a primordial swamp somewhere ;)

Minimalist

So in one short post we have learned that you know fuckall about engineering, biology, and astrophysics.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

drunkenshoe

Poland - Harry Potter books burned by Polish priests alarmed by magic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47771706

"We obey the Word"

Aren't you alarmed by magic?! 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on April 04, 2019, 02:00:03 AM
So in one short post we have learned that you know fuckall about engineering, biology, and astrophysics.

Aerospace engineers created those planes.  Not SJWs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jonathan on April 04, 2019, 01:44:17 AM
Are you guys confident in your unbelief? I’m new here so I don’t know if you all are jiving or really don’t believe in God?

Since you are posting to an atheist board, what is it you expect?  Do you know what 'atheist' means?  Can your read?  Since you are a theist, we already know you have faulty reasoning, at best.  And are you 'jiving' me that you really do believe in a real, factual god? Really????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Minimalist

"Troll" seems like a very good possibility, Mike.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jonathan on April 04, 2019, 01:44:17 AM

Yes, I'm very comfortable with my unbelief, since I've given it a lot of thought and feel that I have very good reasons to not believe in any God - but especially the Judeo/Christian/Islamic version of a God as described in the Bible/Quran.

How confident are you with your belief in God?

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Jonathan, I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of gods you don't believe in, such as Zeus, Shiva, etc., so you know what it feels like to not believe in those gods. That's how it is for me to not believe in your god. For a long time people believed in many gods, and now they only believe in one, so at least they're getting closer to the truth.
God Not Found

Jonathan

Well , that’s a lot to respond to, but I am very comfortable in my beliefs. After all, religion is the opioid of the masses, right ;) As far as those other Gods, they all stem from Nimrod. As for Jehovah God, there is an astronomical amount of evidence that He exists. As far as objectively, the heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork. There is so much design in our world it is beyond the possibility that it is by chance. You have to have more faith to believe their is no God, than there is.