Damned Catholics - The Gift That Keeps On Giving!

Started by Minimalist, December 19, 2018, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaLioness

I should say I am a recovering Catholic too. :)

And I should have written "we are both divorced" in my post. Maybe instead of SeaLioness I should have picked the user name QueenOfTypos because that's really what I am.

But yeah, I am damned in the Catholic Church for a lot of things. And being in an unapologetic, loving, consensual relationship with a fellow divorced adult seems to be one of them. It's even worse because the church considers him to be still married (even though he's divorced and he is not a Catholic and never was). Their rules of morality seem to apply to non-Catholics as well.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SeaLioness on September 04, 2019, 10:07:44 AM

And I should have written "we are both divorced" in my post. Maybe instead of SeaLioness I should have picked the user name QueenOfTypos because that's really what I am.

But yeah, I am damned in the Catholic Church for a lot of things. And being in an unapologetic, loving, consensual relationship with a fellow divorced adult seems to be one of them. It's even worse because the church considers him to be still married (even though he's divorced and he is not a Catholic and never was). Their rules of morality seem to apply to non-Catholics as well.
You say--Their rules of morality--Don't buy into that word.  The catholic church is not 'moral' in my eyes.  Actually, I don't particularly like to use that word.  All religions suggest they now what 'morality' is since it is dictated by god.  But god is a fiction and it is clear that all facets of the catholic church is man made--including what is labeled as moral.  The 10 Commandments is often displayed and refereed to as a moral foundation for mankind.  The fact is that there is not just one place where the OT tells us of the commandments, but three.  And only one of the three labels the 10 (and they all differ); for there is actually over 600 commandments sprinkled throughout the OT. The catholic church was created by men to use as propaganda and control of a large group of people; and to be used for the gathering of power and wealth.  It has succeeded beyond all they had hoped for!   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Yeah, Mike, as Pope Leo X said, "It has served us well, this myth of Christ." It's been all about power in the hands of an elite few ever since Constantine took the religion for his own purposes and made it into a weapon of mass control.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 04, 2019, 01:45:03 PM
Yeah, Mike, as Pope Leo X said, "It has served us well, this myth of Christ." It's been all about power in the hands of an elite few ever since Constantine took the religion for his own purposes and made it into a weapon of mass control.

But if anti-Roman, then are you pro-Barbarian?  Which tribe? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 04, 2019, 01:45:03 PM

I no more believe that the average Pope truly believes in the Jesus Myth anymore than I believe that Trump believes in democracy or Putin believes in communism
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 06, 2019, 11:16:00 PM
I no more believe that the average Pope truly believes in the Jesus Myth anymore than I believe that Trump believes in democracy or Putin believes in communism

See where agnosticism leads you!!  Total confusion.  I don't think you believe in Cavebear ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2019, 11:20:07 PM
See where agnosticism leads you!!  Total confusion.  I don't think you believe in Cavebear ;-))

I think Cavebear exists.  The question is whether I should say Cogito Ergo Sum or Cher's "I Believe"...

Cavebear

Quote from: SeaLioness on September 04, 2019, 10:07:44 AM

For what it is worth, my Dad was vaguely Protestant and Mom was vaguely Ctaholic.  Her parents liked him a lot, but when they chose to marry, Mom was discommunicated and offed from their Will.  Religious people can be both inconsistent and weird.  They lived happily ever after.

Mom used to say she was taught that "If you were bad, you went to Hell, but if you were REALLY bad you were a Protestant".

As far as we can tell, that never matterred much.

Baruch

When my grandfather had brought my father home from the hospital (my grandmother had just died from an infected caesarean) .. there was some dispute with a Catholic priest.  Grandpa thru the priest out of his house.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2019, 12:56:15 AM
When my grandfather had brought my father home from the hospital (my grandmother had just died from an infected caesarean) .. there was some dispute with a Catholic priest.  Grandpa thru the priest out of his house.

And down the stairs among hungry dogs, I hope!  At least tell me it was into the muck in the streets.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 12:59:00 AM
And down the stairs among hungry dogs, I hope!  At least tell me it was into the muck in the streets.

Grandpa refused to baptize my dad, into the Catholic Church.  I think Grandma was Catholic, but would have been "fallen" given Grandpa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2019, 01:01:03 AM
Grandpa refused to baptize my dad, into the Catholic Church.  I think Grandma was Catholic, but would have been "fallen" given Grandpa.

Reverse here, I suppose.  Was sprinkled with water myself.  Wasn't quite able to object at the time.  But I don't think silly religious rituals matter to babies.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2019, 01:19:40 AM
Reverse here, I suppose.  Was sprinkled with water myself.  Wasn't quite able to object at the time.  But I don't think silly religious rituals matter to babies.

Correct, infant baptism was for worry wart parents, because of high infant mortality, in the 300s in the new Christian Roman Empire.  Tradition!!

Protestants are correct about age 13+ (adult) baptism.  Same as Bar Mitzvah.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2019, 02:32:03 AM
Correct, infant baptism was for worry wart parents, because of high infant mortality, in the 300s in the new Christian Roman Empire.  Tradition!!

Protestants are correct about age 13+ (adult) baptism.  Same as Bar Mitzvah.

Well, at least I wasn't sprinkled twice.  By 13 I was already a definite atheist.

Baruch

It isn't magic.

We are friends in a boxing ring?  Don't cry too much if my glove connects.  Fight club is right here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.